Eastern philosophy says the self is an illusion

Because I know more psychology than you do. ...

See Perry? This is why I like you so much! You're an expert on everything!!! :)

7tr0t5.gif

See Perry? This is why I like you so much! You're an expert on everything!!! :)

Funny thing is: you don't have to know much psychology to know more than YOU DO.

And you presumably wasted mommy and daddy's money on tuition studying the stuff. LOL.

I've DEMONSTRABLY proven I know more in this field than you do.

Funny thing is: you don't have to know much psychology to know more than YOU DO.

And you presumably wasted mommy and daddy's money on tuition studying the stuff. LOL.

I've DEMONSTRABLY proven I know more in this field than you do.

Awesome, Perry! Another area where you can claim to be smarter and better educated than me. Congrats!!!

7tr0t5.gif

What/where is the "you" making decisions?

That is irrelevant to the question of free will and choice.

The mind/body problem is a separate debate in western philosophy.

Conciousness and self awareness exist, whether you take the Eastern or Western approach to the concept of self.

The question is whether or not human psychology and conciousness has the ability to freely choose and direct action.

I have a quick question: since you seem to be a professional bully....do you get off bullying people? Or do you need to see them really feel pain before you cum?
More proof you are not a college graduate, Perry. Otherwise you'd know what "professional" means. LOL

No, Perry, I don't "get off" on bullying people, but I am interested in liars, sock puppets and mentally ill people. This is why I'm interested in you regardless if your name is Perry, Steven or anything else.

That is irrelevant to the question of free will and choice.

The mind/body problem is a separate debate in western philosophy.

Conciousness and self awareness exist, whether you take the Eastern or Western approach to the concept of self.

The question is whether or not human psychology and conciousness has the ability to freely choose and direct action.

It's absolutely relevant. If there isn't a "you" then what is creating/ filtering thoughts that is the basis of free will? What is it that is able to stand outside your stream of thought and make decisions?

Last edited:
It's absolutely relevant. If there isn't a "you" then what is creating/ filtering thoughts that is the basis of free will? What is it that is able to stand outside your stream of thought and make decisions?
Exactly what you've been declaring for the past two weeks; that there is no "you". That people are just meat robots responding to genetics and experience.

People who accept that human beings have Free Will also understand the concept that we are each "you", individuals with unique perspectives and abilities to make choices. Eastern philosophy is simply pointing out that we are each part of a greater whole.

Exactly what you've been declaring for the past two weeks; that there is no "you". That people are just meat robots responding to genetics and experience.

People who accept that human beings have Free Will also understand the concept that we are each "you", individuals with unique perspectives and abilities to make choices. Eastern philosophy is simply pointing out that we are each part of a greater whole.

There two options here. One, there is a self/you that is creating, filtering and moderating thoughts and making choices based on the result of that process. Two, there is no self and our choices are determined by a stream of conscious thought that we have no control over.

Without a self there is no free will because there is no separate entity , standing separate from the stream of consciousness, making decisions.

Last edited:

Cypress just needed to let everyone know that he's heard of the Mind/Body problem. His post didn't have any actual meaning beyond that. Cypress needs everyone to think he's the smartest, most well-read person on the board.

Cypress just needed to let everyone know that he's heard of the Mind/Body problem. His post didn't have any actual meaning beyond that. Cypress needs everyone to think he's the smartest, most well-read person on the board.

Well, he is who he is and can't be anything different, so I'm not going to worry about that, even if it's true:)

Perry wins again!!!!

Need to move onto a different meme generator. This one is getting boring.

I'm kind of curious how a 68 year old loser with decaying mental faculties is able to find meme and graphics generators like this. Usually senior citizens like yourself aren't that savvy.

Well, he is who he is and can't be anything different, so I'm not going to worry about that, even if it's true:)

I find it interesting that both of you disappear for a few days then simultaneously return together.

Exactly right.

We are a projection of Brahman or the universal Tao.

I don't think Sidartha Gautama or Confucious were ever saying that we were not self aware beings, or that we were not capable of freely making moral choices

Back