College Football 2018 - minus the troll

I should add that when the original Baltimore Orioles moved to NYC in 1913, and became the Highlanders, it was not an extremely lucrative franchise, nor was it anything close to being the juggernaut that was the NY Giants. The Yankees became the Evil Empire by winning fucking games.

Are you daft man, it isn't a sports forum, you just want to tell us how great you think Alabama is, nobody cares, it is a college football program, one that has born on third base which you are now all giddy about cause they hit a home run

Born on third base? LMAO!! What the hell are you talking about? The University of Alabama has been a major football power off and on since the 1930s. It has also been a downtrodden used-to-be program many times during that time. And now, Alabama is riding a dynasty the likes of which has never been seen in college football.

You just get pissy about it and try to demean it. First it was that Bama cheats. Then it was semi-pro because Bama pays the players. Then it was because Alabama has more money to spend than any other team. All of which are without merit or evidence.

Take a hike, junior. I am willing to discuss the teams that are relevant. And will continue to do so. I am just tired of refuting your ridiculous claims.

Until about two years ago, Baylor was consistently ranked high. The reason UCF is not getting into the playoff is because their level of competition is a joke. Contrast that with Notre Dame, who gets a pass on not having to compete for conference titles by having a competitive schedule. The conferences are referred to as "Power Five" for a reason.

No one anticipates the playoff remaining at four teams. It was the only way of transitioning from the two-team BCS format, however. Ultimately, it will be the job of rational people to ram a stake through the black (and hilariously stupid) heart of Bowl mania. If they preserve the only five that matter, and that should ever have come to exist (Rose, Sun, Cotton, Sugar, Orange, and, maybe, Fiesta), then it will free-up a lot of space for more teams to be available to compete for a spot in the CFP. Or else shorten the regular season to ten games, and then sneak in the bowl games prior to meaningful stuff like the conference title games.

Disagree, UCF was never going to reach that high regardless, and Notre Dame would never be that high if they had started out unranked and their name wasn't Notre Dame. Had they been say Wake Forest undefeated they wouldn't be in the top four

Doubtful any change will come to the current playoff system any time soon, too much money being raked in by the teams on top. None of the Power Leagues want to see a Loyola of Chicago beating their marque team in an early game.

The only respectable playoff would be sixteen teams, but that ain't happening because it mean they would have to cut back to ten regular games a year, and those schools aren't giving up the big payday playing the Little Sisters of the Poor in early September

Disagree, UCF was never going to reach that high regardless, and Notre Dame would never be that high if they had started out unranked and their name wasn't Notre Dame. Had they been say Wake Forest undefeated they wouldn't be in the top four

Doubtful any change will come to the current playoff system any time soon, too much money being raked in by the teams on top. None of the Power Leagues want to see a Loyola of Chicago beating their marque team in an early game.

The only respectable playoff would be sixteen teams, but that ain't happening because it mean they would have to cut back to ten regular games a year, and those schools aren't giving up the big payday playing the Little Sisters of the Poor in early September

Notre Dame has a unique scheduling system. If BYU (also independent) played the same schedule, with the same level of success, it would be ranked #3. As I stated above, we only just achieved this playoff system in 2014. We only achieved the BCS playoff system in 1998. We will eventually add at least four more teams.

Born on third base? LMAO!! What the hell are you talking about? The University of Alabama has been a major football power off and on since the 1930s. It has also been a downtrodden used-to-be program many times during that time. And now, Alabama is riding a dynasty the likes of which has never been seen in college football.

You just get pissy about it and try to demean it. First it was that Bama cheats. Then it was semi-pro because Bama pays the players. Then it was because Alabama has more money to spend than any other team. All of which are without merit or evidence.

Take a hike, junior. I am willing to discuss the teams that are relevant. And will continue to do so. I am just tired of refuting your ridiculous claims.

Really? Don't get out there much in Alabama I see, acting like they hit a home run after they were born on third, think about it

I gave you plenty of sources supporting my position and you just dismissed them as "hearsay," not much more I can do, and just by the fact you fell the need to add the personal crapola kinda shows you yourself aren't entirely sure what you are refuting isn't true

Notre Dame has a unique scheduling system. If BYU (also independent) played the same schedule, with the same level of success, it would be ranked #3. As I stated above, we only just achieved this playoff system in 2014. We only achieved the BCS playoff system in 1998. We will eventually add at least four more teams.

What is so unique about Notre Dame's schedule? They are locked into a number of ACC games, a few traditional rivals, and one or two big games, not a whole lot different than some those schools even within the power five conferences

If it even gets to eight teams it won't be for another decade, and that will be it, eight is a controllable number for those that rule the nest, as I mentioned, you aren't going to get a Loyola of Chicago with eight teams

What is so unique about Notre Dame's schedule? They are locked into a number of ACC games, a few traditional rivals, and one or two big games, not a whole lot different than some those schools even within the power five conferences

If it even gets to eight teams it won't be for another decade, and that will be it, eight is a controllable number for those that rule the nest, as I mentioned, you aren't going to get a Loyola of Chicago with eight teams

Notre Dame has certainly watered down its schedule by getting locked-into that ACC deal. That said, it basically treats half of those conference games as the lesser opponents, the same way that those opponents would schedule FCS opponents.

You are being a whiny child about the state of the playoff. College football began in 1869, and we just got to a fucking four-team playoff in 2014. I don't even know how long it took to broker the BCS championship game in 1998. A decade of progress would represent the NCAA sprinting at lightspeed.

It’s not. By any objective measure ND should not be in the playoff and are by far the most over rated team in the CFP.

The problem with the CFP isn’t with the CFP it’s the selection committee. When you look over the data you find an alarming level of confirmation bias for the SEC and the ACC. The SEC bias is somewhat understandable at the very top end of the conference. The bias for the ACC is inexplicable, unless there is an outside influencer, as it is the weakest of the big five conferences. The Big Ten is the obvious victim of this bias the last two years and Big 10 fans have justifiable reasons to be pissed. As the second strongest conference this year (they were the strongest conference last year) they have been locked out of the CFP two years in a row. The evidence of bias is obvious when you compare computer polling data (FPI and Sagarin). When you look at computer rankings and compare them to the CFP rankings it becomes clear that the four teams selected should have been Al, Clem, OSU and OK based on won loss record, conference championship and strength of schedule. If you want an example of confirmation bias UGA would be it. They had the weakest schedule of any top ten team, two loses, no conference championship and no wins against top ten teams. OSU had a better record, played a tougher schedule, won their conference championship and defeated two top ten teams. The CFP still ranked UGA ahead of OSU. This my friends is what confirmation bias looks like and it’s why the CFP committee has to go. This the third year in a row that confirmation bias has influenced the CFP. They need to get rid of the committee and change it to an earn it on the field format.

Joel Klat gives an excellent break down of bias in the CFP.

Notre Dame has certainly watered down its schedule by getting locked-into that ACC deal. That said, it basically treats half of those conference games as the lesser opponents, the same way that those opponents would schedule FCS opponents.

You are being a whiny child about the state of the playoff. College football began in 1869, and we just got to a fucking four-team playoff in 2014. I don't even know how long it took to broker the BCS championship game in 1998. A decade of progress would represent the NCAA sprinting at lightspeed.

College football was never dominated by so few in those hundred and fifty years. One of the only reasons they went to the BCS game was because they couldn't control the polls that determined the champion, didn't serve their interests to have a Boise State or BYU screwing things up.

Expanding the playoffs is doubtful, doing it like they do the other divisions ain't ever going happen, too much money and control involved, the last thing the Power Five players want is anything near what the Basketball presents and a Loyala of Chicago messing up the pie

It’s not. By any objective measure ND should not be in the playoff and are by far the most over rated team in the CFP.

Don't agree, Notre Dame's schedule isn't any less distinguishing than the other three nor the two on the brink.

When you see the same teams every year sail thru their conferences unblemished or with one loss kinda reflects the overall level of competition in those leagues

The problem with the CFP isn’t with the CFP it’s the selection committee. When you look over the data you find an alarming level of confirmation bias for the SEC and the ACC. The SEC bias is somewhat understandable at the very top end of the conference. The bias for the ACC is inexplicable, unless there is an outside influencer, as it is the weakest of the big five conferences. The Big Ten is the obvious victim of this bias the last two years and Big 10 fans have justifiable reasons to be pissed. As the second strongest conference this year (they were the strongest conference last year) they have been locked out of the CFP two years in a row. The evidence of bias is obvious when you compare computer polling data (FPI and Sagarin). When you look at computer rankings and compare them to the CFP rankings it becomes clear that the four teams selected should have been Al, Clem, OSU and OK based on won loss record, conference championship and strength of schedule. If you want an example of confirmation bias UGA would be it. They had the weakest schedule of any top ten team, two loses, no conference championship and no wins against top ten teams. OSU had a better record, played a tougher schedule, won their conference championship and defeated two top ten teams. The CFP still ranked UGA ahead of OSU. This my friends is what confirmation bias looks like and it’s why the CFP committee has to go. This the third year in a row that confirmation bias has influenced the CFP. They need to get rid of the committee and change it to an earn it on the field format.

Joel Klat gives an excellent break down of bias in the CFP.

OSU defeated 2 top 10 teams? Michigan is in the top 10. Who else? Penn State is ranked #12.

And, as Joe Klatt said, a really bad loss will do more harm than a really good win will help. Losing to Purdue did more harm than anything. Losing by 29 to an unranked team that is barely bowl eligible really hurt OSU.

College football was never dominated by so few in those hundred and fifty years. One of the only reasons they went to the BCS game was because they couldn't control the polls that determined the champion, didn't serve their interests to have a Boise State or BYU screwing things up.

Expanding the playoffs is doubtful, doing it like they do the other divisions ain't ever going happen, too much money and control involved, the last thing the Power Five players want is anything near what the Basketball presents and a Loyala of Chicago messing up the pie

You really think those smaller schools are as good as the Power 5 schools (consider that they merely get scheduled to play P5 teams to serve as filler). An expanded playoff would allow for the occasional non-P5 exception to participate, such as an unbeaten Boise St/SDSU/UCF/etc.

You really think those smaller schools are as good as the Power 5 schools (consider that they merely get scheduled to play P5 teams to serve as filler). An expanded playoff would allow for the occasional non-P5 exception to participate, such as an unbeaten Boise St/SDSU/UCF/etc.

They are as good as a lot of the teams in the Power 5 leagues, that's my point, a Clemson going undefeated in their league either says Clemson is really good, or, the league is overrated, the latter being my belief.

I'd even say the same for most of the other power five conferences, how many good defenses did Alabama face this year, two, which thier Heisman trophy candidate struggled in north. Most of them carry a reputation that forwardly places a lot of their teams regardless of how they preform

And as you say that occasional non-P5 participating is exactly why the P5 doesn't want to expand the playoffs, how do you think the SEC would feel if two years in a row an Alabama type team got beat in an early round game and they missed out on the big payday and fanfare?

They are as good as a lot of the teams in the Power 5 leagues, that's my point, a Clemson going undefeated in their league either says Clemson is really good, or, the league is overrated, the latter being my belief.

I'd even say the same for most of the other power five conferences, how many good defenses did Alabama face this year, two, which thier Heisman trophy candidate struggled in north. Most of them carry a reputation that forwardly places a lot of their teams regardless of how they preform

And as you say that occasional non-P5 participating is exactly why the P5 doesn't want to expand the playoffs, how do you think the SEC would feel if two years in a row an Alabama type team got beat in an early round game and they missed out on the big payday and fanfare?

That's a silly hypothetical, because it involves a P5 team actually losing to a non-P5 team. You must watch too much college basketball. Anyway, whenever the NCAA gets around to adding the requisite 4-6+ teams into the CFP, I'll be here to watch you spin new BS for why it's still not good enough for your delicate taste.

That's a silly hypothetical, because it involves a P5 team actually losing to a non-P5 team. You must watch too much college basketball. Anyway, whenever the NCAA gets around to adding the requisite 4-6+ teams into the CFP, I'll be here to watch you spin new BS for why it's still not good enough for your delicate taste.

How do you know it wouldn't happen, how many times have any of them ever been in that position? I contend that is not by accident, the P5 calls the shots to insure it won't occur, and for that reason the playoffs won't expand, and never to sixteen as the lower divisions do today

And yes, I do watch basketball, it is a model the football conferences don't want to occur. Years ago they didn't have the control because a good nmner of the top teams were outside of those conferences, ergo, the Tournament evolved without thier say. Today they are striving to take control, simple things as not scheduling mid majors is a good example

How do you know it wouldn't happen, how many times have any of them ever been in that position? I contend that is not by accident, the P5 calls the shots to insure it won't occur, and for that reason the playoffs won't expand, and never to sixteen as the lower divisions do today

And yes, I do watch basketball, it is a model the football conferences don't want to occur. Years ago they didn't have the control because a good nmner of the top teams were outside of those conferences, ergo, the Tournament evolved without thier say. Today they are striving to take control, simple things as not scheduling mid majors is a good example

I don't think 16 teams is necessary, but, you are going to be very disappointed when the CFP expands to eight teams.

Back