Definition of religion

Life is a journey. My trajectory is has been through different shades of atheism, Christianity, agnoticism, pantheism.

I definitely do not accept the hubris that human sensory perception, empiricism, and our souped up chimpanzee mental cognition necessarily gives us access to all of reality and higher truths

You can't find truth mentally, only Spiritually.
Finding the difference between mental and spiritual is not easy!

I don't know if humans as a species and as individuals are exceptionally smart and gifted, or whether it was an elite minority of exceptional humans who taught the rest of us concepts leading to civilization.

Probably less than one percent of humans can do calculus, build a bridge, design a cell phone from scratch, or have the metallurgy and engineering skills to build a rifle independently from scratch.

I have my doubts that if you dropped Trump or Biden into the Amazon forest with nothing but the clothes on their back, if they could even build a functioning bow and arrow.

Politicians are below used car salesman in the pecking order

You can't find truth mentally, only Spiritually.
Finding the difference between mental and spiritual is not easy!

Still those preying "serve the Pope or die" Christiananality pedophilia or SCOTUS Rehnquist Islamidiotocracy supreme swastika up Uranus Mohammed pedophilia won't pass over you as 9/11.....

^Reminds me of the story of Inky.

An enterprising octopus spotted his chance to escape from a New Zealand aquarium – and took it. Squeezing out from a gap at the top of his tank, the “inquisitive” octopus, Inky, slithered across the floor of the aquarium and down a seawater runoff pipe to Hawke’s Bay, and freedom.

“Octopus are very intelligent, very inquisitive and like to push the boundaries,” said Rob Yarrell, the manager of the National Aquarium of New Zealand.

“This particular one was very friendly and intelligent and obviously found a weak spot in the top of his tank.”

https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/escapologist-octopus-new-zealand-aquarium/index.html

I can't remember exactly, but it was either Australia or United Kingdom who recently added octopi and squid to their list of sentient animals protected under their nation's animal welfare laws.

I can't remember exactly, but it was either Australia or United Kingdom who recently added octopi and squid to their list of sentient animals protected under their nation's animal welfare laws.

It appears to be the UK, but no doubt Australia will follow suit. Not sure what it means as far as harvesting seafood but if it's to be more humane to harvesting animals, I support it.

Their definition seems to be any creature that can feel pain or joy. Pain is easy to test, but not sure about joy.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/lobsters-octopus-and-crabs-recognised-as-sentient-beings
Lobsters, octopus and crabs recognised as sentient beings
Amendment to Animal Welfare (Sentience) Bill following LSE report on decapod and cephalopod sentience

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/...recognised-as-sentient-beings-in-domestic-law
Animals to be formally recognised as sentient beings in domestic law
Introduction of the Animal Welfare (Sentience) Bill as part of the Government's Action Plan for Animal Welfare

Vertebrate animals will be recognised as sentient beings for the first time in UK law thanks to the introduction of the Animal Welfare (Sentience) Bill, introduced in Parliament today.

The legislation will also ensure that animal sentience is taken into account when developing policy across Government through the creation of a Animal Sentience Committee which will be made up of animal experts from within the field.

By enshrining sentience in domestic law in this way, any new legislation will have to take into account the fact that animals can experience feelings such as pain or joy. The Bill will underpin the Government’s Action Plan for Animal Welfare, which launched yesterday and sets out the government’s plans to improve standards and eradicate cruel practices for animals both domestically and internationally.

True Religion is unvarnished absolute truth.

That doesn't work because that definition also applies to philosophy. Socrates and Plato certainly thought they were seeking a pure, higher ideal truth.

One that seems pretty good to me is that religion is the feelings, experiences, and actions that result from a search or quest for the sacred.

It appears to be the UK, but no doubt Australia will follow suit. Not sure what it means as far as harvesting seafood but if it's to be more humane to harvesting animals, I support it.

Their definition seems to be any creature that can feel pain or joy. Pain is easy to test, but not sure about joy.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/lobsters-octopus-and-crabs-recognised-as-sentient-beings
Lobsters, octopus and crabs recognised as sentient beings
Amendment to Animal Welfare (Sentience) Bill following LSE report on decapod and cephalopod sentience

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/...recognised-as-sentient-beings-in-domestic-law
Animals to be formally recognised as sentient beings in domestic law
Introduction of the Animal Welfare (Sentience) Bill as part of the Government's Action Plan for Animal Welfare

I starting to feel bad about eating calamari!

The way lobsters are cooked always bothered me. Throwing them alive into boiling water seems inhumane.

I starting to feel bad about eating calamari!

The way lobsters are cooked always bothered me. Throwing them alive into boiling water seems inhumane.

I fully support humane ways of harvesting animals but draw the line at "Shut up and eat your tofu". :)

Most of the lobster I've had was frozen tails.

That doesn't work because that definition also applies to philosophy. Socrates and Plato certainly thought they were seeking a pure, higher ideal truth.

One that seems pretty good to me is that religion is the feelings, experiences, and actions that result from a search or quest for the sacred.

If Religion isn't the unvarnished truth,it's not religion,it's a social club called organized religion. Not to be confused with real religion ,which is unvarnished reality

Back