College Football 2018 - minus the troll

Oh, is UCF in a power 5 conference? ND and BYU are considered Power 5 equivalent teams because their schedules are built around playing Power 5 teams. I imagine BYU has a lesser schedule overall, but, rather than schedule FCS cupcakes, ND merely breaks-up its schedule by playing non-Power 5 opponents, like the Navy game. The agreement to play 5 ACC games makes the schedule look less impressive than the past, when it could simply play the ACC's best team, and then have more room to play the Big-12, and non-rivalry teams in the Midwest or on the West Coast.
After watching the LSU - UCF game I couldn't see UCF being competitive in the CFP either.

After watching the LSU - UCF game I couldn't see UCF being competitive in the CFP either.

I think there's a legitimate question about eligibility, since you don't know how a team will actually perform. Clemson plays like garbage every season, often losing to either Pittsburgh or Syracuse, and then steps-up in the playoff. But, since you have to earn your right to be in, all Clemson is doing is shooting itself in the foot with these lackluster seasons. ND has gotten proficient at dotting "I's" and crossing "T's" but Kelly needs to find a dominant QB and formulate a program (scheme, depth, conditioning, etc) that will win in the postseason.

I think there's a legitimate question about eligibility, since you don't know how a team will actually perform. Clemson plays like garbage every season, often losing to either Pittsburgh or Syracuse, and then steps-up in the playoff. But, since you have to earn your right to be in, all Clemson is doing is shooting itself in the foot with these lackluster seasons. ND has gotten proficient at dotting "I's" and crossing "T's" but Kelly needs to find a dominant QB and formulate a program (scheme, depth, conditioning, etc) that will win in the postseason.

ND makes their players have grades,big disadvantage

Clemson and Alabama are going to be in this playoff game for years to come, both programs have unrestricted and nearly unlimited funding. It is making college football semi pro, all about the money, the entire concept of "student athlete" is already antiquated

The NCAA is never going to change it, too much profit, the only thing that will rock the boat is when the playoff system becomes so predictable it makes itself boring and turns off fans. You'll know when this hits when they suddenly decide to go to an eight team playoff, but that only give it a few more years

The money has to removed from amateur athletics

Clemson and Alabama are going to be in this playoff game for years to come, both programs have unrestricted and nearly unlimited funding. It is making college football semi pro, all about the money, the entire concept of "student athlete" is already antiquated

The NCAA is never going to change it, too much profit, the only thing that will rock the boat is when the playoff system becomes so predictable it makes itself boring and turns off fans. You'll know when this hits when they suddenly decide to go to an eight team playoff, but that only give it a few more years

Bubba and Clemson aren't responsible for the running down of academic standards. They have merely taken advantage of it. Academia has chosen to dramatically water down educational standards independent of athletics as it is.

UCF woulda got creamed in the CFP semifinal by anyone but ND. Like I said, those two should play in a special edition of college football NIT Tournament.

#5 or 6? I have to think about this:confused:
Alabama, GA (got creamed by LSU), FL (barely) and ????

My mistake, I should have said #4 or #5.

Alabama, Florida and Texas A&M all beat LSU. Georgia is 7-1 in conference play, while LSU is 5-3.
Kentucky and LSU didn't play and both are 5-3 in conference play. KY beat Florida (one of LSU's defeats).

And yes, UCF would have been slaughtered in the playoffs.

As long as the athletes don't receive money, it is still amateur athletics.

My mistake, I should have said #4 or #5.

Alabama, Florida and Texas A&M all beat LSU. Georgia is 7-1 in conference play, while LSU is 5-3.
Kentucky and LSU didn't play and both are 5-3 in conference play. KY beat Florida (one of LSU's defeats).

And yes, UCF would have been slaughtered in the playoffs.
And Jeff Sagarin had Miss. State @ #7 in the country before the bowls.:rolleyes: Don't forget them.

And Jeff Sagarin had Miss. State @ #7 in the country before the bowls.:rolleyes: Don't forget them.

Jeff Sagarin may have ranked them that high, but no one else did. In the AP, CFP and Coaches polls MS State was ranked #18 before the bowls.

Before the bowls MS State was 8-4. Ranking them #7 would be insane.

Looks like Washington's Rose Bowl drought is extended by another year. Well, it was progress, because the Huskies hadn't even appeared in the greatest game since 2002.

My final college football ranking prediction.

1,2. Alabama, Clemson No prediction as to who will win that one, just that both will be either 1 or 2.
3. Ohio St. 13-1
4. Oklahoma 12-2
5. ND 12-1
6. Georgia 11-3
7. Florida 10-3
8. LSU 10-3
9. UCF 12-1
10. Texas 10-4
11. Kentucky 10-3
12. Washington St. 11-2
13. Michigan 10-3
14. Washington 10-4
15. Texas A&M 9-4
16.Syracuse 10-4
17. Fresno St. 12-2
18. Northwestern 9-5
19. Penn St. 9-4
20 Boise St. 10-3

Last edited:

1,2. Alabama, Clemson No prediction as to who will win that one, just that both will be either 1 or 2.
3. Ohio St. 13-1
4. Oklahoma 12-2
5. ND 12-1
6. Georgia 11-3
7. Florida 10-3
8. LSU 10-3
9. UCF 12-1
10. Texas 10-4
11. Kentucky 10-3
12. Washington St. 11-2
13. Michigan 10-3
14. Washington 10-4
15. Texas A&M 9-4
16.Syracuse 10-4
17. Fresno St. 12-2
18. Northwestern 9-5
19. Penn St. 9-4
20 Boise St. 10-3

I like that;)

3. Ohio St. 13-1
4. Oklahoma 12-2
5. ND 12-1
6. Georgia 11-3
7. Florida 10-3
8. LSU 10-3
9. UCF 12-1
10. Texas 10-4
11. Kentucky 10-3
12. Washington St. 11-2
13. Michigan 10-3
14. Washington 10-4
15. Texas A&M 9-4
16.Syracuse 10-4
17. Fresno St. 12-2
18. Northwestern 9-5
19. Penn St. 9-4
20 Boise St. 10-3

The only thing I would change is to put Georgia at #9 and shift Florida, LSU and UCF up one spot. The Dogs were terrible in the Sugar Bowl.

The only thing I would change is to put Georgia at #9 and shift Florida, LSU and UCF up one spot. The Dogs were terrible in the Sugar Bowl.

Ohio State, Texas surged. Kentucky beating Penn St. almost got them into top 10. Too bad, they deserve to be there, IMO but Texas winning the Sugar edged them out.
Georgia , Michigan deflated.

Back