Louisiana Requires All Public Classrooms to Display Ten Commandments

We do have that little in god we trust motto... You may have seen it here and there. This is an interesting article... https://www.edweek.org/policy-polit...n-classrooms-violate-the-constitution/2024/06 When I was teaching we had all kinds of different inspirational posters on the wall... Kids were encouraged to design their own and add them.... If there were children of different religious persuasions this is a perfect opportunity to discuss what other cultural and religious differences are out there... I remember that one of the posters that a student designed an art class got plastered all over the school as a matter of fact... it read "Real men don't sag" with an interesting illustration...;)
"In God we trust" is a secular statement!
10 Commandments are from the Old Testament

While the Commandments are religious, they have an undeniable historical meaning. Simply having religious content or promoting a message consistent with a religious doctrine does not run afoul of the Establishment Clause. See, e.g., Lynch v. Donnelly, supra, at 680, 687.

Residents and others challenged the inclusion of the creche as a violation of the First Amendment's Establishment Clause. In a 5-4 decision, the Supreme Court rejected the challenge—ruling that the religious display on public property didn't violate the Constitution because the display also served a secular purpose
So keep it in history classes.

Yes it did.

What does the 1st Amendment say? You tell me. I already know what it says. At least take a gander at the very first word of it (for starters)...

Yes, you are.

Irrelevant. The Federalist Papers are not the Constitution. Stick with what the Constitution says.

You have an overly simplistic understanding of the Constitution and those who wrote it. Much of it is too vague to apply to specific situations and must be interpreted. It is the role of the courts to make that interpretation.

It is a lot of work to keep up with constitutional law, but it is necessary to understand the document and make rational posts on JPP.

“I can’t wait to be sued,” Mr. Landry said on Saturday at a Republican fund-raiser in Nashville, according to The Tennessean. And on Wednesday, as he signed the measure, he argued that the Ten Commandments contained valuable lessons for students.

“If you want to respect the rule of law,” he said, “you’ve got to start from the original law giver, which was Moses.”

Sounds like theocracy.
This is actually insane. People do not need religion to learn how to be good, and American politicians cannot shove their dogma and bias down the throats of public school students.

Kinda self explanatory, Frank. Whatever/whoever your Lord God might be. If you have none, so be it. No one is forcing you to read/look at them.
Bullshit. This is not about loving, knowing, worshipping, or respecting "any" god. This is about shitty Christians virtue signaling to their shitty base voters about the Christian God.

R.e6c23a63270d87bcbe26caecc5115746
It actually is a horror. When Christianity becomes the state's preferred religion, it's easier to discriminate against all other religions. That is the entire point of this hate-mongering, unconstitutional dumbfuckery.

It did not change it.
It can't. That ruling is void.
It simply reaffirmed it unconstitutonal to mandate religious activities in the classroom which was already established law.
No court has any authority to change the Constitution. No court has any authority to interpret the Constitution. It is NOT unconstitutional to mandate religious activities an a classroom. It is NOT 'established law'. The law IS the Constitution, which YOU are ignoring.
I'm not speaking for the dead.
Blatant lie.
I am citing Alexander Hamilton's own words from the Federalist Papers who said judicial review was essential to maintain checks and balances on the government's power. Another book you should read.
Alexander Hamilton is not the Constitution. False authority fallacy.
No court has any authority to change or interpret the Constitution.
You cannot use any book or paper to nullify the Constitution. The Constitution itself IS the ONLY authoritative reference of the Constitution.

Read the 14th amendment which served as the basis for making most of the Bill of Rights applicable to the states. The 14th amendment served as the basis for the change in the Constitution accepted by every liberal and conservative Supreme Court.
The 14th amendment does not nullify the 1st amendment or change it in any way.
The 1st amendment does NOT apply to the States. Nothing in the 14th amendment changes that.

No court has the authority to change the Constitution.

You endlessly repeat the same outdated mantra supported only by you and your puppet socks.
You are describing yourself. You cannot blame YOUR problem on me or anybody else. The Constitution is NOT outdated.
The Constitution is the ONLY authoritative reference of what is in the Constitution.

The 1st amendment does not apply to the States.

They have the power to enforce it!
Christians can't have their religion the State religion
No court has the authority to change the Constitution.

Christians certainly can. The 1st amendment does not apply to the States. Any State may designate a State religion (assuming it's in their own State constitution). If a State wants to designate Christianity as the State religion, IT CAN, and they have before!

Back