Eastern philosophy says the self is an illusion

And I have used the word "synthesize" since about 1982. I don't care what you think anymore. I just learned that your best friend on this forum has some rather unappealing rules violations that cause me to vastly reconsider how much I want to associated with you if that is something you are OK with.

Cypress is like Top will befriend anyone who will pretend to be their friend! Cypress crosses Dutch even once,Dutch will turn on him in a NY second!

Not in the specific context and syntax that you read in my posts about my philosophy of learning.
You are a plagiarizer.

:magagrin:

I didn't take you for a MAGAT. Interesting.

No, I'm not a plagiarizer but thanks for yet another unfounded accusation from the board's intellectual poseur.

Cypress is like Top will befriend anyone who will pretend to be their friend! Cypress crosses Dutch even once,Dutch will turn on him in a NY second!

You know it! LOL.

I'm curious, though, why Cypress is OK with someone with a that kind of violation as his friend.

Last edited:
That's not what he nor I have been saying for the past month. The fact you appear to be unable to comprehend the difference after 3+ weeks, is the most interesting part about you, Mode. :)

To be clear, The "Plato, Augustine, or Descartes" self is the soul. While I like to believe that there is existence beyond our mortal one, there are no facts supporting such a conclusion. The religious side of "Free Will" is the soul. From a behaviorist side, the ability to have Free Will, even in a limited capacity, is completely within the realm of the Natural Universe without the need for a supernatural component.

The facts indicate that most people recognize their choices and the consequences of each choice...or think they do. LOL

Even flawed perceptions of those consequences, such as among racist or violent groups, still proves the ability to choose. They think they understand the consequences and act accordingly. Animals simply react. They don't plot the future in their actions. They are pure Zen; "when hungry, eat. when tired, sleep."

Choosing based upon consequences is a behavioral example only Homo Sapiens are known to exhibit. The humans on the backside of the Normalcy are often closer to our animal cousins in terms of not thinking forward.

Regardless, it still boils down to accepting that people can chose and, therefore, become responsible for themselves. A person who has no sense of "self" is not on the normal curve. It's easy to see none of them are on the Einstein side of the curve. LOL

http://philonotes.com/2022/05/platos-concept-of-the-self
“for Plato, the human person is composed of body and soul. In other words, the human person is a dichotomy of body and soul. The body is the material and destructible part of the human person, while the soul is the immaterial and indestructible part. “

I think it's possible some of the higher sentient animals have the mental sophistication to think beyond mere instinct and make choices.

I don't see any evolutionary benefit to dolphins protecting humans from shark attacks. Maybe that is a choice.

I think it's possible some of the higher sentient animals have the mental sophistication to think beyond mere instinct and make choices.

I don't see any evolutionary benefit to dolphins protecting humans from shark attacks. Maybe that is a choice.
Depending upon the intelligence of the animal, sure they can work to solve a problem. The difference being they don't consider the consequences of each choice. They simply act to satisfy the present.

Consider hogs. They are very intelligent but most of that intelligence is used to gather and consume food. They'll root up fields, work latches, knock down barbed wire fences and so forth, but their goal is simply to eat. They don't think past their next meal. Humans can consider the consequences of starvation versus particular acts like murder, hoarding or starving themselves for the benefit of others then choose to act upon their decision.

Dolphins hate sharks. Saving a human is often coincidence. The dolphins would do the same if it was a seal, a whale calf or a beach ball.

https://wildanimalscentral.com/are-sharks-afraid-of-dolphins/
Dolphins are not afraid of sharks, but they have a healthy respect.

Dolphins are also known to behave aggressively towards sharks, so if a shark gets too close, the dolphin may ram it with its snout or slam into its side to try and ward off the shark.

https://seaworld.com/orlando/blog/10-reasons-sharks-have-dolphin-phobia/
10 Reasons Sharks Have Dolphin-Phobia
When You Mess with the Dolphin, You Get the Snout. Made of very strong and thick bone, dolphin snouts are biological battering rams. Dolphins will position themselves several yards under a shark and burst upwards jabbing their snout into the soft underbelly of the shark causing serious internal injuries.

More than Peas in a Pod. Sharks are solitary predators, whereas dolphins travel in groups called pods. Whenever a member of the group is in danger from a shark, the rest of the pod rushes in to defend their buddy. Dolphins have even been known to protect humans in danger of sharks.

Apex Prey. Orcas are the largest member of the dolphin family and have been known to hunt great white sharks when food is scarce.

Last edited:
Interesting that the most hated person on the forum, Doc Dutch, is the only person Cypress talks to.

I had productive discussions with Zenmode and Niftyniblick on this thread.

DU is one of the minority of people with wide ranging interests in science, religion, philosophy, history, and politics and is willing to discuss them. You generally make a decent attempt at it too.

Most posters here are interested only in political propaganda, gossip, or indulging their pretty grievances.

DU is one of the minority of people with wide ranging interest in science, religion, philosophy, history, and politics and is willing to discuss them. You generally make a decent attempt at it too.

Most posters here are interested only in political propaganda, gossip, or indulging their pretty grievances.

Doc Dutch is a stalker.

DU is one of the minority of people with wide ranging interest in science, religion, philosophy, history, and politics and is willing to discuss them. You generally make I decent attempt at it too.

Dutch Uncle AKA Doc Dutch is DEFINITELY interested in petty grievances. Is that why you have common cause with him on so many things?

Or is it a mutual hatred of the mentally ill (whom your bullying would indicate a desire to physically harm them) and the gay and trans community (your Hitler-esque decrees of degenerate art for gay artists is telling).

You know it! LOL.

I'm curious, though, why Cypress is OK with someone with a that kind of violation as his friend.

IDK! I think Cypress is probably a descent guy.His mistake is thinking name dropping will impress us! It doesn't!
Atleast not till he starts name dropping Mason!

IDK! I think Cypress is probably a descent guy.

You know, I was thinking that at times. Cypress actually raises interesting threads even if it is clear he doesn't really know anything in technical detail and he can't handle anyone disagreeing with him.

It's the sign of someone who lacks actual education. He can't handle disagreement, which is a sign of simple understanding of a topic. But he does seem broadly read if not particularly gifted at understanding what he's read.

I've actually tried a NUMBER of times to engage him on a point, but the MINUTE I disagree with him he digs in and figures out I changed my handle on here and makes it all about attacking me personally. He usually ignores the citations I provide and won't engage in a point.

I wish he didn't feel the need to constantly attack me which causes me to hit back. I should maybe try to be a better person but it's hard when faced with vile hate-filled pricks like Cypress.

Cypress might be a good person but clearly Doc Dutch AKA Dutch Uncle seems to bring out the worst in him. They must have a common interest that draws them together. We can only guess what that vile item may be.

Why did you make the font so large after you mocked people who do that?

You are a massive hypocrite. You seem to HATE the mentally ill and the gay people on here. Why is that? What did they do to you that makes you HATE them so?

Cypress seems unaware of all true Christians have The Holy Spirit! It's certainly not unique to Mason!
What sets Mason apart from other Holy Spirit filled Christians is "Many are called few are Chosen"!
Mason is probably the very last person anyone would think would be " Chosen"!!! Which is exactly why Mason Is Chosen!

You know, I was thinking that at times. Cypress actually raises interesting threads even if it is clear he doesn't really know anything in technical detail and he can't handle anyone disagreeing with him.

It's the sign of someone who lacks actual education. He can't handle disagreement, which is a sign of simple understanding of a topic. But he does seem broadly read if not particularly gifted at understanding what he's read.

I've actually tried a NUMBER of times to engage him on a point, but the MINUTE I disagree with him he digs in and figures out I changed my handle on here and makes it all about attacking me personally. He usually ignores the citations I provide and won't engage in a point.

I wish he didn't feel the need to constantly attack me which causes me to hit back. I should maybe try to be a better person but it's hard when faced with vile hate-filled pricks like Cypress.

Cypress might be a good person but clearly Doc Dutch AKA Dutch Uncle seems to bring out the worst in him. They must have a common interest that draws them together. We can only guess what that vile item may be.

Cypress is a single step away from an amazing Epiphany ,but somethings scares him shitless from taking that step!
He's only comfortable on the outside looking in!

Dutch brings out the worst in anyone! It's what baiters do,fuck with you till they get a reaction!

Dutch Uncle AKA Doc Dutch is DEFINITELY interested in petty grievances. Is that why you have common cause with him on so many things?

Or is it a mutual hatred of the mentally ill (whom your bullying would indicate a desire to physically harm them) and the gay and trans community (your Hitler-esque decrees of degenerate art for gay artists is telling).
^^^
Attacks others for not staying on topic then attacks them with off-topic posts. Sad.

68i43l.jpg

...clearly Doc Dutch AKA Dutch Uncle seems to bring out the worst in him. They must have a common interest that draws them together. We can only guess what that vile item may be.
Dutch brings out the worst in anyone! It's what baiters do,fuck with you till they get a reaction!
1) Proof I live rent free in Mason's and Perry's gummied brains.

2) Proves my point on how some people always blame others for their problems.

Back