"God is dead"

Like Tachyons and quantum particles? Do you agree that it's possible for the spiritual and the physical to meet on the quantum level? Some other level?

Which psychologists are into metaphysics? I can see a mixing in people like Kant and Nietzsche, but psychology and philosophy are separate fields.
I want to believe that we have a connection to the multiverse but my brain won't allow it. I read psychology and philosophy to work on my psyche/soul to see the world how it really is instead of how power want's us to believe it is.

I want to believe that we have a connection to the multiverse but my brain won't allow it. I read psychology and philosophy to work on my psyche/soul to see the world how it really is instead of how power want's us to believe it is.

Out of nowhere, the mind comes forth. — The Diamond Sutra

Fire-Poker Zen
Hakuin would tell his pupils about an old woman who had a tea shop and praise her understanding of Zen. The pupils often refused to believe what he told them and would go to the teashop to find out for themselves.

Whenever the woman saw them coming she could tell at once whether they had come for tea or to look into her grasp of Zen. In the former case, she would serve them graciously. In the latter, she would beckon to the pupils to come behind her screen. The instant they obeyed, she would strike them with a fire-poker.

Nine out of ten of them could not escape her beating.

Out of nowhere, the mind comes forth. — The Diamond Sutra

Fire-Poker Zen
Hakuin would tell his pupils about an old woman who had a tea shop and praise her understanding of Zen. The pupils often refused to believe what he told them and would go to the teashop to find out for themselves.

Whenever the woman saw them coming she could tell at once whether they had come for tea or to look into her grasp of Zen. In the former case, she would serve them graciously. In the latter, she would beckon to the pupils to come behind her screen. The instant they obeyed, she would strike them with a fire-poker.

Nine out of ten of them could not escape her beating.
You're OK, Dutch.

4/20/21

Oh that reminds me to go do something

Catch you on the over side guys

It’s been fun

Let’s keep this vein of threads agoin

Tootles

Good this schmucks 4 inch asshole sig goes away. Fag was so far up his ass he links to his own posts in his sig...

Why he called Christianity Platonism for the masses.

Yes, that figures. Plato was Saint Augustine's favorite pagan philosopher The close link between Platonism and Christianity and their mutual focus on the transcendent would have been antithetical to Nietzsche's philosophy.

Idealism. That there are ideal forms which our concepts are derived from.

Isn't that human? We formulate an ideal and then work toward it? A bigger cave for the family, more security from sabertooth tigers? Irrigating crops?

Idealism is two parts: Ingenuity and practical application.

A person sees that plants grow best next to a stream and then wonders how he move the stream to his crops, perhaps with a door/shutoff to the water. That's ingenuity.

Digging the ditch and building the water shutoff are practical application. Results count and results depend upon both ingenuity and application.

Yes, that figures. Plato was Saint Augustine's favorite pagan philosopher The close link between Platonism and Christianity and their mutual focus on the transcendent would have been antithetical to Nietzsche's philosophy.

How so? Not a philosopher like y'all, and not a reader of Nietzsche, but from what I've read, he wanted mankind to see the bigger picture beyond worshiping idols and wearing funny hats.

He seemed to want mankind to transcend to the Übermensch in the physical universe rather than focus on what we'd become in an afterlife.

This is similar to Buddhism in that Buddha recognized that there's no way to prove the afterlife, but that we should live the most "right", just lives possible to maximize our mortal potential and prepare ourselves for what may come; the Eightfold Path.

PopeEpiphany2.jpg

https://www.pbs.org/edens/thailand/buddhism.htm
The steps of the Noble Eightfold Path are Right Understanding, Right Thought, Right Speech, Right Action, Right Livelihood, Right Effort, Right Mindfulness and Right Concentration. Moreover, there are three themes into which the Path is divided: good moral conduct (Understanding, Thought, Speech); meditation and mental development (Action, Livelihood, Effort), and wisdom or insight (Mindfulness and Concentration).

How so? Not a philosopher like y'all, and not a reader of Nietzsche, but from what I've read, he wanted mankind to see the bigger picture beyond worshiping idols and wearing funny hats.

He seemed to want mankind to transcend to the Übermensch in the physical universe rather than focus on what we'd become in an afterlife.

This is similar to Buddhism in that Buddha recognized that there's no way to prove the afterlife, but that we should live the most "right", just lives possible to maximize our mortal potential and prepare ourselves for what may come; the Eightfold Path.

PopeEpiphany2.jpg

https://www.pbs.org/edens/thailand/buddhism.htm
The steps of the Noble Eightfold Path are Right Understanding, Right Thought, Right Speech, Right Action, Right Livelihood, Right Effort, Right Mindfulness and Right Concentration. Moreover, there are three themes into which the Path is divided: good moral conduct (Understanding, Thought, Speech); meditation and mental development (Action, Livelihood, Effort), and wisdom or insight (Mindfulness and Concentration).

My understanding of Nietzsche is that not only did he not believe in a higher reality, a transcendent spiritual truth (aka, the Christian-Platonist view) but he actively thought such a view was harmful to us. A focus on the afterlife, the spritual, the divine caused us to become slaves to an obsession with guilt, sin, and salvation.

Neitchze was focused on reality in this world. I suppose you could say he was advocating a type of spirituality in this world. He thought we should break the chains of the past and cultivate imagination, creativity, and endeavor to make our lives a work of art..

My understanding of Nietzsche is that not only did he not believe in a higher reality, a transcendent spiritual truth (aka, the Christian-Platonist view) but he actively thought such a view was harmful to us. A focus on the afterlife, the spritual, the divine caused us to become slaves to an obsession with guilt, sin, and salvation.

Neitchze was focused on reality in this world. I suppose you could say he was advocating a type of spirituality in this world. He thought we should break the chains of the past and cultivate imagination, creativity, and endeavor to make our lives a work of art..

I don't know why people keep referring to Nietzsche as spiritual.

I don't know why people keep referring to Nietzsche as spiritual.

Dogma, even religious dogma, tends to be mortal views. Who here really believes Heaven is all of us, except for a few, sitting around a golden thrown at the feet of an old God singing Hosannas? Those that do are applying a mortal view on the eternal. Same for Hell.

I think Nietzsche is "spiritual" because he's looking at maximizing mankind's potential within the limitation of their mortality. This is why I drew a line between him and Siddhartha Gautama.

5581b66e33c304d251c5427201c01bb5.jpg

Back