Juneteenth is America’s second Independence Day—here’s why

It’s more meaningful, Cinco de Mayo is Mexican history, Juneteenth is American history.

Agreed on the different histories. Meaningful varies. Cinco de Mayo is more popular in the US than in Mexico since, like St. Patrick's Day, it's a party day with a little cross-culturalism thrown in. Most Americans partying on Cinco de Mayo are not celebrating the defeat of the French in the battle of Puebla anymore than they are paying respect to the passing of Saint Patrick on March 17th.

If marketers want to make Juneteenth bigger, they need to play up the party aspect of it. Specifically, food and beer. After a few decades of commercialization, Juneteenth will become just another party day for most Americans.

From the link below, I'm thinking red beer and BBQ'd chicken or pork with red sauces, corn or potato salad with lots of paprika, etc.

https://www.oprahdaily.com/life/a36479941/juneteenth-food-traditions/
Red Juneteenth Foods: Soda, punch, hibiscus tea, red velvet cake, red beans and rice, hot sauce, fruits (strawberry, watermelon)

Ask anyone familiar with the traditions of Juneteenth and they'll mention the color red. Culinary historian and writer Michael Twitty tells Oprah Daily that the historical importance of red food traces back to the times of enslavement. Because many of the more common foods of the day were white, green, or brown, there was an excitement that came with the rarity of eating red-colored treats. In the 19th century, this made certain vibrant delicacies worth celebrating. And in the later half of the 1800s, following the Civil War, Black Americans would even occasionally use an expensive South American dye called cochineal, which was used to color foods red.

But what made the color even more significant was Texas's status as one of the last states to participate in the American slave trade. Twitty explains that many Africans came through Galveston, an island city on the Gulf Coast of the state, which also happens to be the birthplace of Juneteenth. "Texas was at the end of the world to the Antebellum South. There were a lot of enslaved Africans who were coming to Texas from the continent and through the Caribbean. The color red is highly associated with the cultures that would've come through the later years of the trade, which would have been Yoruba and Kongo."

Juneteenth is an Ebonic word.
I can't recognize it.

Most liberals don't care about dignity any more than trumpanzees do,
but I'm not one of those.

I can't imagine a serious black person in America not being ashamed of that word.
The name "Juneteenth" belittles them, suggests that they're illiterate, yet so many embrace it.
Like "Woke." Sounds so dumb and unpolished.

Why do you think it's "Ebonics" and belittling?
Why don't you ask Phantasmal why she calls Nifty Niblick a "bigot" for thinking that about a word? ... or do you also believe that Nifty Niblick should be punished for attempting to quash the stereotype that blacks are stupid morons who aren't intelligent enough to speak English properly? I mean, I wouldn't put it past you the way you fight tooth and nail to maintain Planned Parenthood killing dark-skinned living humans at 51-times the rate of light-skinned living humans ... so you don't feel any need to ask Phansatasmal why she sees the world in the same light.

I can see where you're coming from. Kill those living humans, right? ... especially those who haven't committed any crime. Well done. And if they have dark skin, all the better, right? We can't have Nifty Niblick standing in the way, right?

“Black history is American history,” decrying challenges to suppress it and introducing the “grandmother of Juneteenth,” Opal Lee, who fought for the federal holiday.

Guano, is it possible the pissed off slave loving democrats will want to erase Opal Lee from history like they have so many other historical figures?

DOES HOW YOU CELEBRATE JUNETEENTH MATTER IF YOU AREN’T BLACK?
Dr. Karida Brown, a sociology professor at Emory University whose research focuses on race, said there’s no reason to feel awkward about wanting to recognize Juneteenth because you have no personal ties or you’re not Black. In fact, embrace it.

“I would reframe that and challenge my non-Black folks who want to lean into Juneteenth and celebrate,” Brown said. “It absolutely is your history. It absolutely is a part of your experience. ... Isn’t this all of our history? The good, the bad, the ugly, the story of emancipation and freedom for for your Black brothers and sisters under the Constitution of the law.”

If you want to bring some authenticity to your recognition of Juneteenth, educate yourself. Attending a street festival or patronizing a Black-owned business is a good start but it also would be good to “make your mind better,” Anderson said.

“That goes longer than a celebration,” Anderson said. “I think Black people need to do it too because it’s new for us as well, in America. But for non-Black people, if they could read on this topic and read on Black history beyond Martin Luther King and Rosa Parks, that would show me that you’re really serious about growing in this area.”

https://apnews.com/article/juneteen...ration-guide-460084b8008206febf23bd8d083170fa

Guano, is it possible the pissed off slave loving democrats will want to erase Opal Lee from history like they have so many other historical figures?

Lee was born in Marshall, Texas on October 7, 1926. She was the oldest of three children of Mattie (Broadous) and Otis Flake.When she was 10 years old, she and her family moved to Fort Worth, Texas. The Flakes later moved to the 7th Ward of Fort Worth, also known as Terrell Heights.

In June 1939, her parents bought a house in the 900 block of East Annie Street, then a mostly white area. On June 19, 1939, 500 white rioters vandalized and burned down her home. Lee was twelve years old at the time

Lee was born in Marshall, Texas on October 7, 1926. She was the oldest of three children of Mattie (Broadous) and Otis Flake.When she was 10 years old, she and her family moved to Fort Worth, Texas. The Flakes later moved to the 7th Ward of Fort Worth, also known as Terrell Heights.

In June 1939, her parents bought a house in the 900 block of East Annie Street, then a mostly white area. On June 19, 1939, 500 white rioters vandalized and burned down her home. Lee was twelve years old at the time

The democrats will erase her from history. They loved them some slaves.

Not really.

Not really. The reason is that Democrats want to heavily downplay the fact that Republicans fought for, and brought about, the end of slavery, slavery that Democrats fought tooth and nail to preserve, and continue to pursue to this day. It's funny how you didn't mention this, guno.

Not really.

I haven't seen any increase in celebration of this whatsoever.

I'm guessing that Democrats believe that there aren't any dark-skinned people who even know that the Democrat Party is the Party of slavery.

Nobody celebrated juneteenth. Your entire post is once again a work of political revisionism.

Anyone who wants to celebrate juneteenth should thank the Republican Party, without whom blacks might very well still be in Democrat chains.

UBFullaShit.

Back