Once you eliminate the impossible...

I refuted the other one.

How about you. Care to talk about the etymology of the words "atheist" and "atheism?"

You started this BS by complaining that Atheist is not a Latin word. It is, indeed, a word used in Latin. Just as there are many words included in English that came from some other language. It's still English. And Atheist is still Latin. Now STFU.

You started this BS by complaining that Atheist is not a Latin word. It is, indeed, a word used in Latin. Just as there are many words included in English that came from some other language. It's still English. And Atheist is still Latin. Now STFU.

in what post number did he do that?

You started this BS by complaining that Atheist is not a Latin word.

Yes, and I was correct. It is an English word.

It is, indeed, a word used in Latin.

No...it is not used in Latin. And it does not derive from Latin.

Just as there are many words included in English that came from some other language. It's still English. And Atheist is still Latin. Now STFU.

Atheist and atheism comes from the Greek...through the French. I've shown that...and dared you to show otherwise.

You can't.

And as I expected, you are not adult enough to simply acknowledge that you cannot.

So now we go to the "STFU" kind of thing a child might say in a playground.

I'm laughing at you, Ugly...not with you.

Yes, and I was correct. It is an English word.

No...it is not used in Latin. And it does not derive from Latin.

Atheist and atheism comes from the Greek...through the French. I've shown that...and dared you to show otherwise.

You can't.

And as I expected, you are not adult enough to simply acknowledge that you cannot.

So now we go to the "STFU" kind of thing a child might say in a playground.

I'm laughing at you, Ugly...not with you.

Guess what, dipshitzky? There is a Latin dictionary online. I typed in Atheos. This is what I got.

ăthĕŏs
masculine noun II declension

View the declension of this word

atheist, one who does not believe in God
Any questions?

Guess what, dipshitzky? There is a Latin dictionary online. I typed in Atheos. This is what I got.

ăthĕŏs
masculine noun II declension

View the declension of this word

atheist, one who does not believe in God
Any questions?

Yeah...that is what atheos means in Latin.

That does not mean that the word "atheist" is a Latin word...

...and the English word "atheist"...DOES NOT DERIVE FROM LATIN.

You cannot show that the English word "atheist" derives from LATIN...BECAUSE IT DOESN'T.

Give it up. Show a little self-respect and dignity.

And if you want to show that you have very little class by starting that name-calling crap that so many children in this forum do...be my guest. It's going to be laughed at by me.

This thing we humans call "the universe"...may not be THE UNIVERSE. It is only the part we know about. Go back 100 years...and scientists did NOT KNOW that other galaxies existed. They thought "the universe" was our galaxy...the stuff we could see. We do not know if THE UNIVERSE had a beginning.

Most learned people refer to it as the Big Bang. And it refers to the (theoretical) start of the part of THE UNIVERSE that we puny humans on this nondescript planet circling a fairly common, unremarkable star know about at the moment. We humans may know as much about THE UNIVERSE as an ant in the backyard knows about our galaxy.

You are saying it is impossible...but it MAY BE POSSIBLE for something to create itself. But it also is possible that THE UNIVERSE was not created...by itself or by a god or by anything else.

IT MAY ALWAYS HAVE EXISTED.

You are not offering FACTS...you are offering assertions.

Obviously many scientists disagree with you...or, people like Albert Einstein, Richard Feynman, and Stephen Hawking would not have been atheists and agnostics.

Open your mind. I have refuted your arguments...which are NOT facts.

That is what scientists and logicians do, Ugly...they suppose things...and they do not settle on an answer unless all the other things are shown to be impossible. Look at the title of your thread!

IT IS POSSIBLE THAT THE UNIVERSE ALWAYS EXISTED...AND ALWAYS WILL. IT IS POSSIBLE IT WAS NOT CREATED AT ALL.

you have some odd beliefs for someone who has no beliefs.......

if one does not deny the existence of deity one is not an atheist......

What does that have to do with what is being discussed?

But in a way...I sorta agree with you...although I am sure there are many atheists here who would not.

Some atheists (especially the ones who post on the Internet in these forums) claim they are not denying the existence of a deity...but are merely asserting that they do not "believe" one exists. (That is not the same as asserting that one does not exist.)

I am someone who does not "believe" a deity exists...but I am not an atheist.

I also do not "believe" there are no gods.

I simply do not do have a belief in either direction on the question.

As I said, however, that is not what was being discussed.

Back