O.J. Simpson dies of cancer at age 76

The trial was a legal requirement.

The defense was slick and managed to seat an anti-white, anti-cop, racist jury.

The jury was selected by the defense and the prosecutor. It voted to acquit. I would have voted that way, because the prosecution did not meet the burden for a guilty verdict.

What struggles? Lion attacks, no running water or electricity, disease and famine?
Anyone who doesn’t realize the racism of the 50s and 60s is a fucking moron. Lynchings and murders were still happening. Mostly in the South, but around the nation.

img_20240411_172213-jpg.1545005

Anyone who doesn’t realize the racism of the 50s and 60s is a fucking moron. Lynchings and murders were still happening. Mostly in the South, but around the nation.

All kinds of shit was happening, but it was not all commonplace.

Lynchings had become extremely rare by the late 50's.

Between 1958 and 1968, there were six lynchings in the US, and in two of the six, the victims were white.

Like most other things nowadays, the racism of the 60's gets exaggerated a bit. Yes, it was there under the surface, but it's not like black people couldn't walk down the street anywhere in the country without having to worry about violence against them.

I think Hollywood is responsible for a lot of the misconceptions about virulent racism and lynchings during the 50's and 60's because of the way it was portrayed in movies and TV.

http://law2.umkc.edu/faculty/projects/ftrials/shipp/lynchingyear.html

All kinds of shit was happening, but it was not all commonplace.

Lynchings had become extremely rare by the late 50's.

Between 1958 and 1968, there were six lynchings in the US, and in two of the six, the victims were white.

Like most other things nowadays, the racism of the 60's gets exaggerated a bit. Yes, it was there under the surface, but it's not like black people couldn't walk down the street anywhere in the country without having to worry about violence against them.

I think Hollywood is responsible for a lot of the misconceptions about virulent racism and lynchings during the 50's and 60's because of the way it was portrayed in movies and TV.

http://law2.umkc.edu/faculty/projects/ftrials/shipp/lynchingyear.html
Were the lynched whites civil rights supporters? Jews?

How many lynchings per year is too many, Nomad?

Were the lynched whites civil rights supporters? Jews?

How many lynchings per year is too many, Nomad?

Completely irrelevant and beside the point.

You implied that OJ grew up in a time where black people faced the spectre of lynchings on a significant scale in their daily lives.

I merely pointed out to you that across the entire US over a decade, there were a total of six reported lynchings, with two of them involving white victims.

That plus the likelihood that those six lynchings probably took place in the south, while OJ grew up in liberal San Francisco, pretty much negates it as an excuse for OJ's actions.

Completely irrelevant and beside the point.

You implied that OJ grew up in a time where black people faced the spectre of lynchings on a significant scale in their daily lives.

I merely pointed out to you that across the entire US over a decade, there were a total of six reported lynchings, with two of them involving white victims.

That plus the likelihood that those six lynchings probably took place in the south, while OJ grew up in liberal San Francisco, pretty much negates it as an excuse for OJ's actions.
Only because you dislike it. LOL

No, son. I stated that lynchings happened and it was a more brutal, racist time than now. The fact you are defending Bigdog on this is less than surprising.

And I agreed…then I asked how many lynchings are too many and you backpedaled.

Agreed the lynchings likely took place in the South, but anyone denying racism didn’t permeate areas of SF is a fool. OJ was born in 1947. He was 17 when the 1964 CRA was signed. Tell me he never saw a explicit racism in SF.

That said, facing bigotry is no excuse for murdering innocent people. Murdering racist fuckwits is another matter….but still illegal.

Thus my comment 'OJ wasn't black'.

He never spent a moment of his life experiencing the struggles that black people endure.

By the cultural expectations of the 196Os and 1970s, I think OJ was universally accepted into the Emerald City by white people because he was percieved as good natured, well mannered, non-controversial, and most importantly non-threatening.

While Cassius Clay and Lew Alcindor were popular athletes, in some sense they gave off a vague black nationalist vibe by changing their 'slave names' to Muslim names (Muhammad Ali and Kareem Abdul Jabber), converting to Islam, and in Ali's case, refusing to submit to the military draft and refusing to serve in Vietnam.

Back