It's not just lack of God in schools

The Religious Right’s Shameful Exploitation of Newtown Massacre

It’s commonplace for Religious Right leaders to blame the godlessness of Americans for hurricanes, tornadoes, the 911 attack, and the gay rights movement. And, as someone who regularly monitors and writes about the Religious Right’s activities, I am seldom surprised by the ills its leaders ascribe to godlessness. Nevertheless, even I was shocked by the comments of two nationally prominent conservative religious leaders in the wake of the Connecticut elementary school murders.

Two of the most shameful observations about the massacre at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Connecticut, which killed 26 people, including 20 children, came from Mike Huckabee, former Arkansas Governor, Fox Television Channel news contributor. and host of a Saturday night Fox television program, and Joel Rosenberg, the best-selling author of apocalyptic novels.

On Friday, the day of the massacre, Huckabee, who often comes across as affable and sensible, responded to the shootings by saying that the incident was no surprise because we have "systematically removed God" from public schools.

"We ask why there is violence in our schools, but we have systematically removed God from our schools," Huckabee said on Fox News. "Should we be so surprised that schools would become a place of carnage? Because we've made it a place where we don't want to talk about eternity, life, what responsibility means, accountability -- that we're not just going to have be accountable to the police if they catch us, but one day we stand before, you know, a holy God in judgment. If we don't believe that, then we don't fear that."

Huckabee was revisiting his late-July stance following the Aurora, Colorado movie theater shootings. At the time, Huckabee said that "We don't have a crime problem, a gun problem or even a violence problem. What we have is a sin problem. And since we've ordered god out of our schools, and communities, the military and public conversations, you know we really shouldn't act so surprised... when all hell breaks loose."

Joel Rosenberg is not nearly as well-known a public figure as Mike Huckabee, but he is nevertheless a formidable figure on the Religious Right as an author of several best-selling apocalyptic novels and several non-fiction works on the Middle East.

His Flash Traffic post titled “Implosion Update: The Demons of Violence are on the Loose in America. But Why? And Where Do We Go From Here?” pointed out that “It's not just "the economy, stupid." We are, in many respects, in a moral and spiritual freefall in our country, and we are paying a terrible price.”

Rosenberg maintained that "The demons of violence and lawlessness are the loose all across America ... . [and] the further we turn away from God in our nation -- the further we drive Him out of our society, our of our schools and courts, and out of our media and out of our homes, or the more we give mere lip service to religion, the more men are "holding to a form of godliness, although they have denied its power" (2 Timothy 3:5) -- the worse things are getting."

Rosenberg asked readers to “Consider the cultural war against Jesus and Christmas that has been waged just in the last few days,” and he went on to cite several recent headlines:

* Fox News headline: “Holiday message: Atheists dub Jesus a ‘myth’ on Times Square billboard”

* CNN column, “Have yourself a merry atheist Christmas“

* AP article about the “War on Christmas”

* Fox News story about a rapper singing about a “Gangbanger Jesus”

* KTVA-TV (Alaska) story: “Atheists Wage War on Christmas in Anchorage: Anti-religion signs on People Mover buses”

* Comedy Central’s Jon Stewart wages war on Christmas and mocks those who thinks he’s wrong

He added: “The Lord God Almighty is a gentleman. He won't force us to accept His great love and many blessings. If a nation tells Him to leave, He will leave. But what are we reaping as a result of a society that increasingly ignores God and hates or dismisses Jesus Christ? We are witnessing a horrifying explosion of murder. We are witnessing a gruesome crime wave unprecedented in American history. And there appears to be no end in sight. In recent years, we've seen brutal mass murders in high schools, on college campuses, and in small towns all across America (a recent FBI report says the murder rate soared 18.3% in small towns in America last year alone).”

Rosenberg cautioned that “there is a point of no return – a point at which God removes His hand of grace and mercy and turns to the judgment of America.”

In a piece that runs for hundreds of words, Rosenberg never once mentions the word gun (he uses the word “gunman” twice, and the phrase “gunned down” once). He never advocates for responsible or sensible gun control, never acknowledges the epidemic of guns in this country. Not once. Never ever.

We can no longer afford to stay silent. It is the moral imperative of our leaders — secular and religious -- to respond to this latest tragedy as a call to action. And Huckabee, Rosenberg and their brethren, should be ashamed of their callous response to the pain of others.

By BILL BERKOWITZ

huckabee-Gods-pissed.jpg

I don't disagree on where the problem is. I just wish we had a better way to get people to be nice to each other than tricking them with fairy tales about coming to life again after they're dead.

I keep hearing people say the problem is, we have taken God out of the schools, that's why we have tragedies like CT. I can't agree with this, because it wouldn't have mattered if these children had been praying and reading bibles, the monster who killed them would have still done what he did. This wasn't about a lack of God in schools.

This was about a lack of God everywhere in society, and our culture of bashing and trashing God at every turn, and those who believe in God. It's about a whole generation, maybe two, who have been raised up with no God and no moral upbringing. Surrounded by misfits and miscreants who think it's "COOL" to bash and trash God and religious people.

At the same time, these same degenerates want to legalize all drugs! Knock down all laws based on morality! No, we can't lock people away against their will anymore, that's forbidden now! Forget trying to do that, it's not going to happen, so we have all these mentally unstable people running around with no moral guidance and no sense of decent moral value, and certainly, no religious or "Godly" guidance in their lives. It's the "IN" thing now, for young people to run around making fun of God, making fun of people who believe in God, and constantly attacking morality. THAT is the culture, THAT is the world we find ourselves in... the kind of world where a 20-year-old doesn't think a thing in the world about killing innocent kindergartners.

The God I know is in SCHOOLS, regardless of what rule the Government imposes, regardless of if there is government prayer in school. The God I know does not follow mans laws. The God I know does not abandon people if they done pray. The God I know does not require an official school led prayer to garner his presence.

Seemingly terrable things happen in this world governed by the God I know... And I dont ask God why, I trust and have faith that what has happened was what must be, the reason is not for me.

My God is present regardless of if the Government reconizes it to be so.

My God is not affected by the presence of non-presence of the 10 Comandments being on the wall at a Courthouse or a prayer being said at a school, or his name being on our money or in our pledge. These are the things of man and do not affect the existance or presence of my God.

I feel pitty for those who belive that the Government can get God out of schools simply by failing to reconize Gods presence.

It’s commonplace for Religious Right leaders to blame the godlessness of Americans for hurricanes, tornadoes, the 911 attack, and the gay rights movement. And, as someone who regularly monitors and writes about the Religious Right’s activities, I am seldom surprised by the ills its leaders ascribe to godlessness. Nevertheless, even I was shocked by the comments of two nationally prominent conservative religious leaders in the wake of the Connecticut elementary school murders.

Two of the most shameful observations about the massacre at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Connecticut, which killed 26 people, including 20 children, came from Mike Huckabee, former Arkansas Governor, Fox Television Channel news contributor. and host of a Saturday night Fox television program, and Joel Rosenberg, the best-selling author of apocalyptic novels.

On Friday, the day of the massacre, Huckabee, who often comes across as affable and sensible, responded to the shootings by saying that the incident was no surprise because we have "systematically removed God" from public schools.

"We ask why there is violence in our schools, but we have systematically removed God from our schools," Huckabee said on Fox News. "Should we be so surprised that schools would become a place of carnage? Because we've made it a place where we don't want to talk about eternity, life, what responsibility means, accountability -- that we're not just going to have be accountable to the police if they catch us, but one day we stand before, you know, a holy God in judgment. If we don't believe that, then we don't fear that."

Huckabee was revisiting his late-July stance following the Aurora, Colorado movie theater shootings. At the time, Huckabee said that "We don't have a crime problem, a gun problem or even a violence problem. What we have is a sin problem. And since we've ordered god out of our schools, and communities, the military and public conversations, you know we really shouldn't act so surprised... when all hell breaks loose."

Joel Rosenberg is not nearly as well-known a public figure as Mike Huckabee, but he is nevertheless a formidable figure on the Religious Right as an author of several best-selling apocalyptic novels and several non-fiction works on the Middle East.

His Flash Traffic post titled “Implosion Update: The Demons of Violence are on the Loose in America. But Why? And Where Do We Go From Here?” pointed out that “It's not just "the economy, stupid." We are, in many respects, in a moral and spiritual freefall in our country, and we are paying a terrible price.”

Rosenberg maintained that "The demons of violence and lawlessness are the loose all across America ... . [and] the further we turn away from God in our nation -- the further we drive Him out of our society, our of our schools and courts, and out of our media and out of our homes, or the more we give mere lip service to religion, the more men are "holding to a form of godliness, although they have denied its power" (2 Timothy 3:5) -- the worse things are getting."

Rosenberg asked readers to “Consider the cultural war against Jesus and Christmas that has been waged just in the last few days,” and he went on to cite several recent headlines:

* Fox News headline: “Holiday message: Atheists dub Jesus a ‘myth’ on Times Square billboard”

* CNN column, “Have yourself a merry atheist Christmas“

* AP article about the “War on Christmas”

* Fox News story about a rapper singing about a “Gangbanger Jesus”

* KTVA-TV (Alaska) story: “Atheists Wage War on Christmas in Anchorage: Anti-religion signs on People Mover buses”

* Comedy Central’s Jon Stewart wages war on Christmas and mocks those who thinks he’s wrong

He added: “The Lord God Almighty is a gentleman. He won't force us to accept His great love and many blessings. If a nation tells Him to leave, He will leave. But what are we reaping as a result of a society that increasingly ignores God and hates or dismisses Jesus Christ? We are witnessing a horrifying explosion of murder. We are witnessing a gruesome crime wave unprecedented in American history. And there appears to be no end in sight. In recent years, we've seen brutal mass murders in high schools, on college campuses, and in small towns all across America (a recent FBI report says the murder rate soared 18.3% in small towns in America last year alone).”

Rosenberg cautioned that “there is a point of no return – a point at which God removes His hand of grace and mercy and turns to the judgment of America.”

In a piece that runs for hundreds of words, Rosenberg never once mentions the word gun (he uses the word “gunman” twice, and the phrase “gunned down” once). He never advocates for responsible or sensible gun control, never acknowledges the epidemic of guns in this country. Not once. Never ever.

We can no longer afford to stay silent. It is the moral imperative of our leaders — secular and religious -- to respond to this latest tragedy as a call to action. And Huckabee, Rosenberg and their brethren, should be ashamed of their callous response to the pain of others.

By BILL BERKOWITZ

huckabee-Gods-pissed.jpg

What is shocking and pittafull to me is that Huckelberry belives that the GOVERNMENT has the power to remove GOD from anywhere. He follows a weak God!

I keep hearing people say the problem is, we have taken God out of the schools, that's why we have tragedies like CT. I can't agree with this, because it wouldn't have mattered if these children had been praying and reading bibles, the monster who killed them would have still done what he did. This wasn't about a lack of God in schools.

This was about a lack of God everywhere in society, and our culture of bashing and trashing God at every turn, and those who believe in God. It's about a whole generation, maybe two, who have been raised up with no God and no moral upbringing. Surrounded by misfits and miscreants who think it's "COOL" to bash and trash God and religious people.

At the same time, these same degenerates want to legalize all drugs! Knock down all laws based on morality! No, we can't lock people away against their will anymore, that's forbidden now! Forget trying to do that, it's not going to happen, so we have all these mentally unstable people running around with no moral guidance and no sense of decent moral value, and certainly, no religious or "Godly" guidance in their lives. It's the "IN" thing now, for young people to run around making fun of God, making fun of people who believe in God, and constantly attacking morality. THAT is the culture, THAT is the world we find ourselves in... the kind of world where a 20-year-old doesn't think a thing in the world about killing innocent kindergartners.

Absolutely moronic thought in my opinion.

Every bit as moronic as this demented shit ..

James Dobson: Connecticut Shooting Linked To Gay Marriage
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/...necticut-shooting-gay-marriage_n_2318015.html

A nation of morons.

The same morons who clings to guns are the same morons talking about "god."

Fuck "god."

America kills children all the time.

The God I know is in SCHOOLS, regardless of what rule the Government imposes, regardless of if there is government prayer in school. The God I know does not follow mans laws. The God I know does not abandon people if they done pray. The God I know does not require an official school led prayer to garner his presence.

Seemingly terrable things happen in this world governed by the God I know... And I dont ask God why, I trust and have faith that what has happened was what must be, the reason is not for me.

My God is present regardless of if the Government reconizes it to be so.

My God is not affected by the presence of non-presence of the 10 Comandments being on the wall at a Courthouse or a prayer being said at a school, or his name being on our money or in our pledge. These are the things of man and do not affect the existance or presence of my God.

I feel pitty for those who belive that the Government can get God out of schools simply by failing to reconize Gods presence.

What about all the gods you do not believe in?

What about all the gods you do not believe in?

Its not that I belive in my God, its that I know my God.

If you believe in a God that can be banished by a Government, the God you belive in is not much of a God.

If you believe in a God that can be banished by a Government, the God you belive in is not much of a God.

Has your government banished all the other gods? If so why? If not, why?
If you believe in only one god and you don't believe in the two thousand or so other gods invented by men, why?

What is shocking and pittafull to me is that Huckelberry belives that the GOVERNMENT has the power to remove GOD from anywhere. He follows a weak God!

As long as God is in your heart, you don't need him in your school.

she taught a very troubled young man how to kill effectively.

You keep saying this, you fucking cunt; but you've presented nothing to support your lies.
Maybe she took him to the gun range, so she could keep an eye on him while she practiced.

But then; you did teach all your children on how to hate women.

She was a prepper and didn't secure her weapons. She obviously had some issues of her own don't you think? Why all the kneejerk reaction to rational regulation and a ban on assault rifles? Why? It makes no rational sense. If the NRA is so proud of it's promotion of gun ownership why wouldn't they go on TV and represent their point of view? The same people that squeal about gun ownership and the second amendment are the same ones that want to force their religion on all of us...religion or a lack of it in our schools has nothing to do with what happened in this school. To suggest it does is just more useless propaganda from the right.

How do you know she didn't secure her weapons, bitch?

This wasn't about a lack of God, it was about a lack of protection for our kids. We spend billions protecting dirtbags and slime that we call politicians, but almost nothing protecting kids we call a national treasure. Nobody's worn knees on their pants would stop some insane fricker from doing something like this. One armed dude on the side of the kids could have.

Has your government banished all the other gods? If so why? If not, why?
If you believe in only one god and you don't believe in the two thousand or so other gods invented by men, why?

My Government has not banashed any true God from anywhere. By the very nature of being a God, you cannot be banished by a Government.

I belive in a universal, which is by its nature not the same as any God that is not a universal. My God includes any and all other Gods, invented by man or not.

This wasn't about a lack of God, it was about a lack of protection for our kids. We spend billions protecting dirtbags and slime that we call politicians, but almost nothing protecting kids we call a national treasure. Nobody's worn knees on their pants would stop some insane fricker from doing something like this. One armed dude on the side of the kids could have.

I am not against the idea of an armed trained pre-qualified professional stationed at all schools.

Back