Heaven & Hell (Open to Everyone)

-sigh-

So uneducated.

Not at all. I'll help you. Every object in the natural world is subject to the forces of gravity. But wait!!!!! I let this object go, and it FLOATS INTO THE HEAVENS!!!!!!!!!!! It's a miracle!!!!! Let's use science to see if God did it!!!

You are a clown, dude.

Because of the overwhelming faith required to follow atheism.
Atheism has no faith. It is not a religion. It makes no circular argument (or argument of faith).
That is agnosticism.
No, it isn't. Agnosticism is a belief in a god or gods but does not specify any character of such god or gods. It is a belief in a nameless, formless, and uncharacteristic god or gods. The word 'agnostic' itself means to 'not know'.
Atheism is the absolute faith that there is nothing other than the natural universe and cannot be anything beyond it.
Atheism is not a faith. It literally means 'no theism'. Not the word 'theism' and the A- prefix, denotine 'not'. Atheism is not a religion, doesn't care whether there is a god or gods or not. Science, for example, is atheistic by nature. It doesn't try to prove or disprove any god or gods. It simply doesn't go there.
Agnosticism is reasonable - based on reason.
Religions are based on faith, including agnosticism.
Atheism is dogmatic, the mirror image of theism.
Atheism is not 'dogmatic' because it simply makes no religious statement at all.
Of course it is. One of the most dogmatic of all religions and intolerant of competing faiths.
No. Atheism is not a religion. It does not 'compete' with any faith. It simply doesn't care.
As is atheism.
Atheism is not a religion.

You seem to be confusing the Church of No God (a fundamentalist style religion) with 'atheism'. They are NOT the same thing.

I've know several people who graduated from Devry, all of them well educated.

For IT people, it was one of the better educational programs I've seen. My undergrad is Computer Information Systems from Cal Poly Pomona. DeVry probably spent more hours on absolute technology than we did. I mean, i guess it's not an BA in English .. I recall you look down your nose at any degree that has a practical application.

He looks down his nose at any blue collar worker. He considers them somehow 'uneducated' and worth less than he is. He's an ingrate.

Not at all. I'll help you. Every object in the natural world is subject to the forces of gravity. But wait!!!!! I let this object go, and it FLOATS INTO THE HEAVENS!!!!!!!!!!! It's a miracle!!!!! Let's use science to see if God did it!!!

It won't. Sorry. But made up hypotheticals don't count.

You are a clown, dude.

At least I'm a clown who actually understands what he's talking about.

Atheism has no faith. It is not a religion. It makes no circular argument (or argument of faith).

No, it isn't. Agnosticism is a belief in a god or gods but does not specify any character of such god or gods. It is a belief in a nameless, formless, and uncharacteristic god or gods. The word 'agnostic' itself means to 'not know'.

Atheism is not a faith. It literally means 'no theism'. Not the word 'theism' and the A- prefix, denotine 'not'. Atheism is not a religion, doesn't care whether there is a god or gods or not. Science, for example, is atheistic by nature. It doesn't try to prove or disprove any god or gods. It simply doesn't go there.

Religions are based on faith, including agnosticism.

Atheism is not 'dogmatic' because it simply makes no religious statement at all.

No. Atheism is not a religion. It does not 'compete' with any faith. It simply doesn't care.

Atheism is not a religion.

You seem to be confusing the Church of No God (a fundamentalist style religion) with 'atheism'. They are NOT the same thing.

I had to laugh out loud when you posted " Agnosticism is a belief in a god or gods but does not specify any character of such god or gods."

I HOPE that was meant as a joke.

He looks down his nose at any blue collar worker. He considers them somehow 'uneducated' and worth less than he is. He's an ingrate.

Nah, you just don't like it when people can identify what your skillset is.

Literally the ONLY THING I"VE SEEN YOU POST that looks like it is technically correct is electricity-related stuff. Literally every other thing you talk about you clearly don't have a clue. But electricity you do. OBVIOUSLY I'm going to infer that you are an electrician.

Why you think that is an insult is beyond me. Maybe YOU are the one who hates electricians.

It appears he wants to apply to be your stalker. He should have been banned after his first post.

More than half the time he and his sock puppets spend on this board are on threads I author.

I shudder to think about how much of his life is spent reading my posts and frantically googling for tidbits of information related to My posts

Pick one. Pick any science theory and let's see how speculation of an expanding universe that began from a singularity is somehow inconsistent with that theory.
Attempted force of negative proof fallacy. I never said any theory was inconsistent with the Theory of the Big Bang.
Correct. It doesn't need to be science to be consistent with science.
Here you have it right. The Theory of the Big Bang can be consistent with theories of science, but no theory of science depends on it.
Example. I tell you that I arrived at the park by driving my combustion engine vehicle along a particular route that took a certain amount of time. You agree that this is consistent with science. The next day I tell you that I arrived at the park by instantly teleporting half way to my magic carpet, which I piloted the rest of the rest of the way to the park. You begin to have doubts about today's account being consistent with physics.

Once upon a time, there were actual problems with the Big Bang being consistent with physics. Then Stephen Hawking fundamentally altered physics to account for the expanding universe we observe. If you haven't read his thesis, I recommend it. The "Big Bang" as a name/label, kind of fell out of use in deference to Hawking's "singularity." The model came about by the observation that the (observable) universe is expanding. If you go backward in time, the universe is contracting. The singularity is simply the theoretical limit. If you don't have a problem with the concept of absolute zero, or a perfect black body, even though you know they don't exist in nature, then you shouldn't have a problem with the theoretical point/limit whereby the universe began its expansion by simply tracing the expansion backwards. It's just a model. Many people have argued their own personal speculations about what happened at the "singularity" or thereabouts, and it's all irrelevant because nothing changes the model itself.
It doesn't matter how you define the 'singularity'. Irrelevant.
Correct. Hawking's singularity is not infinite energy. If you don't like the idea of it being a dimensionless point, make the singularity whatever you want it to be. It's irrelevant. The only question that matters is "do you agree that the observable universe is expanding?" ... without making any claims as to the nature of any unobservable universe. If so, if you were to go back in time far enough, what is the logical conclusion?
You JUST SAID that we cannot see much of the Universe at all. Sure, our little corner appears to have objects moving away from each other, but that means NOTHING for the remaining Universe.
Correct, but we have to address your personal semantics of the word "universe". Maybe there are many of these expanding universes. You want to say "if there are many, they aren't uni-verses" ... leaving me to respond "So that's why there is only one uniform, because if there were many uniforms, they wouldn't be uni-forms" ... or "Now I see why there is only one unit of measure. If there were many, they wouldn't be units of measure."
The Universe is just that...universal. It is everything and everywhere. It has no known boundaries. There is no unit of measure for the Universe. To have more than one 'universe' means the Universe is not universal. It is not everything and everywhere.
So let's create a term for the moment and refer to the "expandiverse". There is no limit of only one expandiverse.
How do you 'expand' something that has no boundaries???
Agreed. Hawking created a model for an expanding universe, which I am calling an expandiverse to eliminate confusion over the semantics of prefixes.

The Big Bang no longer means what it meant. Hawking changed that. The term is now "singularity" and merely represents the theoretical limit of the point of origin of the expansion of the expandiverse.
Everything you are discussing here by Hawking is not science. It is religion.

That's not a miracle, you dimwit. That's bouyancy.

Ohhhhhh, I see. But what if we had not yet DISCOVERED that principle?

It's a miracle? Are we investigating the existence of God? That's what YOU think. Not what I think. Miracles are just things not yet explained by science. Science has never, ever, investigated the existence of God. It is, by definition, an impossibility. It's sublime that you don't get that.

Ohhhhhh, I see. But what if we had not yet DISCOVERED that principle?

It's a miracle? Are we investigating the existence of God? That's what YOU think. Not what I think. Miracles are just things not yet explained by science. Science has never, ever, investigated the existence of God. It is, by definition, an impossibility. It's sublime that you don't get that.

Look, I'm OK with dispensing with miracles. Let's move onto something that matters: people claim to have a direct personal experience of God. How is that possible if God is not interacting with physical reality?

And, of course, the Bible as well as the entirety of Church history has many examples of people having contact directly with God or his Angels or his Mom.

What's the difference between that and hallucination?

The Big Bang left evidence in the form of the cosmic microwave background.

There is no "meaning" to creation. It just is.

Just because someone can't explain something DOES NOT MEAN GOD IS REAL. That's bad logic. And even worse theology.

Not that you would know what bad logic looks like.

"It just is "

Now that's some magical thinking.

Even cosmologists wonder what caused the Big Bang, and they acknowledge it's a metaphysical question outside the ability of science to answer.

Militant atheists always want a higher transcendent power to be reduced to the preposterous caricature of an old bearded guy in a white robe. That's not how most religious people in the world concieve of a higher transcendent power.

Being agnostic means being willing to say you don't know.

Science knows a lot less than laypersons like you think. Ordinary matter and energy only make up five percent of what we can detect in the universe.

Leaping out of your chair and hollering that the universe "just is", and there is zero possibility of any higher transcendant reality human brains cannot perceive, is jumping the gun and getting way ahead of ourselves. We are only souped up chimpanzees, with limited brains, and omniscience is beyond our capabilities.

Were my statements inaccurate, or just not preferentially characterized? I will correct any errors that I made.

I have already answered part of this question. The remaining part I won't answer at this time. Let's just say you have a lot to learn about what goes on inside a temple and why, and the difference between what one member says vs church teachings.

Look, I'm OK with dispensing with miracles. Let's move onto something that matters: people claim to have a direct personal experience of God. How is that possible if God is not interacting with physical reality?

And, of course, the Bible as well as the entirety of Church history has many examples of people having contact directly with God or his Angels or his Mom.

What's the difference between that and hallucination?

When you tell me how to measure those peoples experiences in a way that checks for the existence of 'God' we'll have gotten somewhere. It is most probably some bad shrimp.

Hint: You can't.

The Bible is fiction. Maybe you want science to start investigating Harry Potter and Lord Voldermort too. That'll be fun!!!

Not interested in a 'philosophical' discussion with a known liar and sock puppet
You obviously are, Sock.
You can keep hollering ad nauseam about how the Hebrew prophet Samuel makes Christianity look like a terrible and barbaric religion. You obviously have an agenda.
He didn't.
Einstein said militant atheists, were usually people who had a bad experience with their church, became alienated ànd are looking to press their lingering grievances
Einstein never said any such thing.

Back