Does PTSD drive obsession with hoarding guns?

• Thread starter Thread starter Guns Guns Guns
  • Start date Start date
Kailey, I am licensed and found the experience enlightening to an elementary level. I own several, possibly many depending on your point of view, guns and I do NOT carry in peaceful and otherwise non-threatening environments. That is simply stupid and looking for trouble. I keep trying to tell some of these idiots that when they go out looking for trouble they just might find me. I AM trouble for them. Bank on it.

I agree about my course. The fact that the teacher let me pass is ridiculous.. I had only been to a firing range four times and was really nervous. The "classroom session" I guess you could call it didn't teach me much I didn't know. And I barely hit the target when we went to the range so he could watch us shoot. I went because my husband wanted me to get the certificate so once I'm more experienced if I wanted to I could carry, but I haven't gotten my license. My husband was going to weekly real life scenario training before he even had his first gun. I'm comfortable with my husband having a gun anywhere, but not comfortable knowing anyone with my skill level could have a gun next to me at the store. If they required more and even continual training I would feel much better.

I think 5 guns is a low number. But that is my opinion as a gun owner. I too would be interested to see any connection between owning more than 5 guns and violent acts.

My uncle was a gunsmith and a collector, he was a quiet, decent, husband and father. I never looked at his collections as hoarding, but he did not collect his guns with the intention of protecting his household with them. he knew the history of his weapons. He didn't spends more on his guns than the family could afford, in fact, he paid for them with his second occupation of gun smithing.

I think having lots of guns is only harmful when you do so with bad intentions, or you do o at the detriment of your life or your family's lives.

Last edited:
My uncle was a gunsmith and a collector, he was a quiet, decent, husband and father. I never looked at his collections as hoarding, but he did not collect his guns with the intention of protecting his household with them. he knew the history of his wweapons. He didn't spends more on his guns than the family could afford, in fact he paid for them with his second occupation of gun smithing.

I think having lots of guns is only harmful when you do so with bad intentions, or you do o at the detriment of your life or your family's lives.

Great story in your life, Rana. I find it much more honest and respectful of the genuine hobby than anyone else here has spoken about. Thank you.

Kailey, I am licensed and found the experience enlightening to an elementary level. I own several, possibly many depending on your point of view, guns and I do NOT carry in peaceful and otherwise non-threatening environments. That is simply stupid and looking for trouble. I keep trying to tell some of these idiots that when they go out looking for trouble they just might find me. I AM trouble for them. Bank on it.

Where are these "peaceful and otherwise non-threatening environments" that you keep talking about?

My uncle was a gunsmith and a collector, he was a quiet, decent, husband and father. I never looked at his collections as hoarding, but he did not collect his guns with the intention of protecting his household with them. he knew the history of his weapons. He didn't spends more on his guns than the family could afford, in fact, he paid for them with his second occupation of gun smithing.

I think the vast majority of so called "gun nuts" are much like your uncle. It is a hobby and a passion.

So, like all things, it is dependent on the individual. Very well said.

I'm teabagging a ball and having a lot of fun. My contributions to this topic have only included whining. I have no real escuse for my lack of common sense contribution and I don't call any of what I offered, as an intelligent discussion. Now I'm going to go and have a good cry.

Good for you, shorty.

You're a fucking coward and have a yellow streak up your back and down your leg. :D

Great story in your life, Rana. I find it much more honest and respectful of the genuine hobby than anyone else here has spoken about. Thank you.

I think there is a difference between a hoarder who is a 3% patriot or scared evangelical/Dominionist God's Army type and a sportsman. It's the ones that are constantly talking about how the government is going to come after them or how Satan is a liberal and college educated that I view with suspicion. Those that buy assault weapons and boxes of ammo in preparation for the coming 'end times'...they're not sane and shouldn't have arsenals. I'm not talking about real collectors who get off on the history or sportsmen (even though I don't like hunting)...there are way too many insane, armed to the teeth, wacked out people...PTSD or not!

Howard Barton Unruh (January 21, 1921 – October 19, 2009) was an American mass murderer[SUP] [/SUP][SUP]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Howard_Unruh#cite_note-3[/SUP](sometimes classified as a spree killer[SUP]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Howard_Unruh#cite_note-4[/SUP]) who killed 13 people (including three children) on September 6, 1949, in Camden, New Jersey, when he was 28 years old. Unruh is considered the first single-episode mass murderer in U.S. history.

The World War II veteran was unemployed and lived with his mother. During the war, he was reportedly a brave tank soldier who served in the Battle of the Bulge and kept meticulous notes of every German killed, down to details of the corpse. He was honorably discharged in 1945, and returned home with a collection of medals and firearms. He decorated his bedroom with military items, and set up a target range in his basement. His mother supported him by working at a factory while Howard hung around the house.

Eventually Unruh became paranoid about his neighbors and started to keep a diary detailing everything he thought was said about him. Next to some of the names was the word "retal.", short for "retaliate." He arrived home from a movie theater at 3 am on September 6 to discover that the gate he had just built in front of his house had been stolen. This appears to have been the trigger; Unruh told the police, "When I came home last night and found my gate had been stolen, I decided to kill them all."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Howard_Unruh

Back