Lib evades taxes, admits hybrid technology isn't what it's touted

OK Juakeem, tax evader.

How's that Prius? Do they come with the Obama sticker already on it?

Oh, it's a Volt, how much was your GovCo check for? More tax evasion.

I am not sure who is the bigger idiot. Me, for deciding to slum it and debate the Yankee, or the Yankee.

A few clarifications as I am the one that is quoted. 1). I am a registered Republican in Wake County, NC. Look it up. It should be public record. I am not a liberal. Kinda blows your assertions out of the water. 2). I don't live in Chapel Hill. 3). I am not trying to evade anything. Most electric car owners expect to contribute to the road taxes, but there are not current mechanisms. I was on a statewide task force the provide guidance on these issues.

Hi, Robert (assuming it is you and not someone pretending to be you) - This board can be very rude, especially DY. It's best not to get in the muck with him. He won't listen to anything you say anyway.

Hi, Robert (assuming it is you and not someone pretending to be you) - This board can be very rude, especially DY. It's best not to get in the muck with him. He won't listen to anything you say anyway.
Your buddy maineman is a perfect gentleman and open-minded. /sarcasm

We need to pass legislation to close this tax gas evasion loophole.

Yes, I have owned a Prius, and assuming I can afford an electric pickup, I will buy one if it ever comes out. I also rode my bicycle on the highway and walked on sidewalks without paying gas taxes. If paying for roads is a problem, we need to fix it with new ways to collect road repair taxes. What if wagon trails had been paid for with a tax on buggy whips? No internal combustion?

It's true that the less gas you burn the fewer taxes are collected at the pump. But it is also true that NONE of the manufacturers of gas burners pay the costs of the medical repercussions or environmental downsides to society. Even the owners of these cars only pay when it impacts THEM. Like few smokers care about second hand smoke causing cancer. Few things exist in a vacuum. Like the plumber said, "Pay me now or pay me later."

Nor can I understand why wanting transportation that does not pollute has become partisan?

Yes, I have owned a Prius, and assuming I can afford an electric pickup, I will buy one if it ever comes out. I also rode my bicycle on the highway and walked on sidewalks without paying gas taxes. If paying for roads is a problem, we need to fix it with new ways to collect road repair taxes. What if wagon trails had been paid for with a tax on buggy whips? No internal combustion?

It's true that the less gas you burn the fewer taxes are collected at the pump. But it is also true that NONE of the manufacturers of gas burners pay the costs of the medical repercussions or environmental downsides to society. Even the owners of these cars only pay when it impacts THEM. Like few smokers care about second hand smoke causing cancer. Few things exist in a vacuum. Like the plumber said, "Pay me now or pay me later."

Nor can I understand why wanting transportation that does not pollute has become partisan?

Your car pollutes too, just on others, not you.

Bethcha picked up tons of chicks in that Prius though.

But you're taking advantage of this gas tax loophole and it needs to be closed.

DY, you can only control your own postings, not MM's or anyone else's postings.

And you just keep proving my point.

RedMule, I have no idea why electric cars should be a partisan issue. My guess is that it's just DY not liking anything he didn't dream up. He's already said in other forums that he practices as much tax avoidance as his accountants will let him get away with; maybe he's just jealous he didn't think of this way to get out of paying gas taxes.

Your car pollutes too, just on others, not you.

Bethcha picked up tons of chicks in that Prius though.

Yes, a hybrid car pollutes. Because it still burns gas. That is why we should have all-electric cars instead. Personally, I look forward to the day I have affordable and efficient solar panels on my home where I can plug in my electric car and once the solar panels have been paid for I can drive using free energy from the sun. Even more so, I look forward to the day when the people that move all our commodities can do so without having to add the cost of fuel to the price of everything we buy at the store. Then they can turn all those gas stations into playgrounds, or coffee shops, or something really useful.

But, WHY does this make you or anyone else so hateful and partisan about it? I'd like to know, because I really don't understand. I would have wanted the same things I do now back when I was a registered Republican.

But you're taking advantage of this gas tax loophole and it needs to be closed.

Certainly! Fix the problem on funding for maintaining our roads. I have no problem with that. But to insist we should go on polluting and squandering resources just so we can go on buying gas so we can pay for roads makes no sense at all.

Yes, a hybrid car pollutes. Because it still burns gas. That is why we should have all-electric cars instead. Personally, I look forward to the day I have affordable and efficient solar panels on my home where I can plug in my electric car and once the solar panels have been paid for I can drive using free energy from the sun. Even more so, I look forward to the day when the people that move all our commodities can do so without having to add the cost of fuel to the price of everything we buy at the store. Then they can turn all those gas stations into playgrounds, or coffee shops, or something really useful.

But, WHY does this make you or anyone else so hateful and partisan about it? I'd like to know, because I really don't understand. I would have wanted the same things I do now back when I was a registered Republican.

Who's being hateful? I'm discussing facts here and pointing out liberal hypocrisy. Sorry if you see that as hateful.

Electric cars still pollute, just not on you. Where do you think electricity comes from? 42% comes from burning coal. How's your coal burning car working out for us? Then there's the nasty chemicals in the batteries, all that mining and hazardous waste.

Who's being hateful? I'm discussing facts here and pointing out liberal hypocrisy. Sorry if you see that as hateful.

Electric cars still pollute, just not on you. Where do you think electricity comes from? 42% comes from burning coal. How's your coal burning car working out for us? Then there's the nasty chemicals in the batteries, all that mining and hazardous waste.

It seems to me that you cannot discuss the issue without making everything lib vs con. But, I would be happy to be proven wrong.

Yes, Electric cars using electricity provided by coal burning planets are still a source of pollution, but less so than inefficient internal combustion engines. There are many reasons for this, but many studies have shown that most people have and would charge such electric vehicles mostly during non peak hours when the electric grid is still tasked with producing electricity. IF that were the only way we ever got electricity and everyone got all their electricity that way, THEN some day we would reach a point of diminishing returns. MANY MANY years from now. The data is available to anyone wanting to do a simple google search for it.

BUT... we have other ways to produce electricity going into the grid as well. Hydroelectric, wind power, geothermal, and even nuclear that do not pollute like coal does. Yes, Nuclear does have different issues, but as long as they are running anyway, they might as well make electricity for transportation. Talking about that... Europe has been using electric powered trains far more to move people and good for a long time. Maybe that has something to do with the fact their fuel costs more where oil companies don't get tax subsidies? Ya think? The bottom line is that electric cars (and trains, and buses, and trucks, etc.) pollute less, and therefore cause fewer health and environmental problems - EVEN WHEN they get their electricity from the grid.

BUT... make your own electricity and you really change the dynamic. This is one reason I favor electric over hydrogen or any other fuel (even when it is cleaner than gasoline). Any fuel you must buy from the pump, can and will be price manipulated by the companies and by the speculators. But, own your own solar panels or wind generator or ... and you have now not only helped create a cleaner and more healthy world for yourself and your kids, you have taken control of what you have to pay.

If this has to be political, I would think this is something any libertarians or conservatives should be able to appreciate.

On a related point..Why is it terrible to pay taxes to the government but good to pay higher prices for consuming a product that will in turn cause us to have to pay even more later? How about we just reverse the name of cost and taxes? It would still cost us just as much. dollars are dollars, by whatever name.

It seems to me that you cannot discuss the issue without making everything lib vs con. But, I would be happy to be proven wrong.

Yes, Electric cars using electricity provided by coal burning planets are still a source of pollution, but less so than inefficient internal combustion engines. There are many reasons for this, but many studies have shown that most people have and would charge such electric vehicles mostly during non peak hours when the electric grid is still tasked with producing electricity. IF that were the only way we ever got electricity and everyone got all their electricity that way, THEN some day we would reach a point of diminishing returns. MANY MANY years from now. The data is available to anyone wanting to do a simple google search for it.

BUT... we have other ways to produce electricity going into the grid as well. Hydroelectric, wind power, geothermal, and even nuclear that do not pollute like coal does. Yes, Nuclear does have different issues, but as long as they are running anyway, they might as well make electricity for transportation. Talking about that... Europe has been using electric powered trains far more to move people and good for a long time. Maybe that has something to do with the fact their fuel costs more where oil companies don't get tax subsidies? Ya think? The bottom line is that electric cars (and trains, and buses, and trucks, etc.) pollute less, and therefore cause fewer health and environmental problems - EVEN WHEN they get their electricity from the grid.

BUT... make your own electricity and you really change the dynamic. This is one reason I favor electric over hydrogen or any other fuel (even when it is cleaner than gasoline). Any fuel you must buy from the pump, can and will be price manipulated by the companies and by the speculators. But, own your own solar panels or wind generator or ... and you have now not only helped create a cleaner and more healthy world for yourself and your kids, you have taken control of what you have to pay.

If this has to be political, I would think this is something any libertarians or conservatives should be able to appreciate.

On a related point..Why is it terrible to pay taxes to the government but good to pay higher prices for consuming a product that will in turn cause us to have to pay even more later? How about we just reverse the name of cost and taxes? It would still cost us just as much. dollars are dollars, by whatever name.
Politics is everything. Yes, everything. So it is a lib v conservative issue.

I'm an "all of the above" guy with respect to energy generation and use. Libs ain't, because they fight nukes, fight wind turbines in their neighborhoods, and fight fracking.

Back