"Christianity" in America

It comes as no surprise as the Anglican/Episcopal church and other mainline denominations have largely strayed away from the Word of God just to appease popular culture.

I think it's fair to say that many evangelicals are strong supporters of Donald Trump. How do they reconcile their Christian convictions with their support of a shameless liar, bully and adulterer to lead the country and represent America to the world?

This is a genuine question - I don't understand how they square their consciences.

Did I say, anywhere in my post, that Christianity was to "blame"?

Short answer...NO.

Next...

What does this mean "Christianity" in America? You then go on to post the article about an asshole who is a priest ( do priests have wives?).

The quotes denote an emphasis. In your thread title the emphasis is on Christianity.

True Christianity isn't about feeding the poor, and whatnot, it's about a living, vital relationship with the Sovereign God of Creation through Jesus Christ, and the only way to establish that is through the Cross on God's terms. Now, that being said, the ministries we do engage in are not to earn salvation, but to be a testimony to a needy world to the awesome life changing power of God. And anyone who thinks we must keep our faith to ourselves ignore Matthew chapter 28 which COMMANDS us to "go forth and make disciples" meaning our faith and our testimony to God's work in our lives needs to be shared.

testify

I think it's fair to say that many evangelicals are strong supporters of Donald Trump. How do they reconcile their Christian convictions with their support of a shameless liar, bully and adulterer to lead the country and represent America to the world?

This is a genuine question - I don't understand how they square their consciences.

Especially when many of them considered Obama to be the anti-Christ. Bizarre

I know many avowed atheists who do selfless acts all the time. I have to confess I am too selfish to do all that I could for others but that is not a consequence of my atheism. My wife can't watch a damn commercial for Shriners or orphans or what have you without drying her tears with a fat check. She's an atheist. Religion has dick to do with empathy.

Also beautifully -- and hilariously -- said. Kudos! lol

You are absolutely right about empathy, btw. It's a trait you have or don't have to some degree, but the degree (IMO) depends on whether your family taught and practiced it. From what I've sadly seen in my life, many of the self-proclaimed devout weren't given much instruction.

I hope we get some worthy responses. It's something I've puzzled over myself since The Great Turd came to be Kin... er, POTUS.

My husband's family are mostly fundie Xtians and conservatives as well. The only one of them I felt I could discuss this with during the election cycle was his youngest sister, we're pretty tight. She is a one-issue voter and that issue is abortion. She wanted someone who would fill that empty SCt seat with a conservative justice who just might overturn Roe v Wade. She agrees with me that Trump is a disgusting swine and probably not Christian in the least -- but if elected she would get the conservative justice she wanted.

LOL...so sad that family wasn't able to teach or practice....and certainly, nothing shared of any value...how sad...

A big round of applause for "the religion of peace"!

Indiana priest kidnapped his own wife, beat her and then raped her in horrific attack: police

An Indianapolis priest — the first of his archdiocese to be ordained despite being married — has been taken into custody for kidnapping his wife, beating her, and then sexually assaulting her after he caught her with another man.

According to Fox43, Father Luke W. Reese, 49, was taken into custody and charged with criminal confinement, kidnapping, domestic battery, and intimidation after he reportedly found his wife in the backseat of a car with a man in 2017.

The report states that Reese, a former Anglican priest who was part of a group ordained into the Catholic Church in 2016, came upon his his wife in the car, ordered her out, then drove around Indianapolis with her as his captive while blasting heavy metal music at her.

According to his wife’s statement to police, Reese drove to Holy Rosary Catholic Church where she said he made her kneel at the altar, claimed he could choke her, then slammed her into a wall before banging her head against their car before driving her to her “90-something-year-old” grandmother’s house to confess.

The wife’s affidavit also states Reese subsequently took her home, ripped off her clothes, then shredded other clothes “that he thought were slutty,” before he raped her.

According to Holy Rosary Catholic Church, Reese is currently taking a leave of absence, saying in a statement: “Father Reese notified me that he was experiencing some personal and family issues which would require a greater amount of his attention,” and admonishing parishioners to respect his privacy with the warning to “mind your own business.”

https://www.rawstory.com/2018/03/in...apped-wife-beat-raped-horrific-attack-police/

LIBERAL HYPOCRISY ALERT!!!!!​

hypocrisy-meter.gif

Red-Alert-3.gif

Love the stories, Fowl.....but really... you can't believe that anyone buys them...do you? The majority of what you post isn't truthful..that's a given...

I hope we get some worthy responses. It's something I've puzzled over myself since The Great Turd came to be Kin... er, POTUS.

My husband's family are mostly fundie Xtians and conservatives as well. The only one of them I felt I could discuss this with during the election cycle was his youngest sister, we're pretty tight. She is a one-issue voter and that issue is abortion. She wanted someone who would fill that empty SCt seat with a conservative justice who just might overturn Roe v Wade. She agrees with me that Trump is a disgusting swine and probably not Christian in the least -- but if elected she would get the conservative justice she wanted.
Which is why many of us voted. To protect the SCOTUS. That being said, I don't know Trump's position concerning his salvation. But if it is recent, and I believe it is, then give him room to make mistakes. Because the POTUS should never be expected to be perfect.

Which is why many of us voted. To protect the SCOTUS. That being said, I don't know Trump's position concerning his salvation. But if it is recent, and I believe it is, then give him room to make mistakes. Because the POTUS should never be expected to be perfect.

He's publicly stated that he is no need of repenting for anything.

I don't subscribe to your (group your) Xtian viewpoint about repenting, redemption, forgiveness, etc. Basically when it comes to political things all I care about is "Is this good for the country?" Couldn't care less what the POTUS's religious faith is, or if he/she doesn't have one.

Maybe you missed my other question. What do you think of the "Prosperity" preachers like Joel Osteen and Paula White, and their message?

Hello, Tranquillus,

In the U.S. politics and religion are practically the same thing. Each is based on delusions to the point of being intertwined. Each side believes the other is evil and stupid.

In my opinion, Jimmy Carter is the only U.S. president since JFK who isn't/wasn't sociopathic. And those two had their shares of psychopaths in their administrations.

Look at President Obama. He promised to shut down Guantanamo Bay and end the stupid "war on terror." Instead, he took us from two wars to several. And the anti-war movement, such as it was, all but disappeared.

Most of us are pretty good at, "squaring" our consciences.

He's publicly stated that he is no need of repenting for anything.

I don't subscribe to your (group your) Xtian viewpoint about repenting, redemption, forgiveness, etc. Basically when it comes to political things all I care about is "Is this good for the country?" Couldn't care less what the POTUS's religious faith is, or if he/she doesn't have one.

Maybe you missed my other question. What do you think of the "Prosperity" preachers like Joel Osteen and Paula White, and their message?
1) (bolded) That is the core doctrine of Christianity. That Salvation is a gift given by God, not something to earn or work for (Ephesians 2vv8-9). And that is because more than anything the Sovereign God of Creation wants a relationship with us sinful, imperfect people, and that no amount of works, or even being a "good" person can save you. But it is still up to the individual. Which leads to (2) "Prosperity Gospel", "Name it Claim it", or more properly, "Word of Faith" preaching. This is contrary to Biblical teachings and the basic fundamentals of true Christian faith. Two fantastic reads on the subject, both still in publication and available at www.equip.org, are Counterfeit Revival critiquing the Toronto Blessing and Christianity in Crisis which exposes the WoF movement for what it is; a reproach to the Gospel. Both written by Hank Hanegraaf.

1) (bolded) That is the core doctrine of Christianity. That Salvation is a gift given by God, not something to earn or work for (Ephesians 2vv8-9). And that is because more than anything the Sovereign God of Creation wants a relationship with us sinful, imperfect people, and that no amount of works, or even being a "good" person can save you. But it is still up to the individual. Which leads to (2) "Prosperity Gospel", "Name it Claim it", or more properly, "Word of Faith" preaching. This is contrary to Biblical teachings and the basic fundamentals of true Christian faith. Two fantastic reads on the subject, both still in publication and available at www.equip.org, are Counterfeit Revival critiquing the Toronto Blessing and Christianity in Crisis which exposes the WoF movement for what it is; a reproach to the Gospel. Both written by Hank Hanegraaf.

Thanks for your explanation.

Also beautifully -- and hilariously -- said. Kudos! lol

You are absolutely right about empathy, btw. It's a trait you have or don't have to some degree, but the degree (IMO) depends on whether your family taught and practiced it. From what I've sadly seen in my life, many of the self-proclaimed devout weren't given much instruction.

Empathy is a characteristic that Trump is devoid of.

Back