"God is dead"

Scholarly takes on philosophy have too much influence on me, so I try my best to understand the philosopher myself. The problem is the old traditional German science style of writing makes it a difficult read.
My interests are so widely ranging, I have to strategically choose which topics I am actually going to invest time reading a book about.

I got a lot more from reading the Republic, after I read and listened to some Plato scholars disuss the Republic.

To this day, I have never read a single original scientific paper Einstein or Bohr published on general relativity and quantum mechanics, but I have a basic working knowlege of them from textbooks, lectures, periodicals.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thus_Spoke_Zarathustra

Oh damn

This was the Nietzsche I read as a teen

Zarathustra declares:

I teach you the overman. Man is something that shall be overcome. What have you done to overcome him?…

All beings so far have created something beyond themselves; and do you want to be the ebb of this great flood and even go back to the beasts rather than overcome man? What is the ape to man? A laughingstock or a painful embarrassment. And man shall be just that for the overman: a laughingstock or a painful embarrassment. You have made your way from worm to man, and much in you is still worm. Once you were apes, and even now, too, man is more ape than any ape.…

Whoever is the wisest among you is also a mere conflict and cross between plant and ghost. But do I bid you become ghosts or plants?…

Behold, I teach you the overman! The overman is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the overman shall be the meaning of the earth! I beseech you, my brothers, remain faithful to the earth, and do not believe those who speak to you of otherworldly hopes! Poison-mixers are they, whether they know it or not. Despisers of life are they, decaying and poisoned themselves, of whom the earth is weary: so let them go!…

— Prologue § 3, translated by W. Kaufmann

I haven’t thought about in decades

But I remember feeling such a kinship with the ideas in that novel at 16 or so

Agreed. I was referencing "goat" specifically. Not sure if the name is due to his religion or his sexual preference. Hmmm.....

His 20something mind is wrong to attack you, but he has a point about the purpose of philosophy. The same can be said with religion.

Of course facts work great too. :)

If he’s merely 20 something he’s at least searching for that overman from what I’ve seen of his posts

BP seems far more intent on proving he is the top scholar among us all

In so missing the point

Zarathustra declares:

I teach you the overman. Man is something that shall be overcome. What have you done to overcome him?…

All beings so far have created something beyond themselves; and do you want to be the ebb of this great flood and even go back to the beasts rather than overcome man? What is the ape to man? A laughingstock or a painful embarrassment. And man shall be just that for the overman: a laughingstock or a painful embarrassment. You have made your way from worm to man, and much in you is still worm. Once you were apes, and even now, too, man is more ape than any ape.…

Whoever is the wisest among you is also a mere conflict and cross between plant and ghost. But do I bid you become ghosts or plants?…

Behold, I teach you the overman! The overman is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the overman shall be the meaning of the earth! I beseech you, my brothers, remain faithful to the earth, and do not believe those who speak to you of otherworldly hopes! Poison-mixers are they, whether they know it or not. Despisers of life are they, decaying and poisoned themselves, of whom the earth is weary: so let them go!…

— Prologue § 3, translated by W. Kaufmann

Thanks for the quote. He's writing through a fictional character so the prologue allows him to design his character. Therefore I'm not sure if Nietzsche is totally serious.

What does it say to you?

Mmmkay then

Nietzsche went nuts too

Stay away from German prostitutes and don’t go being a medic during war

You may catch things

4/20/21

Oh that reminds me to go do something

Catch you on the over side guys

It’s been fun

Let’s keep this vein of threads agoin

Tootles

Back