College football starts in 7 weeks!!

Rutgers could be competitive. With their academic and social reputation, it’s huge endowment, extremely large and wealthy alumni and it’s proximity to the NYC megalopolis and its vast number of elite athletes and viewers, Rutgers could certainly hold its own if the invest in their football program to the same degree as the top tier Big 10 teams.

Yeah, I guess they could. But the tax payers here are up in arms on the issue. BIG TIME.

We'll see what happens.

I'm happy with the number of players Rutgers graduates each year...and with the number of players it puts into the NFL.

Yeah, I guess they could. But the tax payers here are up in arms on the issue. BIG TIME.

We'll see what happens.

I'm happy with the number of players Rutgers graduates each year...and with the number of players it puts into the NFL.
Good morning!
Are you a Rutgers alum? You guys have a stellar coach, btw;)

Last edited:
Good morning!
Are you a Rutgers alum? You guys have a stellar coach, btw;)

No...my undergrad work was at a small college, Upsala...and my grad work was a Fairleigh Dickinson University.

But I live close to the Rutgers campus...and have lots of friends who went there.

Chris Ash is major league...but he has a long road to travel with this team. It would be terrific to make a bowl game this year.

No...my undergrad work was at a small college, Upsala...and my grad work was a Fairleigh Dickinson University.

But I live close to the Rutgers campus...and have lots of friends who went there.

Chris Ash is major league...but he has a long road to travel with this team. It would be terrific to make a bowl game this year.
Interesting college background:)
("We" helped Coach Ash get prepared to help the Scarlet Knights get ready for the challenge:)They'll get there!)

I'm not sure Rutgers made a wise choice in joining the Big Ten.
Doesn't fit the mold of a traditional Big Ten team.

I'm not sure Rutgers made a wise choice in joining the Big Ten.
Doesn't fit the mold of a traditional Big Ten team.

Time for them to go big time...and no reason why they shouldn't.

New Jersey is not a small state...and it has lots of football talent that gets recruited by power teams.

I think Clemson will be tough to beat this year. Dabo has plenty of skill players, as always. But the D line is going to be a monster. The entire D line will be playing in the NFL next year. Most, if not all, will be drafted in the first round. As a huge fan of defensive football, a killer defensive line can ruin the best offense.

I don't watch pro football. Reason being is that it's purely an entertainment business. Players don't play for their cities or any local allegiance . They play for whoever pays them the most.
Div. 1 college football has become a farm league for pro teams with the best players not finishing 4 yrs of college and sitting out bowl games at the end of their 3 yrs. They don't really care about the team they're playing for, but I can't say I blame them.
So here's my solution: If a player makes the decision to accept a scholarship to play football at a Div. 1 college, they're not eligible for the big league until 4 yrs. later. If they want to quit early they can play for a farm team or play in the Canadian or European league until they become eligible.
If they believe they can play in the big league out of high school, go for it, let them be eligible from day one. Baseball drafts players out of high school.

But I'm getting less and less interested in college football. It's a farm league for the pros.

I don't watch pro football. Reason being is that it's purely an entertainment business. Players don't play for their cities or any local allegiance . They play for whoever pays them the most.
Div. 1 college football has become a farm league for pro teams with the best players not finishing 4 yrs of college and sitting out bowl games at the end of their 3 yrs. They don't really care about the team they're playing for, but I can't say I blame them.
So here's my solution: If a player makes the decision to accept a scholarship to play football at a Div. 1 college, they're not eligible for the big league until 4 yrs. later. If they want to quit early they can play for a farm team or play in the Canadian or European league until they become eligible.
If they believe they can play in the big league out of high school, go for it, let them be eligible from day one. Baseball drafts players out of high school.

But I'm getting less and less interested in college football. It's a farm league for the pros.

I don't have a problem with players leaving for the NFL after they play 3 years. Unlike many sports, football players have a very limited playing time. And the way the contracts work, the NFL teams can stop them from making serious money for a stretch of that. The typical 1st contract is 5 years. After that, the teams can put the franchise label on a player and keep them for another year. (if I am wrong about how this works, feel free to correct me)

So a player who stayed 4 years in college is around 28 before he is an unrestricted free agent, where the big money comes in. But for many positions, like RB or WR, 30 years old is getting old.

Also, nothing prevents a player who leaves after his junior year from finishing his degree. Alabama had several former players who are active players in the NFL come back for their graduation in May.

And given that any play can result in a career ending injury, adding another year of playing increases the odds greatly. There are an average of 72 plays in top tier college games (more for some). 12 to 14 games in a season (depending on bowls and/or making the CFP) That means that staying for your senior season adds between 864 and 1,008 more plays (and more chances of injury) for the player.

But the main thing that bothers me about your post is that you want to take away a players ability to choose what they do with their lives and their talent, just to appease your desire to see them play college ball longer.

The constant claim that the NCAA is only a farm league for the NFL is silly. The players get to decide where they play. And playing college ball well is how you impress the pros. Besides, most who play college ball never play a down in the NFL.

I personally think that any college athlete should be able to leave to go professional or transfer or quit at any time. It’s their athletic future and it’s their education.

3 game suspension.

He will not coach OSU against Oregon State, Rutgers and TCU.

The first two aren't much. But TCU is ranked #16 in the AP preseason poll.
I'm glad it's over...he may not be coaching on the field the first three games , but he'll be there in their hearts and souls (and practice for two games) ...It's the
Buckeyes, after all...

3 game suspension.

He will not coach OSU against Oregon State, Rutgers and TCU.

The first two aren't much. But TCU is ranked #16 in the AP preseason poll.
Meh it could have been worse. It appears the only thing Meyer did wrong was lie to the media. Given the nature of the media these days that’s hardly a firing offense. I think what scares me most is that Zack Smith has not been charged with domestic violence or convicted of domestic violence and there is counter allegations Smith’s ex wife is being vindictive.

What gets me is other than lying to the press Meyer did his job and reported the allegations to his boss Gene Smith who did not report it further. So it appears Meyer is being suspended for Smith not reporting it further and lying to the press. I say the punishment fits the crime. Meyer should not have lied. Smith was also suspended three games.

I'm glad it's over...he may not be coaching on the field the first three games , but he'll be there in their hearts and souls (and practice for two games) ...It's the
Buckeyes, after all...

Well Meyers publicly lying doesn’t sit well with me. I think the punishment fit the crime but if he does it again he should be fired.

Back