Eastern philosophy says the self is an illusion

I am of the firm opinion that anyone who tells you they have "mastered" their "desires" or other thoughts is probably lying to themselves and you
I am of the firm opinion anyone who blatantly lies about what you have written is a poster who can't be trusted and is acting in bad faith.

I haven't mastered anything, and I went out of my way explicitly to say I am trying to cultivate this knowledge -- trying, as in attempting, endeavoring, and striving.

I am of the firm opinion anyone who blatantly lies about what you have written is a poster who can't be trusted and is acting in bad faith.

I haven't mastered anything, and I went out of my way explicitly to say I am trying to cultivate this knowledge -- trying, as in attempting, endeavoring, and striving.

What have you mastered?

Even Confucious and Aristotle said that self knowledge and discipline were life long projects that would never attain a final state of perfection.

Here's the explanation:

1. I am not a fan of many of the Impressionists.
2. I dislike Gaugin's most famous set of paintings from his years in Tahiti (they are bland and uninteresting)
3. Doc said he had "talents" so I just made a joke that he was like Gaugin's worst era if Gaugin hung out outside a pot shop painting the people he saw coming out.

I honestly had no idea about Gaugin's disgusting behavior but now I do. I will make sure to never reference Gaugin. But that's not a problem since I'm not much of a fan of the iimpressionists.

It's pretty innocent overall.

Watching you furiously backpedal is more fun that watching chimps ride unicycles at the circus. :thup:

Watching you furiously backpedal is more fun that watching chimps ride unicycles at the circus. :thup:

It isn't backpedaling if it's what I've always said.

I don't know why you are so upset, you knew more about art than I did. I thought that would please you to know you have superior art knowledge.

All mankind is immoral! Especially self righteous snobs like Cypress!
Bullshit. Morality is relative. In our case, morality is relative to human beings. Our morals do not necessarily apply to the Vogons or Tralfamadorians or any other extraterrestrial species.

Add to this, the morals of the Japanese in WWII were normal for them but abhorrent to the West.

R.05f5b771ce66a088a6777048b47ae510

Here's the explanation:

1. I am not a fan of many of the Impressionists.
2. I dislike Gaugin's most famous set of paintings from his years in Tahiti (they are bland and uninteresting)
3. Doc said he had "talents" so I just made a joke that he was like Gaugin's worst era if Gaugin hung out outside a pot shop painting the people he saw coming out.

I honestly had no idea about Gaugin's disgusting behavior but now I do. I will make sure to never reference Gaugin. But that's not a problem since I'm not much of a fan of the iimpressionists.

It's pretty innocent overall.

Not a plausible explanation.

You picked out a second tier impressionist artist and specifically zeroed in on his time in Tahiti, for reasons you are unwilling to confess.

You picked out a second tier impressionist artist and specifically zeroed in on his time in Tahiti, for reasons you are unwilling to confess.

I am fascinated at your classification of artists. You seem to have a spreadsheet of where all artists rank. Gaugin is quite famous. He was a close associate of Van Gogh and arguably their time together was a critical part of Van Gogh's career.

I zeroed in on Tahiti because that is some of Gaugin's most famous work.

You didn't know about Gaugin's issues, and neither did I. Why am I not allowed to be as ignorant of a topic as you are? You were surprised as I was.

Agreed.

As always, I forgive Perry because I know his suitcase isn't packed very tight.

Back