College Football 2018 - minus the troll

I am not avoiding anything. The problem with injuries is part of college football. Yes, those who recruit better have an advantage. But then, those teams already have an advantage.

So, you are confirming ("those that recruit better have an advantage") my intial point several pages ago that it is all about the money. If you are allocating millions in coaching staffs and recruiting, as per say your beloved Alabama, you are going to have a better team, as say a Syracuse, and can survive a multi team playoff.

You seem fixated on the number 16. Would you be mad if the FBS established a 20 team playoff?

Neither of those numbers are realistic, nor is eight for that matter, keep in mind you are playing football, as you work thru a playoff you are playing better and better teams, meaning the chances of team effecting injuries increase, no league cream puff or week off to recuperate or adjust.

Ultimately, it won't come down to the best team but rather the team with the best backup players, schools allowed to spend millions on recruiting and enticing players will always dominate, the schools with the freedom to spend. This trend will only escalate, your NorthWestern, Syracuse, or Vanderbilt will never make it

National champion isn't an applicable concept, better off the way it existed before, frustrating for the fan, but better for the game

The SEC are the conference that are the major opponents to using objective criteria for creating a playoff. Have been for a long time and were the last power 5 conference to sign on to the CFP when it appeared the other conferences decided they were going to do it with or without the SEC.
Why do you think the SEC didn't care for a CFP? they've benefited the most from it.

Why do you think the SEC didn't care for a CFP? they've benefited the most from it.
Because they benefited even more from the BCS format.

For a National Championship to work, to create a truly national following, it has to be national in scope and not regional. That's the single biggest flaw of the current format. It allows this sort of human bias, corruption and politics into the decision making process. The end result is that it's not a true playoff but an invitational that has a built in regional bias that undermines it. The College Football National Championship isn't as bogus as the WWE Heavyweight Championship but it's not far off that model.

The College Football National Championship isn't as bogus as the WWE Heavyweight Championship but it's not far off that model.
Don't be ridiculous. Even the old BCS was better than the AP and coaches final poll and the current system is an improvement over the BCS. There's no question we're closer to a true nat'l champion than ever. But I agree with you, there should be more of a regional playoff.
The problem I see with these Div. 1 teams is so many of their star players skipping bowl games because they're going to the NFL. They're weaker teams than what they played with during the regular season.
But then again maybe that's not so bad. Gives a slight handicap to those teams that aren't basically farm teams for the NFL.

So, you are confirming ("those that recruit better have an advantage") my intial point several pages ago that it is all about the money. If you are allocating millions in coaching staffs and recruiting, as per say your beloved Alabama, you are going to have a better team, as say a Syracuse, and can survive a multi team playoff.

Name anything else that colleges and universities do that does not improve with more money? Any athletic program is likely (not guaranteed) to do better with more money spent on it. Research facilities are expensive. The places with the most money spent on research facilities have the best research programs. The universities with the biggest budgets for professor's salaries attract the best professors. The best professors translates to better programs.

And yes, the better coaches get paid better money. One of the most important jobs for college football coaches is recruiting. Being able to recruit the top athletes usually translates into better win records. That some people talk about a coach having such great athletes like it is a gift, do not understand college football.

Because they benefited even more from the BCS format.

For a National Championship to work, to create a truly national following, it has to be national in scope and not regional. That's the single biggest flaw of the current format. It allows this sort of human bias, corruption and politics into the decision making process. The end result is that it's not a true playoff but an invitational that has a built in regional bias that undermines it. The College Football National Championship isn't as bogus as the WWE Heavyweight Championship but it's not far off that model.

Regional bias? This year the four teams represented the northeast, the midwest, and the southeast. The fact that no team from the west or northwest was good enough is no fault of the CFP.

And if there had been an 8 team playoff, unless it was all conference champions, it would have added Ohio State, Georgia, Michigan, and UCF to the mix. Which of those teams would have improved the games we saw? Michigan got an epic beatdown from Florida. Georgia was humiliated by Texas. UCF lost to LSU and would have been destroyed by Alabama. Ohio State may have beaten ND, but who knows. OSU also lost to Purdue and need OT to beat Maryland. Georgia and Oklahoma might have been a decent game. But the second round would have been Alabama against OU or Georgia. With Tua healthy, neither OU or GA would have survived. Then Clemson and Ohio State might have been better than Clemson v. Notre Dame, but Clemson would have won. Which would leave Alabama and Clemson playing for the championship.

Name anything else that colleges and universities do that does not improve with more money? Any athletic program is likely (not guaranteed) to do better with more money spent on it. Research facilities are expensive. The places with the most money spent on research facilities have the best research programs. The universities with the biggest budgets for professor's salaries attract the best professors. The best professors translates to better programs.

And yes, the better coaches get paid better money. One of the most important jobs for college football coaches is recruiting. Being able to recruit the top athletes usually translates into better win records. That some people talk about a coach having such great athletes like it is a gift, do not understand college football.

Once again you are confirming my point, the big money schools. which are nearly all State schools, have decided to allocate their funding in football programs, in other words buy the best money can to insure a good football team, and I always thought the purpose of those institutions was to educate not put semi pro teams on a playing field

Don't be ridiculous. Even the old BCS was better than the AP and coaches final poll and the current system is an improvement over the BCS. There's no question we're closer to a true nat'l champion than ever. But I agree with you, there should be more of a regional playoff.
The problem I see with these Div. 1 teams is so many of their star players skipping bowl games because they're going to the NFL. They're weaker teams than what they played with during the regular season.
But then again maybe that's not so bad. Gives a slight handicap to those teams that aren't basically farm teams for the NFL.

I disagree, the polls at the end of the year created more interest, lot of arguments, everyone knows the final four in football is always going to come out of a field of the same eight or nine teams. Kinda like NASCAR, they might have forty cars on the track but the high probability is that most aren't capable of winning the race

It isn't like basketball where a Loyola of Chicago can surface, all it is is a national championship between eight or nine schools who have decided to put their money into building football programs

Regional bias? This year the four teams represented the northeast, the midwest, and the southeast. The fact that no team from the west or northwest was good enough is no fault of the CFP.

And if there had been an 8 team playoff, unless it was all conference champions, it would have added Ohio State, Georgia, Michigan, and UCF to the mix. Which of those teams would have improved the games we saw? Michigan got an epic beatdown from Florida. Georgia was humiliated by Texas. UCF lost to LSU and would have been destroyed by Alabama. Ohio State may have beaten ND, but who knows. OSU also lost to Purdue and need OT to beat Maryland. Georgia and Oklahoma might have been a decent game. But the second round would have been Alabama against OU or Georgia. With Tua healthy, neither OU or GA would have survived. Then Clemson and Ohio State might have been better than Clemson v. Notre Dame, but Clemson would have won. Which would leave Alabama and Clemson playing for the championship.

Schools in the NorthEast don't play money football, no school from that region will ever play in a playoff scenario, and I have no idea what school you think out of ND, Clemson, Alabama, and Oklahoma is in the NE

And to make you happy, the probability that Alabama and Clemson plus perhaps one other team will always be playing for a national title under the current state of college football

Once again you are confirming my point, the big money schools. which are nearly all State schools, have decided to allocate their funding in football programs, in other words buy the best money can to insure a good football team, and I always thought the purpose of those institutions was to educate not put semi pro teams on a playing field

The schools invested in their school, and many of them pay off big dividends. As you pointed out, those are the schools who win conferences, championships and go to bigger bowl games.

Schools in the NorthEast don't play money football, no school from that region will ever play in a playoff scenario, and I have no idea what school you think out of ND, Clemson, Alabama, and Oklahoma is in the NE

And to make you happy, the probability that Alabama and Clemson plus perhaps one other team will always be playing for a national title under the current state of college football

Notre Dame is in Indiana. If you divide the country into quadrants, it is in the northeast quadrant. The fact that it is not in New England does not change that.

Schools in the northeast don't play in bigger bowl games, with bigger payouts.

I disagree, the polls at the end of the year created more interest, lot of arguments, everyone knows the final four in football is always going to come out of a field of the same eight or nine teams. Kinda like NASCAR, they might have forty cars on the track but the high probability is that most aren't capable of winning the race

It isn't like basketball where a Loyola of Chicago can surface, all it is is a national championship between eight or nine schools who have decided to put their money into building football programs

If you look at the 10 ten schools as far as money spent on football, not all make the playoffs. In fact, some of them can suck some years.

But the profits are there if they win.

If you look at the 10 ten schools as far as money spent on football, not all make the playoffs. In fact, some of them can suck some years.

But the profits are there if they win.

I have to continually explain this to people. A program such as OU (of course include Alabama, Ohio State, etc.) is very self-sustaining.

I don't think people are skipping the real bowl games, though (Rose, Sun, Cotton, Sugar, Orange, and, maybe, Fiesta). No one should care if an NFL prospect skips the Cheez-It Bowl.

I have to continually explain this to people. A program such as OU (of course include Alabama, Ohio State, etc.) is very self-sustaining.

The mid-level teams are the expensive ones. The top level pays for itself or more. The lower level schools don't spend. The mid-level spends enough to get some decent coaches and facilities and yet doesn't win enough to pay for it.

Go hard or go home.

Another disadvantage to more playoff games.

Empty stadiums. Much of the season, teams play reasonably close to where the bulk of their fans live. If you want fans in their seats, adding another game that requires cross-country travel and time off from work, is not going to do it. I have a friend who lives in Nashville. He drove to the SEC Championship, but still had to spend on rooms (at inflated rates). He flew to Miami, and between airfare and hotel, dropped a little over $2k. The trip to CA for the championship will end up cost closer to $3k, and require another day off from work.

Another disadvantage to more playoff games.

Empty stadiums. Much of the season, teams play reasonably close to where the bulk of their fans live. If you want fans in their seats, adding another game that requires cross-country travel and time off from work, is not going to do it. I have a friend who lives in Nashville. He drove to the SEC Championship, but still had to spend on rooms (at inflated rates). He flew to Miami, and between airfare and hotel, dropped a little over $2k. The trip to CA for the championship will end up cost closer to $3k, and require another day off from work.

All of this is so true...normal folks would have a difficult time affording one such trip, much less multiple trips.

Back