have democrats or liberals ever reduced taxes for everyone?

actually, Gingrich is the only one who ever has in recent times.....

Gingrich, thank God, has never been President. However, didn't he lead the way, fear mongering which he does so well, in opposition to the Clinton budget that began a reversal of the trend under Reagan and bush? What budget did Gingrich ever submit?

all at once....not this smoke and mirrors of reducing taxes for those under 250K.....but for everyone....

and once a tax has been implemented, has a democrat ever repealed it, let it expire?

Yeah...JFK did, back when even I was a proud Democrat....
If they weren't taken over by the fuckin' far left wing, Liberal radicals I might even be one today....
JFK would be ashamed to have a freekin nut like Teddy buried next to him, brother or no brother....

Taxes will not go up for anyone under $250K, either actively or passively (by cuts lapsing).

If they do, Obama has broken a promise, and will rightfully be criticized for it.

Actually, I think most libs are still arguing that letting the cuts expire doesn't count as a tax increase. Since I think Obama buys this line of argument, he could very well let them expire, and not, in his mind, have broken the promise.

However, didn't he lead the way, fear mongering which he does so well, in opposition to the Clinton budget that began a reversal of the trend under Reagan and bush? What budget did Gingrich ever submit?
the one you just gave Clinton credit for.....don't you recall Clinton claiming it was going to bankrupt the country to balance the budget, then signing it when enough Dems got on board that he couldn't sustain a veto?......

going back to the previous budget (96) Gingrich was pushing for balancing the budget already then, but Clinton wanted to wait 7 years (balance by 2002)...we even got to the point that the federal government shut down a couple of times due to the fight over it...Gingrich didn't have enough votes to force it in 96, but he did the next time around.....

Last edited:
Actually, I think most libs are still arguing that letting the cuts expire doesn't count as a tax increase. Since I think Obama buys this line of argument, he could very well let them expire, and not, in his mind, have broken the promise.

Well, he acknowledged that, but was very clear that he didn't accept that premise. He has said - repeatedly - that those under $250K will NOT see a raise in their taxes, either passively or proactively.

Well, he acknowledged that, but was very clear that he didn't accept that premise. He has said - repeatedly - that those under $250K will NOT see a raise in their taxes, either passively or proactively.

o rly.....what about cigarette taxes? you're one of the few dems i've seen admit that his promise must include both passive and proactive taxes....

o rly.....what about cigarette taxes? you're one of the few dems i've seen admit that his promise must include both passive and proactive taxes....

all anyone has to do to avoid cigarette taxes - be they minimum wage earners, or billionaires - is to stop smoking. Is that really such a bad thing?

to continue to smoke, in the face of a marginal increase in taxes is, really irrelevant when compared with continuing to smoke in the face of certain irrefutable and grave health risks.

Last edited:

The cig tax is BS. The context of Obama's remarks was always in regard to income tax.

You can make hay about it, and many connie's are, but it won't fly w/ the electorate. If he actually raises income taxes, or let's the Bush cuts lapse for those under $250K, he breaks the promise, and will get very negative consequences.

all anyone has to do to avoid cigarette taxes - be they minimum wage earners, or billionaires - is to stop smoking. Is that really such a bad thing?

to continue to smoke, in the face of a marginal increase in taxes is, really irrelevant when compared with continuing to smoke in the face of certain irrefutable and grave health risks.

And you can avoid the gasoline tax, by not driving - the property tax, by not owning property - the sales tax, by not buying anything - the income tax, by not working - etc.

And you can avoid the gasoline tax, by not driving - the property tax, by not owning property - the sales tax, by not buying anything - the income tax, by not working - etc.

your point?

are you suggesting that taking steps to discourage cigarette smoking is NOT in the public interest?

your point?

are you suggesting that taking steps to discourage cigarette smoking is NOT in the public interest?

And by avoidikng all the other things, just think about how that will reduce an individuals debt.
Don't you think reducing a personal debt is a good thing.

And by avoidikng all the other things, just think about how that will reduce an individuals debt.
Don't you think reducing a personal debt is a good thing.
I think, at $5/pack, quiting smoking can go a long ways toward helping someone reduce their debt. wouldn't you agree?

I think, at $5/pack, quiting smoking can go a long ways toward helping someone reduce their debt. wouldn't you agree?

That would depend on how many packs they were smoking.
Wouldn't not paying $2.50 @ gallon, go even farther to reducing that debt??

"The average American uses 500 gallons of gasoline every year."

I'd say that could be a pretty substantial savings....

That would depend on how many packs they were smoking.
Wouldn't not paying $2.50 @ gallon, go even farther to reducing that debt??

the use of gasoline has not been directly tied to heart disease, lung cancer and emphysema. cigarette smoking has.

gasoline positively fuels out economy in countless ways... cigarette smoking has no positive outcomes

the use of gasoline has not been directly tied to heart disease, lung cancer and emphysema. cigarette smoking has.

gasoline positively fuels out economy in countless ways... cigarette smoking has no positive outcomes

So gasoline fumes are harmless!!
That must be why there are no safeguards to prevent them getting into the atmosphere.

your point?

I'm not sure what public interest is served by someone not smoking. I think its a foolish and dirty vice, which thankfully I have never taken up (I make up for it by trashing my liver with alcohol).

That said, it is pretty well understood that cigarette taxes are inherently regressive, because smoking them is largely a poor man's luxury. Its not about rehabilitation through sin taxes, because its unlikely that most smokers will quit. Many that I know simply don't give a shit, and will get defensive by pointing out that I drink beer and have a very unhealthy diet.

the one you just gave Clinton credit for.....don't you recall Clinton claiming it was going to bankrupt the country to balance the budget, then signing it when enough Dems got on board that he couldn't sustain a veto?......

going back to the previous budget (96) Gingrich was pushing for balancing the budget already then, but Clinton wanted to wait 7 years (balance by 2002)...we even got to the point that the federal government shut down a couple of times due to the fight over it...Gingrich didn't have enough votes to force it in 96, but he did the next time around.....

The budget was submitted by Clinton, changes negotiated in Congress with Speaker Gingrich, but that said, I don'r recall Clinton saying balancing the budget would result in economic collapse.
Re: Gingrich. The government did not just itself shut down, Gingrich threatened to do it and got his way, a few howls from the Public and he changed his mind quite quickly.
Again, I'll repeat, from Eisenhower until 1/20/09, not only did a GOP President never achieve budget balance, much less surplus, but in that period, not a single Republican President ever presented a balanced budget to Congress. Those are the facts, why then do the Republicans hold Obama to a higher standard than their own standard bearers?

Back