College Football 2018 - minus the troll

Really, so are you going to make a point of watching the FCS Championship Game this Saturday? It is on all the ESPN channels, and given it is the end of a sixteen team nationwide playoff it is "excellent college football," will you be watching?

No, I won't. If I still had cable, I certainly would be watching.

I have watched the FCS Championship several years. It was good football. I also watched bowl games that had nothing in it for me or my team. I went to the bar early to watch other games.

Yup...proved for the second year in a row that OSU should have been in the playoff but the SEC wants a beauty contest instead of a true National Championship. OSU looked better than ND, OK and Clemson.

Huh? What's the SEC got to do with it? They had one team in and deservedly so. They weren't even contested in the regular season.

That's how it works in the NFL. You strive to get into the playoffs and once there you have an equal chance on the field to win it all. The advantage of having the best record is home field advantage. I see no problem with this. The playoffs are a different season which starts all over.
In college, the playoffs start with the first game.

The NFL model is not what Mott wants. For him, unless you win your conference, you should not be allowed in the playoff.

In the NFL there are 8 divisions. There are 12 teams in the playoffs. So 4 teams did not won their division and still got in.

Yup...proved for the second year in a row that OSU should have been in the playoff but the SEC wants a beauty contest instead of a true National Championship. OSU looked better than ND, OK and Clemson.

How can you say OSU looked better than ND, OU, and Clemson? ND & Clemson went undefeated. Clemson and OU won their conferences.

It seems that the beauty contest is ok when you use it for the Buckeyes?

The NFL model is not what Mott wants. For him, unless you win your conference, you should not be allowed in the playoff.

In the NFL there are 8 divisions. There are 12 teams in the playoffs. So 4 teams did not won their division and still got in.

I definitely believe in automatics and wild cards for CFP. But like in the NFL there should be a disadvantage for teams that didn't outright win their divisions.

8 conference champions in an 8 game playoff would not give you a champion that earned it on the field. The Washington Huskies were the PAC12 champs with a record of 10-3 before the bowl games. A 10-3 team getting in the playoffs and other teams with better records being left out?

It should be about the entire season of play. Not getting up for one game. A perfect example is the BIG10 championship game. If Northwestern had managed to beat Ohio State in that ONE game, they would be considered one of the best teams in the nation? With a record of 9-4?

What happens if you are in a really competitive conference and no one in the league goes undefeated or without a couple of losses? Couldn't that team still be considered a top team, especially if another conference was dominated by one good team over a field of weak teams.

And you are still avoiding the question of rosters, how many teams other than the dozen or so money teams actually has the depth and quality of rosters that can play up to as many as four competitive games without suffering from major injuries that effect the team's capabilities?

What happens if you are in a really competitive conference and no one in the league goes undefeated or without a couple of losses? Couldn't that team still be considered a top team, especially if another conference was dominated by one good team over a field of weak teams.

And you are still avoiding the question of rosters, how many teams other than the dozen or so money teams actually has the depth and quality of rosters that can play up to as many as four competitive games without suffering from major injuries that effect the team's capabilities?

I am not avoiding anything. The problem with injuries is part of college football. Yes, those who recruit better have an advantage. But then, those teams already have an advantage.

You looked better than ND. I can't say you looked better than OK (and I thought you should be in rather than the no-defense Sooners) or Clemson. I also thought Jake Browning had his best QB play of the season (he regressed badly since his sophomore year).

Really, so are you going to make a point of watching the FCS Championship Game this Saturday? It is on all the ESPN channels, and given it is the end of a sixteen team nationwide playoff it is "excellent college football," will you be watching?

You seem fixated on the number 16. Would you be mad if the FBS established a 20 team playoff?

True, and those two schools have taken full advantage, but it is more about the money than academics. If you have the bucks and allocate those bucks to pay million dollar coaching staffs, construct five star athlete dorms, plan extensive recruiting budgets, etc., you are going to be a top level program. I didn't think colleges nor universities existed to create semipro sports teams

But to get back to my point, it has gotten so out of control that as I said you are going to see the same two or three teams always playing in the playoffs. The beauty of any amateur sport is the potential of a "Hossiers" scenario occurring, a Loyola of Chicago, happens rarely, but there is always the excitement that it could, that is absent in college football today, and eventually it will minimalize interest

Actually, you're not going to do jack shit if half of those recruits are academically ineligible. You're starting to make me sad that I rooted for Loyola Chicago. Perhaps you should start a thread about College Basketball, since that is clearly the sport you most prefer.

Hindsight is 20/20. I couldn't see choosing OSU over OK with their one loss, OSU's being worse. Who could? All they had to do was beat a team they had no business losing to.
Don't forget, also in hindsight Michigan was a team in the process of folding. And dominating a 3 loss team for three quarters from the weakest power 5 conference was not that big of a deal. Texas woulda been a more challenging game for OSU IMO.
Be grateful for a great season and a probable #3 ranking.
And now we have two very good undefeated teams playing for the NC. If we were in the previous system that's who'd be playing.
It all seems to have worked out.
Just like last year.
And BTW, get over your SEC hate.

Last edited:
Hindsight is 20/20. I couldn't see choosing OSU over OK with their one loss, OSU's being worse. Who could? All they had to do was beat a team they had no business losing to.
Don't forget, also in hindsight Michigan was a team in the process of folding. And dominating a 3 loss team for three quarters from the weakest power 5 conference was not that big of a deal. Texas woulda been a more challenging game for OSU IMO.
Be grateful for a great season and a probable #3 ranking.
And now we have two very good undefeated teams playing for the NC. If we were in the previous system that's who'd be playing.
It all seems to have worked out.
Just like last year.
And BTW, get over your SEC hate.

What for? The Southeastern US is a shithole?

You looked better than ND. I can't say you looked better than OK (and I thought you should be in rather than the no-defense Sooners) or Clemson. I also thought Jake Browning had his best QB play of the season (he regressed badly since his sophomore year).

I'm not sure Alabama is better than Clemson.

* I'll be interested in seeing the numbers (viewers) for the NC game...tickets are super cheap if you need them....

* I'll be interested in seeing the numbers (viewers) for the NC game...tickets are super cheap if you need them....

I expect that most fans of the ACC and SEC will be watching. When OSU played Oregon, I went to a viewing party, because there are lots of fans of either team at my unit, plus Washington haters who just wanted to see Oregon lose.

Your leaning on the basketball model, which will not work with college football. To begin, for the eight teams, considering their conference championship game, you are asking them to play more games, the winner four more, against top level competition. Other than the big money schools none of the rest would have the rosters considering injuries to compete, their not the NFL

Currently, conferences is the only fan invested thing college football has to offer, as you noted above, current system which favors big money schools "isn't worth watching unless you're a personal stake holder in a team that's playing."
I've seen a half a dozen different ways to get it done that debunk that.

If all the other College sports and Divisions of College Football can do it so can Div I.

UCF didn't make it because their schedule strength was shit.

Mott, are you saying that Purdue is a better team than Ohio State? Because they won that one game. Just like Northwestern could have won that one game for the conference championship.
Yup and if they had they would have gained entry via objective standards. I'm OK with just about any method of formulating a playoff. What needs to be gotten rid of are the polls and selection committees and the politics and the kissing ass of Bowl Systems cronyism that benefits mostly millionaires and our student athletes somewhere towards the bottom.

Otherwise there will never really be a true College National Championship and College Football will be a regional sport without a true national following like the NFL.

Huh? What's the SEC got to do with it? They had one team in and deservedly so. They weren't even contested in the regular season.

The SEC are the conference that are the major opponents to using objective criteria for creating a playoff. Have been for a long time and were the last power 5 conference to sign on to the CFP when it appeared the other conferences decided they were going to do it with or without the SEC.

That's not true. I'm just using an 8 team model. Actually by using the conference method it's actually a 16 team playoff as the Conference Championship games are the first round.

I'm ok with just about any scenario for using common sense to create a playoff based on objective criteria that gets rid of the politicking and corruption behind polls and selection committees and the unfathomable use of subjective criteria that only Div 1 College football uses.

Back