defining the atheist life....

Yes it does. Read the definition.

No it does not. Read the definition.

If I wasn't being clear, then I apologize. Clearly I didn't mean that it's impossible for people to believe in the likelihood of gods existing or not.

It looked like that was what you said. My apologies if I misinterpreted.

I'll bite. How exactly is it getting to me?

In lots of ways...both obvious and more subtle. I think an explanation on my part...rather than you just becoming aware on your own would be a futility.

In other words, "I cannot make my case properly so I'll tell him to take a break while I figure out how to make my case properly."

I can make my case...and, in fact, have.

You are losing your cool. A break for you would be a blessing.

No it does not. Read the definition.

It looked like that was what you said. My apologies if I misinterpreted.

In lots of ways...both obvious and more subtle. I think an explanation on my part...rather than you just becoming aware on your own would be a futility.

I can make my case...and, in fact, have.

You are losing your cool. A break for you would be a blessing.

Your squabble is with the definition (and etymology) of atheism, not mine.

Out of curiosity, what would you call yourself?

Your squabble is with the definition (and etymology) of atheism, not mine.

I am just using the etymology of learned etymologists given in etymological dictionaries...not making up my own etymology. You, and many of your fellow atheists, seem to be squabbling with them.

Out of curiosity, what would you call yourself?

Obviously my position is that of an Agnostic...and I used to use that descriptor. But the nature of the Internet causes so many discussions to get bogged down in definitions of what each descriptor means...so of late, I have merely given that description of my position.

I do not mind being called an agnostic.

I do not tolerate atheists insisting that "atheism" was derived from "theism" (which it wasn't) and insisting that atheist means "without a 'belief' in any gods"...therefore insisting that I am an atheist.

I am not...and I would no more be an atheist than I would be theist.

Hope that makes sense to you, Lefty.

since the board atheists felt the need to start a thread defining Christian life, I felt it only fair we have a thread to give balance.....

what do we know about atheists......
1) they are forced to struggle through life with no guidance other than their own feeble imaginations........
2) they feel compelled to criticize what everyone besides themselves believe.....

feel free to discuss.....

'Atheist' and 'Theist' are kind of the same in that it portrays*a 'Belief', that neither can prove or disprove.

'Agnostic', is probably a better descriptor of 'Non-Believers'.

"Agnosticism
Agnosticism is the view that the existence of God, of the divine or the supernatural is unknown or unknowable.Wikipedia"

Last edited:
I do not tolerate atheists insisting that "atheism" was derived from "theism" (which it wasn't) and insisting that atheist means "without a 'belief' in any gods"...therefore insisting that I am an atheist.

So now we got to the root of your problem. You have a problem with people calling you or suggesting that you are an atheist.

Gnosticism has to do with knowledge. Theism has to do with belief.

I am not...and I would no more be an atheist than I would be theist.

Hope that makes sense to you, Lefty.

Yes it makes sense. You are not an atheist because you think it means that you BELIEVE that there is no God.

'Atheist' and 'Theist' are kind of the same in that it portrays*a 'Belief', that neither can prove or disprove.

'Agnostic', is probably a better descriptor of 'Non-Believers'.

"Agnosticism
Agnosticism is the view that the existence of God, of the divine or the supernatural is unknown or unknowable.Wikipedia"

Actually it's "Non-Knowers".

Actually it's "Non-Knowers".

I've avoided this Thread since Jesus Freak Leader PMP started it, knowing it would be a worthless discussion.
You get three choices.
A. I KNOW there is a God!
B. 'God' is a fantasy, there IS NO GOD!
C. Ah, um, ... no proof either way. Maybe ... maybe not?

So now we got to the root of your problem. You have a problem with people calling you or suggesting that you are an atheist.

Now we are???

This is a topic I have discussed extensively on the Internet for over 20 years.

I am not an atheist...nor am I a theist.

Gnosticism has to do with knowledge. Theism has to do with belief.

Who cares. I am not defining myself as an AGNOSTIC. I have defined my position with words...not a descriptor. Here it is again:

I do not know if any gods exist or not;
I see no reason to suspect gods CANNOT EXIST...that the existence of gods is impossible;
I see no reason to suspect that gods MUST EXIST...that gods are needed to explain existence;
I do not see enough unambiguous evidence upon which to base a meaningful guess in either direction...

...so I don't.

If you take issue with anything there, tell me what it is and we can discuss it.

Yes it makes sense. You are not an atheist because you think it means that you BELIEVE that there is no God.

I am not an atheist because I am not an atheist.

I do not do "believing."

I've avoided this Thread since Jesus Freak Leader PMP started it, knowing it would be a worthless discussion.
You get three choices.
A. I KNOW there is a God!
B. 'God' is a fantasy, there IS NO GOD!
C. Ah, um, ... no proof either way. Maybe ... maybe not?

Agnosticism is like this:

"Does God exist?" "I don't know."
"Does God not exist?" "I don't know."

The strange thing is that we cannot know anything. As a famous philosopher once said, "the only true wisdom is in knowing that you know nothing."

Taste, Feel, Hear, See, Smell defines Reality for most of us.
I, personally, try to live in Reality here.
If there is a 'Level 2', I will attempt to live in THAT Reality when I get there.

Taste, Feel, Hear, See, Smell defines Reality for most of us.
I, personally, try to live in Reality here.
If there is a 'Level 2', I will attempt to live in THAT Reality when I get there.

My level 10 is being buried in the "bush".

Back