Electricity storage impossible with current rtechnologies

Poor Tom.

Posting "on topic" for Tom;
your article is complete and total hogwash.

Lithion ion battery production will increase tenfold by 2020 alone.

That's 3 years from now.
So Tom, do a quick estimate of the geometrical projection of growth at that rate (and clearly there is adequate demand to fuel such growth)
and you will quickly see that your premise is complete assfuckery cut from whole cloth(entirely fabricated for the prosaic amongst us).

Futhetmore, and even more importantly,
the advent of Lithium Metal batteries with four times the storage than lithium ion

and Lithium Air batteries with 10 times the storage will make this subject moot long before 2040
as well as enable electric cars as well as trucks to travel great distances on a single charge.

Tom thread fail rating: utter failure.
You have a very tenuous grip on the science behind batteries, so maybe instead of trying to bullshit your way through, you should read this fascinating Nature Journal article instead?

http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v526/n7575_supp/full/526S93a.html?foxtrotcallback=true

You do make me laugh, you consider posting on topic to be doing me a huge favour.

This paper is from the Journal of Chemical Thermodynamics and clearly points out the downsides to larger lithium ion battery production and is not something pulled out of your arse when you are away with the fairies.

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0021961411003090?via=ihub

What does this proove?
Ah, nothing.

We couldn't possibly use all th
the lithium in the ocean.

By the time that we even reach a tipping point there will be vast reserves in the recycling stream.

Nice try though. LOL

You have a very tenuous grip on the science behind batteries, so maybe instead of trying to bullshit your way through, you should read this fascinating Nature Journal article instead?

http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v526/n7575_supp/full/526S93a.html?foxtrotcallback=true

Yes, it covers Lithium Metal batteries which I already mentioned, but stops short of Lithium Air batteries, the next quantum leap.

Sorry but you have a bit more research to do to catch up to my knowledge level of batteries.

Carry on and good luck.

What does this proove?
Ah, nothing.

We couldn't possibly use all th
the lithium in the ocean.

By the time that we even reach a tipping point there will be vast reserves in the recycling stream.

Nice try though. LOL
That paper isn't talking about the availability, or otherwise of lithium, which you would have seen if you'd read it!

That paper isn't talking about the availability, or otherwise of lithium, which you would have seen if you'd read it!

I read it.
The factories are under construction now.
There probably isn't bigger growth in any othet field.

Your article os fucked and so are you for defending it instead of being sceptical as a scientist is supposed to be.

If you knew anything like as much as you like to pretend then you'd know that lithium-air technology has hardly advanced beyond the vapourware stage. They can only be recharged a few times at most, after a few recharge cycles, the carbon positive electrode becomes electrically passivated!!

I read it.
The factories are under construction now.
There probably isn't bigger growth in any othet field.

Your article os fucked and so are you for defending it instead of being sceptical as a scientist is supposed to be.
You are the one that ought to be sceptical instead of buying into every Greenwash claim.

you can't be this stupid.
the article is about the battery needs for the entire earth, not just the UK.

Electricity isn't shipped world-wide. It's generated and used regionally. And in this case an entire region (the UK) is declaring all gas and diesel illegal in cars. Yet you said that "#1 No one says all cars will be electric." What will they power cars in the UK when those laws comes into effect then?

Electricity isn't shipped world-wide. It's generated and used regionally. And in this case an entire region (the UK) is declaring all gas and diesel illegal in cars. Yet you said that "#1 No one says all cars will be electric." What will they power cars in the UK when those laws comes into effect then?

soft as a grape

I don't think it is in the least bit doable without another five or six nuclear and/or CCGT power stations at least. Hopefully we will be awash with cheap fracked gas in the next decade. Maybe hydrogen powered cars with the gas extracted from methane, biomass and electrolysis of water will finally be the dominant technology?

Last edited:
I don't think it is in the least bit doable without another five or six nuclear and/or CCGT power stations at least. Hopefully we will be awash with cheap fracked gas in the next decade. Maybe hydrogen powered cars with the gas extracted from methane, biomass and electrolysis of water will finally be the dominant technology?

Sure, if they devise a way to store high pressure gaseous hydrogen by then.

Sure, if they devise a way to store high pressure gaseous hydrogen by then.
They already have and I've told you that before. One method of storage and transportation is hydrogenation of toluene to methyl cyclohexane which is liquid at ambient temperature and pressure. Dehydrogenation is simply performed using specially developed catalysts.

Kawasaki have also developed storage and transportation for hydrogen, so please no more bullshit about permeation.

http://global.kawasaki.com/en/stories/hydrogen/

I've long been an advocate for using natural gas as a transport fuel. Rune, of course, missed that soft ball completely.

Why would you need to convert natural gas to hydrogen? Isn't CNG or conversion to propane more economical?

Back