It Begins: Journalists start admitting Trump-Russia conspiracy was a fabricated lie

There is a world of difference as an atty is a civilian employee of the government-but liable to get the info from anywhere nt directed by the Russian governemnt.
It's an important distinction,especially when speaking of any collusions

There is a significant difference, to be sure, and so if someone says "Russian intelligence agent," or something of that sort, I'll point out that we can't be sure any of them actually worked for those organizations. But that's not what I said. I simply pointed out they were working as agents for the Russian government.

DoJ would lose

Conceivably. The Republicans have packed the courts with right-wingers, so even if the DoJ got a conviction in a lower court, there's a pretty good chance that eventually the arch-conservative majority on the Supreme Court would pull a brand-spanking-new legal rule out of its collective ass to overturn that. But, I hope the DoJ has the balls to bring it, anyway. The worst case scenario is if this unwritten "Trump Exception" to campaign finance law remained unwritten, by the DoJ effectively just assuming its existence, rather than the courts actually having their hand forced to write it down. At least if they did, it would be an "Information Exception" that would exist for everyone, not just Trump. Then lawmakers could decide whether to rewrite the law to do more to cut foreigners out of our elections.

because "contributions are monetary or in kind like services -not just opposition,and it wasn't paid for

I see quotation marks. What, exactly, are you quoting? The law says "thing of value." It does not restrict that to monetary or in-kind like services. Where are you getting that phrase?

a CFR violation was rarely prosecuted before Mueller

Most politicians are smart enough to avoid giving prosecutors a smoking gun like an email exchange establishing definitively that they were meeting with agents of a foreign regime for the purpose of receiving assistance in an American election. Trump's team left exactly such a smoking gun. Although prosecutions are rare, they're hardly unheard of in cases where politicians are that unbelievably stupid. Ask Ernie Newton, Anthony Chiappone, Michael Cohen, Dinesh D'Souza, Mike Easley, Richie Farmer, Carroll Hubbard, Jesse Jackson Jr., or Angelo Marrotta. I understand that Trump partisans want there to be a special exception to the general campaign finance regulations that "if it's for Trump, it's OK," but that's not an official part of the law.

ya. they could I suppose. but campaigns aren't going to outsource any of that

Why not? If the law is reinterpreted contrary to its plain meaning, the way you wish, in order to create a brand new exception for Trump, what's to prevent campaigns from offloading a huge amount of their expenses to foreign-funded information services outsourcers? Why, for example, hire someone with legitimately-sourced campaign funds to run focus groups for you, if instead foreign nationals can run the same focus groups at their own expense and then just tell you the results? Why pay legitimately sourced money for a poll if a foreign national can run the poll at his expense and then just tell you the results? And if the Trump Exception becomes a thing, there's nothing to prevent you from coordinating with those foreign operations, the same way the Trump campaign coordinated with the Russian agents in their Trump Tower meeting. It's not like you'd even be limited just to receiving whatever information they happen to have gathered, with no interaction. You can actually sit down with them, in full knowledge that they're working on behalf of a foreign government looking to subvert a US election, and discuss how best to do that. It's not like the Trump team just received an email from the Russian agents giving them information and then they decided to use it. They agreed to sit down and talk. Whether that was to set up a quid pro quo exchange (we'll give you the info if you commit to removing sanctions), or whether it was merely to coordinate campaign activities, it was clearly illegal.

This was not the reason for CFRs though -it was always about money/in kind.

The reason for that part was to prevent foreign interference in our elections. To prevent exactly the kind of bullshit word games you're trying, they even expressly added a "or thing of value" catch-all, so nobody could honestly think they only meant a particular variety of assistance. Now, if you have some legislative history saying otherwise, just link to it. But a flat assertion isn't going to cut it. Just because the Republican talking-points factories have told you something is no reason to believe it.

The Dems are out for blood and they don't care how they get it.

The top people in Trump's campaign colluded with Russian agents for the EXPRESS purpose of the Russian government getting Trump elected. That's fact. If you can hear that and NOT be "out for blood," you are suffering from a serious lack of patriotism.

I'm a lot more concerned about prosecutorial abuse given the Dems resistance mindset

There's always a risk of prosecutorial abuse, but in this case, the risk appears to be very small for a few reasons.

First, remember that Mueller has been EXTRAORDINARILY ethical so far. This isn't like the bad old days of Ken Starr standing on his front lawn feeding the tabloid press damaging innuendo about Clinton. Mueller has kept out of the limelight as much as he can and focused on his job. Nor is he "Pulling a Starr" and wandering from topic to topic hoping to find something, anything, to embarrass his political enemies.... going from a old Arkansas land deal to details of the president's current consensual sex life. In fact, when Mueller finds possible evidence of potential lawbreaking unrelated to Russia, he simply refers it to other authorities and leaves it to their discretion whether to follow up on it, while he stays laser focused on issues involving improper relations between top people around Trump and the Russian government.

Nor is this a Starr-like situation where opposition-party partisans appointed an opposition-party operative to use a trivial accusation as the foot in the door for frustrating the president. In this case, we are talking about very serious accusations that go right to the heart of the integrity of our system of government, and the man put in charge of looking into it is a highly respected fellow member of Trump's own party, not an opposition hack.

I think those fretting about prosecutorial misconduct, in the face of a mountain of evidence that nothing of the sort is happening, are more concerned about prosecutorial effectiveness. Deep down, they suspect that the Trump/Russia corruption goes right to the top, and they want to discredit their fellow Republican before he proves it.

your lack of presumption of innocence is duly noted

Everyone is given the presumption of innocence when indicted whether they are truly guilty or innocent. Then it is up the the prosecution to prove any guilt beyond a reasonable doubt. At no time in proving a crime in court can an indictment be used as proof a crime was committed and the reverse is also true.

The reality of guilt or innocence can be separate from what can be proven in court. Guilty people have been found not guilty and innocent people have been found guilty. Our personal opinions about guilt and innocent can also be separate from a legal proceeding. I highly doubt that the people that shouting "Lock her up" are presuming Hillary is innocent until proven guilty.

you are a trollish pest because you simply come around and criticize posts without making any statements of your own.

anyone can pick part another post - when I see you making some declarative positions on your own I'll take you seriously- until then you are a pest.

There was nothing given to Trump Jr. no opposition research, no quid pro quo for a corrupt conspiracy.

further "in kind" means goods or services - opposition research is only "in kind" if it was paid for -this was not.

go post some thing affirmative on your own, and quit acting like like the boards sheriff

So by disagreeing with you and providing sources to back up why I disagree with you that means I am not making statements of my own?

The law specifically states that simply soliciting a contribution from a foreign national is a violation. That is why I bolded those words.
You keep arguing that "in kind" is required in the law and that "in kind" means money had to pay for it. That is complete nonsense. (How's that for a declarative statement?)

It's funny how all wrong doers always hate the sheriff even if he is just trying to keep them from hurting themselves. ;)

That is the constitutional reality. But the constitutional reality doesn't necessarily reflect whether someone committed a crime or not.

If Page is indicted that indictment isn't proof he committed the crime.
If Page is not indicted that lack of indictment isn't proof he didn't commit the crime.

The constitutional reality is the only one that matters.

Carter Page is an innocent man and quite possibly the victim of a crime.

Immunity gives you immunity from prosecution of any crimes you reveal. It doesn't give you immunity for any lies you tell while you have immunity.

It seems I do have to go on and on about since some people think it is OK for some people to lie to Congress.

No one should get away with lying to Congress or investigators

But they do, and which side of the partisan divide they are on, matters greatly.

We don't know the extent of any coordination at this point.

True. We know that top members of the Trump campaign knowingly met with Russian agents for the express purpose of the Russian government helping Trump get elected, and we can logically conclude that the reason for the meeting was some sort of negotiation or coordination (otherwise, why not just send the information by the same means they used for the invitation), but exactly what form that ended up taking is up in the air. The Trump team solicited the illegal assistance, but what they were willing to do to get it is an open question.

There are hints of possible contacts

There is proof of actual contacts. Lots and lots of them. Clearly there were attempts on both sides to explore coordination and/or quid pro quo exchanges, but it's unclear how far those efforts went.

The meeting with Russian nationals in Trump Tower can only really violate the campaign law that prohibits soliciting contributions from foreign nationals. It has nothing to do with foreign agents whether an FSB agent or a government lawyer.

Incorrect. It involved people who worked for the Russian government offering to provide valuable information to the campaign as part of the Russian government's efforts on behalf of the Trump campaign. That much is crystal clear from the emails.

Carter Page is an innocent man
Certainly the partisans on the right would like to assert that, but neither you nor I know for sure. What we know is that an impartial court looked at secret evidence against him and decided there was strong enough reason in it to conclude there was probable cause to believe Page was a foreign agent who knowingly engaging in clandestine intelligence for the Russian government. Was the FISA court right to draw that conclusion given everything they saw? Neither of us knows, because neither of us has seen that information. I'm honest enough to admit that. Are you?

Certainly the partisans on the right would like to assert that, but neither you nor I know for sure. What we know is that an impartial court looked at secret evidence against him and decided there was strong enough reason in it to conclude there was probable cause to believe Page was a foreign agent who knowingly engaging in clandestine intelligence for the Russian government. Was the FISA court right to draw that conclusion given everything they saw? Neither of us knows, because neither of us has seen that information. I'm honest enough to admit that. Are you?

what we know is that the fbi used false data to spy on innocent people.

its over for you guys. its time to head to your bolt hole.

what we know is that the fbi used false data to spy on innocent people.

Yes, the FBI has a bad habit of doing that, especially back in the 1960s and 1970s with efforts like Cointelpro. But, is there any evidence that they used any false data to spy on any innocent people in this case? Again, remember this isn't like the bad old days of the disgraced president Bush ordering warrantless electronic surveillance of US persons without the required FISA warrants -- a felony. Instead, it's a matter of investigators presenting their evidence to a court and getting a warrant.

The top people in Trump's campaign colluded with Russian agents for the EXPRESS purpose of the Russian government getting Trump elected. That's fact. If you can hear that and NOT be "out for blood," you are suffering from a serious lack of patriotism.
No, that isn't currently fact. It is a conclusion.

These are reasonably supported facts:

The Russians attempted to interfere in US elections.
People in the Trump campaign had contacts with Russians.
People in the Trump campaign appear to have been willing to accept help from Russians.

While those facts might lead to a conclusion that people in the Trump campaign colluded with Russian agents, it doesn't make it a fact that they did. The allegation is certainly serious enough to warrant further investigation but I suggest waiting until the investigation is over before jumping to your conclusions.

Yes, the FBI has a bad habit of doing that, especially back in the 1960s and 1970s with efforts like Cointelpro. But, is there any evidence that they used any false data to spy on any innocent people in this case? Again, remember this isn't like the bad old days of the disgraced president Bush ordering warrantless electronic surveillance of US persons without the required FISA warrants -- a felony. Instead, it's a matter of investigators presenting their evidence to a court and getting a warrant.

yes. the steele dossier, known to be false , was used to justify spying on carter page, known to be innocent.

Are you honest enough to draw the most plausible inference?

Namely: Page is a free man because Mullet had nothing to charge him with.

No, that isn't currently fact. It is a conclusion.

No, it's indisputable FACT. We have the emails proving that Trump's son, son-in-law, and campaign chair all met with people who had revealed themselves by email to be Russian agents offering up valuable information as part of the Russian government's attempt to get Trump elected. Those facts may be uncomfortable for people who pride themselves for their moderation to acknowledge, since it sounds immoderate to speak such a stark truth. But your delicacy cannot alter the truth. The facts as I stated them are correct.

While those facts might lead to a conclusion that people in the Trump campaign colluded with Russian agents

Perhaps we're getting bogged down in semantics. Which definition of "collusion" are you using? The first dictionary definition I find is:

"a secret or illegal cooperation or conspiracy, especially in order to cheat or deceive others"

The second is:

"illegal cooperation or conspiracy"

I think it satisfies both those definitions. It was both secret (various attempts were made to prevent the meeting from becoming known outside Trump circles) and illegal (it involved soliciting foreigners for something of value related to a campaign, which is a campaign finance violation). They were conspiring to do something unlawful. And if they'd succeeded it would have constituted cheating in the election. The "collusion" boxes are very clearly checked. But if you apply a different definition, what is it, specifically?

yes. the steele dossier, known to be false , was used to justify spying on carter page, known to be innocent.

No, the Steele Dossier was not known to be false at the time it was presented as one part of the evidence used to support a request for a warrant. No, Page isn't known to be innocent. Do you have any support for either claim?

No, the Steele Dossier was not known to be false at the time it was presented as one part of the evidence used to support a request for a warrant. No, Page isn't known to be innocent. Do you have any support for either claim?

yeah. reality. look into it.

Who is Mullet?

As for Page's freedom, what we can draw as plausible inferences:

(1) There's enough evidence to pass the "probable cause" threshold that Page operated as a foreign agent doing clandestine intelligence for the Russian government.

(2) There's not yet enough evidence to pass the "beyond a reasonable doubt" threshold.

(3) Page is conscious of enough criminal wrongdoing on his own part that he invoked the fifth rather than cooperate with government attempts to protect our country, by testifying about his dealings with Russia.

Will there end up being enough evidence to pass the reasonable doubt standard by the time the Mueller investigation is over? I have no idea.

So you are of the opinion that if a person has not yet been charged by Mueller...

...that means that Mueller has nothing on him?

And you actually are offering that as "the most plausible inference?"

I'm never sure if you are just kidding, Darth.

I'm hoping you are here.

I'd hate to think that your reasoning is that screwed up.

So you are of the opinion that if a person has not yet been charged by Mueller...

...that means that Mueller has nothing on him?

And you actually are offering that as "the most plausible inference?"

I'm never sure if you are just kidding, Darth.

I'm hoping you are here.

I'd hate to think that your reasoning is that screwed up.

Well Frankie, I’ve been waiting, for about five pages, for someone to offer an explanation as to what Mullet would have to gain by NOT charging Page and allowing him to make the talk show circut lol.

Maybe you can help. Or not.

Back