OBAMA SPEECH IN FULL: A MORE PERFECT UNION

He did a good job of showing that a few you tube clips is not the measure of a man, and talking about both Wright & the church's background.

I remember a popular t-shirt phrase from awhile back..."It's a black thing; you wouldn't understand." Obama's speech was a real call to white America to, at the very least, stop for a second to consider the black experience in America, and try to understand that it is different from their own.

Did you read the whole thing?

It also beseached the black community to understand the side of white conservatives.

Total Rubbish. He definitely has been criticized for being too loyal. You just don't want to admit his example sucked.

Maybe you can find some CNN fool who “criticized” him for this Damo. But I never did, and that was never coming from the left. The main criticism about bush on this has always been exactly what I stated. You just want to pretend that because you heard something on mid-west state of the yahoo nation today radio, it means that’s what everybody was saying.

That’s rubbish.

In fact, a similar anger exists within segments of the white community. Most working- and middle-class white Americans don’t feel that they have been particularly privileged by their race. Their experience is the immigrant experience – as far as they’re concerned, no one’s handed them anything, they’ve built it from scratch. They’ve worked hard all their lives, many times only to see their jobs shipped overseas or their pension dumped after a lifetime of labor. They are anxious about their futures, and feel their dreams slipping away; in an era of stagnant wages and global competition, opportunity comes to be seen as a zero sum game, in which your dreams come at my expense. So when they are told to bus their children to a school across town; when they hear that an African American is getting an advantage in landing a good job or a spot in a good college because of an injustice that they themselves never committed; when they’re told that their fears about crime in urban neighborhoods are somehow prejudiced, resentment builds over time.

I already said you can believe what you want.

I don't believe for a second, that bush is close, personal, dear friends with Rummy, or most any political appointee. I think Bush does what Bush thinks is in his best interest politically. I don't think it has anything to do with deep personal bonds of friendship. In fact, I think Bush is a psychopath, incapable of normal, unbreakable human empathy and unwavering friendship.

That is exactly what I believe.

Well, my remark was to point out that what you see good in one, is what you see bad in another. A little introspection can do wonders.

Everybody patting each other's backs about how great their hero is for doing what they think sucks in another is silly.

People say "Obama is just speeches," to which I say, "so what?"

I'd rather have what I just saw in my living room for 4 years instead of "nucular" and "evil doer."

In fact, a similar anger exists within segments of the white community. Most working- and middle-class white Americans don’t feel that they have been particularly privileged by their race. Their experience is the immigrant experience – as far as they’re concerned, no one’s handed them anything, they’ve built it from scratch. They’ve worked hard all their lives, many times only to see their jobs shipped overseas or their pension dumped after a lifetime of labor. They are anxious about their futures, and feel their dreams slipping away; in an era of stagnant wages and global competition, opportunity comes to be seen as a zero sum game, in which your dreams come at my expense. So when they are told to bus their children to a school across town; when they hear that an African American is getting an advantage in landing a good job or a spot in a good college because of an injustice that they themselves never committed; when they’re told that their fears about crime in urban neighborhoods are somehow prejudiced, resentment builds over time.

that's good stuff. And smart.

The monied interests in this country have always had a vested interest in stoking the divisions between poor and working class whites, and communities of color. When in fact, in a just society, the issues are economic, from top to bottom - not racial. But, that wouldn't benefit or serve the interests of US of KKKA america, i.e, the powerful monied interests. They'd rather exploit the wedge issues, than see a coaltion of working people come together.

I look forward to watching it. Very good speech to read and I imagine his delivery was up to his standards.

This....

"But the remarks that have caused this recent firestorm weren’t simply controversial. They weren’t simply a religious leader’s effort to speak out against perceived injustice. Instead, they expressed a profoundly distorted view of this country – a view that sees white racism as endemic, and that elevates what is wrong with America above all that we know is right with America; a view that sees the conflicts in the Middle East as rooted primarily in the actions of stalwart allies like Israel, instead of emanating from the perverse and hateful ideologies of radical Islam.

As such, Reverend Wright’s comments were not only wrong but divisive, divisive at a time when we need unity; racially charged at a time when we need to come together to solve a set of monumental problems – two wars, a terrorist threat, a falling economy, a chronic health care crisis and potentially devastating climate change; problems that are neither black or white or Latino or Asian, but rather problems that confront us all."

... should end all controversy as to where Obama stands on what Wright stated.

Last edited:

The monied interests in this country have always had a vested interest in stoking the divisions between poor and working class whites, and communities of color. When in fact, in a just society, the issues are economic, from top to bottom - not racial. But, that wouldn't benefit or serve the interests of US of KKKA america, i.e, the powerful monied interests. They'd rather exploit the wedge issues, than see a coaltion of working people come together.

what is a 'coalition of working people'?

Its the group of Americans who make this economy fucntion and they come in all colors and religions. They are the backbone of this whole freedom experiment and the Paris Hiltons just ride the wave.

I look forward to watching it. Very good speech to read and I imagine his delivery was up to his standards.

This....

"But the remarks that have caused this recent firestorm weren’t simply controversial. They weren’t simply a religious leader’s effort to speak out against perceived injustice. Instead, they expressed a profoundly distorted view of this country – a view that sees white racism as endemic, and that elevates what is wrong with America above all that we know is right with America; a view that sees the conflicts in the Middle East as rooted primarily in the actions of stalwart allies like Israel, instead of emanating from the perverse and hateful ideologies of radical Islam.

As such, Reverend Wright’s comments were not only wrong but divisive, divisive at a time when we need unity; racially charged at a time when we need to come together to solve a set of monumental problems – two wars, a terrorist threat, a falling economy, a chronic health care crisis and potentially devastating climate change; problems that are neither black or white or Latino or Asian, but rather problems that confront us all."

... should end all controversy as to where Obama stands on what Wright stated.
And is EXACTLY what I have been saying about the EXACT SAME remarks.

what is a 'coalition of working people'?

The working poor in the white community, economically disadvantaged blacks, immigrants, etc. Surely you are not unaware of the fact that if these groups were ever to band together and demand collective bargaining power, it would hurt the ruling elites? And surely it has occurred to you that racism, or “that black guy took your job” is what prevents this from happening???

Wow... now Gumby is quoting the racist bullshit from Wright that Obama just condemned.

And is EXACTLY what I have been saying about the EXACT SAME remarks.

No.... you were fearing the angry black man...

You see the above is only understood to be what it is when a black man says it. You are white and thus were simply fearing an angry black man. I should know... because that is exactly why I posted the same types of comments.

A union. But it is a bad word nowadays so they use descriptive phrases.

Nah. Unions never did manage to get all of those together. If they had, they’d be unstoppable.

And to whom is “union” a bad word? Maybe to you and your conservative friends who don’t mind voting for people who call me and mine “Great Whores” because of the religion we choose to practice…but nobody I know believes it’s a bad word.

Or maybe you’re just hoping to make it one…

Nah. Unions never did manage to get all of those together. If they had, they’d be unstoppable.

And to whom is “union” a bad word? Maybe to you and your conservative friends who don’t mind voting for people who call me and mine “Great Whores” because of the religion we choose to practice…but nobody I know believes it’s a bad word.

Or maybe you’re just hoping to make it one…
To the same people who used to use "liberal" but now use "progressive" and used to use "union" but now use "coalition of working people".

Back