Eastern philosophy says the self is an illusion

Attraction to homoerotica is probably just instinctual for some.

Tom of Finland is so obscure as a cartoonist, it almost seems like an act of free will to actively seek out his cartoons and familiarize oneself with his Village People cartoon-caricatures.

Obviously Perry has some interest in the area. That's his choice.

Agreed on instinctual where sex is concerned. It goes to the very core of animal reproduction and something that can't be controlled. Mode kept bringing up our unconscious thoughts. That's like a man lusting after the boss's wife or a very "mature-looking" 17 year old. What Mode refuses or can't comprehend is that acting on unconscious thoughts is a matter of conscious choice AKA Free Will.

Let's have some fun dissecting another nutjob position. The question to ponder is whether Terry secretly is, or wishes to be, an atheist. Let's just lay out the facts:

I disagree that having Free Will must be associated with the supernatural.

Let's see:
The atheist position: "I disagree that having Free Will must be associated with the supernatural. "
Terry's position: "I disagree that having Free Will must be associated with the supernatural. "
Hmmmmmmm.

The atheist position: "I have my own beliefs about there being more to existence than what's in front of one's nose"
Terry's position: "I have my own beliefs about there being more to existence than what's in front of one's nose"
Hmmmmmmm.

IMO, the atheists are stupid to not think this through.
Terry, you are stupid to not think this through.

What Mode refuses or can't comprehend is that acting on unconscious thoughts is a matter of conscious choice AKA Free Will.
Incorrect, Terry, but I don't think anyone expects you to know anything. Not acting on impulses is a matter of the prefrontal cortex.

Let's have some fun dissecting another nutjob position....

Thanks for insights into how you perceive reality, Sybil. It's truly interesting.

It's no secret that I think you are both intelligent and somewhat educated but also schizophrenic. While you aren't as smart or murderous as Ted Kaczynski or Ted Bundy, you most certainly have warped perceptions of reality like them.

Obviously Perry has some interest in the area. That's his choice.

Agreed on instinctual where sex is concerned. It goes to the very core of animal reproduction and something that can't be controlled. Mode kept bringing up our unconscious thoughts. That's like a man lusting after the boss's wife or a very "mature-looking" 17 year old. What Mode refuses or can't comprehend is that acting on unconscious thoughts is a matter of conscious choice AKA Free Will.

Yes, the claim that random thoughts pop into our consciousness is not proof that free will doesn't exist.

It's actually proof of nothing

Free will has to involve some conscious action taken by choice.

I was seriously thinking about three majors in college. It was the choice I made that was a manifestation of free will.

Yes, the claim that random thoughts pop into our consciousness is not proof that free will doesn't exist.

It's actually proof of nothing

Free will has to involve some conscious action taken by choice.

I was seriously thinking about three majors in college. It was the choice I made that was a manifestation of free will.
Agreed.

Agreed.

Agreed, which is why people have it and animals, as far as we know, do not. Any that did in the past were killed off long ago by Homo Sapiens Sapiens. LOL

Like deciding upon a college degree, normal people make conscious decisions daily. Abbie normals, not so much. :)

Agreed.

Agreed.

Agreed, which is why people have it and animals, as far as we know, do not. Any that did in the past were killed off long ago by Homo Sapiens Sapiens. LOL

Like deciding upon a college degree, normal people make conscious decisions daily. Abbie normals, not so much. :)

Define "Normal people"?

Define "Normal people"?

The people in the majority of the Bell Curve.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Normality_(behavior)
Normality is a behavior that can be normal for an individual (intrapersonal normality) when it is consistent with the most common behavior for that person. Normal is also used to describe individual behavior that conforms to the most common behavior in society (known as conformity). However, normal behavior is often only recognized in contrast to abnormality. In many cases normality is used to make moral judgements, such that normality is seen as good while abnormality is seen as bad,[1] or conversely normality can seen as boring and uninteresting. Someone being seen as normal or not normal can have social ramifications, such as being included, excluded or stigmatized by wider society.

The people in the majority of the Bell Curve.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Normality_(behavior)
Normality is a behavior that can be normal for an individual (intrapersonal normality) when it is consistent with the most common behavior for that person. Normal is also used to describe individual behavior that conforms to the most common behavior in society (known as conformity). However, normal behavior is often only recognized in contrast to abnormality. In many cases normality is used to make moral judgements, such that normality is seen as good while abnormality is seen as bad,[1] or conversely normality can seen as boring and uninteresting. Someone being seen as normal or not normal can have social ramifications, such as being included, excluded or stigmatized by wider society.

Tyranny of the majority! At one time the majority thought the world was flat!
At on time the majority thought marriage between races was a crime.
At one time the majority thought homosexuality between consenting adults was a crime!
Count me with the minority!

Agreed.

Agreed.

It must suck not being able to choose where one lives. Which is how it is according to strict Newtonian determinists.

I made a very specific and concious choice to live on the Pacific Ocean, carefully weighing the pro and cons.

Tyranny of the majority! At one time the majority thought the world was flat!
At on time the majority thought marriage between races was a crime.
At one time the majority thought homosexuality between consenting adults was a crime!
Count me with the minority!
Nice overreaction, Mason. :thup:

Is name dropper a career?

For centuries, being knowledgeable about the great scientists, philosophers, and writers and being able to digest and discuss their ideas was considered the hallmark of a classical education.

You obviously are not aware of this because of your mental illness and lack of education.

It must suck not being able to choose where one lives. Which is how it is according to strict Newtonian determinists.

I made a very specific and concious choice to live on the Pacific Ocean, carefully weighing the pro and cons.

They are meat robots; defective human beings. Agreed it must suck being them. Sad.

I did the same for Texas. I had a choice of New York, or within a two hour drive, and Texas. I weighed the pros and cons then made my decision.

College degrees require a lot of writing. Masters require even more and Doctorates even more than that.

Something about which you've only "heard" and have no direct experience.

Such people have excellent reading and writing skills. We all make typos and mistakes, but over time all poster's levels of writing skills are revealed.

So much talk for someone who never had to write a thesis or a dissertation.

Your writing skills coupled with your angry, juvenile posts are evidence you are not who you claim to be, Perry. :)

More insults I see. That's all you ever have.

Why do you insist on talking about grad school experience you've never had?

Then you are really stupid because that wasn't my argument.

1) I argued that, based on the NOVA program it appears "intention" may in many cases be post hoc modeling of why we took an action AFTER the fact.
2) I argued a DIFFERENT POINT that you cannot control your thoughts because 99% of them happen subconsciously.

You really don't read for detail, do you?

Doubtful. Likely you utilized a suite of stimuli based on what you found you were capable of (in your case I'm sure the list was short) or which you enjoyed (brought you pleasure). Which largely dictated what wound up doing.

I'm sure even THEN you were a middling to poor student...given you clear inability to read for context.

Back