I believe in love and I live my life accordingly
But I choose to let the mystery be

… Everybody is wondering what and where they all came from
Everybody is worrying 'bout
Where they're gonna go when the whole thing's done
But no one knows for certain and so it's all the same to me
I think I'll just let the mystery be

… I think I'll just let the mystery be

but really the focus of jesus was how to treat each other.

is morality important or not important?

Bart Ehrman
John Dominic Crossan - Irish Catholic, former priest
Karen Armstrong - former nun, Mystic Catholic
Elaine Pagel - Professor of Religious Studies at Princeton

I recently discovered Robert Funk

That's awesome!

I haven't heard of a couple of those

If you need a label, I’m probably an agnostic. I’m mostly like Iris DeMint’s

Let the Mystery Be

Everybody is wondering what and where they all came from

… Some say once you're gone you're gone forever
And some say you're gonna come back
Some say you rest in the arms of the Savior if in sinful ways you lack
Some say that they're coming back in a garden
Bunch of carrots and little sweet peas

… Some say they're going to a place called glory
And I ain't saying it ain't a fact
But I've heard that I'm on the road to purgatory
And I don't like the sound of that
I believe in love and I live my life accordingly
But I choose to let the mystery be

… I think I'll just let the mystery be

People are free to believe whatever they want. What they are not free to do is jam those beliefs down the throats of others regardless of their spiritual preferences.

yes. like i said... you're very dumb.

thanks for the proof.

Cypress is correct. You are wrong.

There were no Protestants until Martin Luther, founder of the very first Protestant sect called (wait for it!) "Lutheranism" and father of the Reformation. That was in October of 1517. Before that time, the only Christians were Roman Catholics and Eastern Orthodox Catholic.

What Forms of Christianity Existed Before The Reformation?

In the early 4th century the Roman Emperor Constantine legalized Christianity, which up till then had been illegal in the Roman Empire. Constantine also decided that the Roman Empire was too big to govern from a single capital, Rome, so he founded another capital further east and named if after himself: Constantinople (“Constantine City”; present-day Istanbul). Soon enough, the Roman Empire started to split into two: the Western Empire, governed from Rome, with Latin as its native language, and the Eastern Empire, governed from Constantinople, with Greek as its native language.

In A.D. 476 the Western Empire collapsed, leaving only barbarian tribes, and the Pope in Rome as its spiritual head. The Eastern Roman Empire continued to flourish, with the Eastern Roman Emperor as its temporal head and the Patriarch of Constantinople as its spiritual head. In A.D. 1056 the estrangement and incomprehension (they spoke two different languages) between the Western and the Eastern Church grew so great that they excommunicated each other. Thus from A.D. 1056 until 1517 (Martin Luther) there were (at least) two Christian churches: the Roman Catholic Church in the West, with Latin as its main language, and the Eastern Orthodox Church in the East, with Greek as its main language.

Last edited:
Cypress is correct. You are wrong.

There were no Protestants until Martin Luther, founder of the very first Protestant sect called (wait for it!) "Lutheranism" and father of the Reformation. That was in October of 1517. Before that time, the only Christians were Roman Catholics and Eastern Orthodox Catholic.

What Forms of Christianity Existed Before The Reformation?

In the early 4th century the Roman Emperor Constantine legalized Christianity, which up till then had been illegal in the Roman Empire. Constantine also decided that the Roman Empire was too big to govern from a single capital, Rome, so he founded another capital further east and named if after himself: Constantinople (“Constantine City”; present-day Istanbul). Soon enough, the Roman Empire started to split into two: the Western Empire, governed from Rome, with Latin as its native language, and the Eastern Empire, governed from Constantinople, with Greek as its native language.

In A.D. 476 the Western Empire collapsed, leaving only barbarian tribes, and the Pope in Rome as its spiritual head. The Eastern Roman Empire continued to flourish, with the Eastern Roman Emperor as its temporal head and the Patriarch of Constantinople as its spiritual head. In A.D. 1056 the estrangement and incomprehension (they spoke two different languages) between the Western and the Eastern Church grew so great that they excommunicated each other. Thus from A.D. 1056 until 1517 (Martin Luther) there were (at least) two Christian churches: the Roman Catholic Church in the West, with Latin as its main language, and the Eastern Orthodox Church in the East, with Greek as its main language.

do you think the catholic church was the only christianity at one point?

you're dumb too.

IMO, Jesus didn't feel that way, but agreed all the ex-Jews, ex-tax collectors and ex-heathens in the early Christian church were just as misogynistic as their male contemporaries.

The virgin Mary thing among Catholics is interesting. Could it be they elevated the mother of Jesus so as to devalue Mary Magdelene's importance to Jesus?

Agreed on Western patriarchies...which continues to this day albeit times they are a-changin'. Cue Bob Dylan. :thup:

Mary Magdalene is considered a Saint in the Roman Catholic and Eastern Orthodox traditions, and she is prominently featured in the Gospels, so I don't think she is getting short shifted. She is a key player in Jesus' ministry. I'm not sure about this, but in Catholic and Orthodox traditions, the Virgin Mary seems to be almost closer to God than the other saints and apostles. I'm guessing the immaculate conception and being Mother of God places her slightly above the mere mortals.

Mary Magdalene is considered a Saint in the Roman Catholic and Eastern Orthodox traditions, and she is prominently featured in the Gospels, so I don't think she is getting short shifted. I'm not sure about this, but in Catholic and Orthodox traditions, the Virgin Mary seems to be almost closer to God than the other saints and apostles. I'm guessing the immaculate conception and being Mother of God places her slightly above the mere mortals.

but isn't this all idolatry?

Mary Magdalene is considered a Saint in the Roman Catholic and Eastern Orthodox traditions, and she is prominently featured in the Gospels, so I don't think she is getting short shifted. She is a key player in Jesus' ministry. I'm not sure about this, but in Catholic and Orthodox traditions, the Virgin Mary seems to be almost closer to God than the other saints and apostles. I'm guessing the immaculate conception and being Mother of God places her slightly above the mere mortals.
Pope Gregory the First labeled her a whore. There are more statues and icons to the Madonna than Mary Magdelene.

Seems to me like a violation of "Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image" commandment.

Back