Jan 6th "Thug" called the "Praying Grandma" convicted...

Ugh... ages... as in longer than a few generations... nobody alive remembers its creation... we all read about it... being pedantic is not a superpower it just makes you look like a jack wad.

Lots of knew takes on history happen in your ranks

You have faith, and I respect that. But the rest of us do not have faith in what you have faith in. That does not make you wrong, but it does mean we disagree about what is right.

That’s why they hate Democracy

You have faith, and I respect that. But the rest of us do not have faith in what you have faith in. That does not make you wrong, but it does mean we disagree about what is right.

LOL. I do not. Seriously. Nope. No faith. Not even a little.

LOL. I do not. Seriously. Nope. No faith. Not even a little.
No faith at all or simply no religious faith in old men with long beards sitting on a golden throne determining your fate in the afterlife?

Certainly you have faith in the laws of the Universe such as falling off a cliff only goes on one direction? Faith in this forum? Your family? Your skills?

I completely lack faith too. I feel a little hollow about it.

Two kinds of faith.

The religious kind, where there is belief without proof, mostly in a deity.

Then, there’s the kind that merely means complete trust in something or someone.

The former doesn’t work for me. The latter does.

No faith at all or simply no religious faith in old men with long beards sitting on a golden throne determining your fate in the afterlife?

Certainly you have faith in the laws of the Universe such as falling off a cliff only goes on one direction? Faith in this forum? Your family? Your skills?

I have faith that there is some meaning behind the physical laws and rational mathmatical organization of the universe.

I have faith that it is meaningful to be open to the power of these questions.

1. Is existence meaningful, absurd, or both?
2. How should I live my life? Does it matter?
3. How should I relate to other people, and why?
4. What does death mean, if anything?

Search for meaning and taking these questions seriously is a leap of faith, because it's possible our existence has no higher meaning and our significance is irrelevant to the universe. That's why humanity has always had cynics, nihilists, materialists. Because it's an open question.

I personally believe that the wisdom to be open these questions requires a serious look at science, philosophy, religion. In my personal experience, there seems to be as much truth and knowledge in the Daodejing and the Dhammapada as there is in my physics and chemistry textbooks.

She broke the law

convicted on 4 charges of entering and remaining in a restricted building, disorderly and disruptive conduct inside a restricted building, disorderly conduct in the Capitol and parading or picketing in the Capitol

I have faith that there is some meaning behind the physical laws and rational mathmatical organization of the universe.

I have faith that it is meaningful to be open to the power of these questions.

1. Is existence meaningful, absurd, or both?
2. How should I live my life? Does it matter?
3. How should I relate to other people, and why?
4. What does death mean, if anything?

Search for meaning and taking these questions seriously is a leap of faith, because it's possible our existence has no higher meaning and our significance is irrelevant to the universe. That's why humanity has always had cynics, nihilists, materialists. Because it's an open question.

I personally believe that the wisdom to be open these questions requires a serious look at science, philosophy, religion. In my personal experience, there seems to be as much truth and knowledge in the Daodejing and the Dhammapada as there is in my physics and chemistry textbooks.
Well said and agreed on the questions.

Ancient texts like the Torah, Bible and the Dhammapad offer wisdom from ages of humans trying to understand the Universe and the people around them. Common laws are seen in all of them such as not stealing from or killing each other. Revering or worshiping these texts isn’t required in order to learn from them.

Two kinds of faith.

The religious kind, where there is belief without proof, mostly in a deity.

Then, there’s the kind that merely means complete trust in something or someone.

The former doesn’t work for me. The latter does.

I have a problem getting any form of trust, or faith. I have loyalty, but no trust. I really do respect those that have faith.

What begins to bother me is when the people with faith are willing to basically lie to themselves about what the facts are.

Same questions to you, Walt.

I’m not religious, but I have faith there is more to existence than what is in front of our noses. As the link below points out, I think it’s important to have Faith, especially over fear.

https://www.justplainpolitics.com/s...-person-ThatOwlWoman-is&p=5921951#post5921951

I find myself always questioning everything, including what is right before my face. I read your other post, and am reminded of several plane crashes where the pilot or navigator died cursing his instruments, that turned out to be completely working. They were so sure of their feelings, they would ignore their instruments. Conversely, I remember the scene in China Syndrome where they keep draining the nuclear plant core thinking they have plenty of water in it, only to tap the gauge and have it suddenly get unstuck and drop to scary low levels.

I have had similar experiences in my life. With computer programming, it is always the code's bug, and never the compiler's bug... And yet I have actually found compilers that have had bugs. Nothing in my life that I should be able to trust have I been able to trust.

That all being said, without loyalty, what is the point in life.

Well said and agreed on the questions.

Ancient texts like the Torah, Bible and the Dhammapad offer wisdom from ages of humans trying to understand the Universe and the people around them. Common laws are seen in all of them such as not stealing from or killing each other. Revering or worshiping these texts isn’t required in order to learn from them.

I agree with the premise of Richard Dawkins that is some real sense, the people of Europe, Asia, and the Americas are still largely cultural Christians, cultural Buddhists, cultural Taoists, cultural Jews even when the religious language and context has been stripped away. Some of the ancient wisdom has seeped into our collective DNA in a way that the writings and ideas of German and French philosophy professors never did.

I agree with the premise of Richard Dawkins that is some real sense, the people of Europe, Asia, and the Americas are still largely cultural Christians, cultural Buddhists, cultural Taoists, cultural Jews even when the religious language and context has been stripped away. Some of the ancient wisdom has seeped into our collective DNA in a way that the writings and ideas of German and French philosophy professors never did.
Which makes sense since the ancient texts have been around for a few thousand years compared to the few hundred years of Kant or Descartes.

Along those same lines, human nature has remained the same for up to 30,000 years*. It’s only been in the last few hundred that we’ve had the Industrial Age and cubicles. That short time span doesn’t change the fact we are mainly products of the wilderness.

*anatomical modern humans for about 300,000 years.

She entered the capital, stayed 10 minutes to pray, then left...

Is this the kind of thug you are talking about, Jarod?

https://coloradosun.com/2024/04/05/rebecca-lavrenz-falcon-jan-6-riot/

Good. If you or I had gone in there and left in 10 minutes, whether we prayed or pooped or just stood there looking as stupid as we would be if we did what she did -- we'd be convicted too. I don't think prayer gets you out of breaking the law. Try it out sometime! Go in your bank, hand the teller a note demanding money, pray with her, and leave w/o money. See what happens. :laugh:

Which makes sense since the ancient texts have been around for a few thousand years compared to the few hundred years of Kant or Descartes.

Along those same lines, human nature has remained the same for up to 30,000 years*. It’s only been in the last few hundred that we’ve had the Industrial Age and cubicles. That short time span doesn’t change the fact we are mainly products of the wilderness.

*anatomical modern humans for about 300,000 years.
good point about antiquity

Human biology hasn't changed in principle.

I think human values and human ethics have made huge advances, along with advances in technology, art, science.

We have set the bar much higher for ethical values, even if we frequently don't clear the bar.

She entered the capital, stayed 10 minutes to pray, then left...

Is this the kind of thug you are talking about, Jarod?

https://coloradosun.com/2024/04/05/rebecca-lavrenz-falcon-jan-6-riot/
Good. If you or I had gone in there and left in 10 minutes, whether we prayed or pooped or just stood there looking as stupid as we would be if we did what she did -- we'd be convicted too. I don't think prayer gets you out of breaking the law. Try it out sometime! Go in your bank, hand the teller a note demanding money, pray with her, and leave w/o money. See what happens. :laugh:
Agreed we’d be guilty of a crime. The main problem for granny is that she broke the law, knows she broke the law and then pleaded not guilty forcing the state through the time and expense of a trial. The smart, non-violent offenders pleaded guilty and took their sentences like honest people.

Examples: https://www.newsweek.com/full-list-capitol-rioters-jailed-sentences-january-6-1826075

good point about antiquity

Human biology hasn't changed in principle.

I think human values and human ethics have made huge advances, along with advances in technology, art, science.

We have set the bar much higher for ethical values, even if we frequently don't clear the bar.

Agreed on all points. That said, “the veneer of civilization is a thin one”. Mankind reverts to his animalistic nature when that veneer is stripped such as when participating in a mob seeking to overthrow our duly elected government.

Somehow I think the story that she just peacefully prayed is the tale being told in rightwing social media, but the court records might show a little more than that

Back