On being a blank slate and "free will"

Gee. I might be out of the loop here. What's the problem with Free Will?

First, it is a pretty vague concept that means so many different things it is barely worth debating.

The ancient Greeks, like Plato and Aristotle, never discuss the concept.

It grew out of Christian theology to explain that God is the cause of good and because of free will humans choose not to do the good.

First, it is a pretty vague concept that means so many different things it is barely worth debating.

The ancient Greeks, like Plato and Aristotle, never discuss the concept.

It grew out of Christian theology to explain that God is the cause of good and because of free will humans choose not to do the good.

Whether there is any 'God/Gods' doesn't have anything to do with having a Free Will to make choices.

I think it only has to do with God.

Right wingers think Big Bad Government is like God imposing its will. Same thing.

Well, Praise be to Jesus, I'm not afflicted with Religious indoctrination and can only understand it's meaning by how the Dictionary describes it.

I think he is going beyond that? I might be wrong. I came in a little late here.
I was referring to your amusement over my trump remark.

I don't believe DNA accounts for as much in human behavior as the sum of our experiences does.

I don't get too far into the weeds with this topic. It becomes fodder for millions of keystrokes that go nowhere.

For instance, it is possible to control what you think. More specifically, what you focus on. Random fleeting thoughts are easily dismissed if you desire a positive attitude. So sure...we might not be able to control everything that enters our brain, but we can certainly control that which we dwell on.

Most of the time it doesn't carry real world consequences if we have a fleeting thought, but it did in Ghostbusters.

What dictionary definition?

Jesus, do I have to post everything twice around here?

"Free will is the capacity of agents to choose between different possible courses of action unimpeded. Free will is closely linked to the concepts of moral responsibility, praise, culpability, sin, and other judgements which apply only to actions that are freely chosen. Wikipedia"

Jesus, do I have to post everything twice around here?

"Free will is the capacity of agents to choose between different possible courses of action unimpeded. Free will is closely linked to the concepts of moral responsibility, praise, culpability, sin, and other judgements which apply only to actions that are freely chosen. Wikipedia"

"moral responsibility, praise, culpability, sin," religious concepts.

"moral responsibility, praise, culpability, sin," religious concepts.

Morality and Ethics are 'religious concepts'?

"In terms of where ethics come from, they come from society and the collective beliefs and values of its citizens. But, more specifically, ethics also come from those individuals willing to make difficult choices and think about big questions: good and bad, right and wrong."
https://pagecentertraining.psu.edu

Do me a Favor, BP. STOP listening to Cypress! Everything in the fucking world comes from Jesus in his brain.

:smh:

Morality and Ethics are 'religious concepts'?

"In terms of where ethics come from, they come from society and the collective beliefs and values of its citizens. But, more specifically, ethics also come from those individuals willing to make difficult choices and think about big questions: good and bad, right and wrong."
https://pagecentertraining.psu.edu

Do me a Favor, BP. STOP listening to Cypress! Everything in the fucking world comes from Jesus in his brain.

:smh:

insults end discussion. as does posting stupid pictures

insults end discussion. as does posting stupid pictures

(I was trying to bring a bit of levity here, sorry you missed it) :(

"Secular humanism posits that human beings are capable of being ethical and moral without religion or belief in a deity. It does not, however, assume that humans are either inherently good or evil, nor does it present humans as being superior to nature."
https://en.wikipedia.org › wiki › Secular_humanism

I've got to go rake some leaves and burn them before it rains. Maybe you can get some clarification about what Zen is saying here? Talk to you Later.

Back