Onward Christian soldiers

Exactly. Notice that the kept the ones assigning women second class status, except of course for "Virgin" Mary. :rolleyes:

Agreed. I strongly doubt Jesus was a misogynist but those who came after him certainly were. In fact, there's a good argument to be made that Mary Magdelene, who Pope Gregory turned into a whore, was the #1 Apostle.

If only Fredo would let you do some brain surgery on him....with a spork. You could let the demons out of his head. :thup:

It's gonna take more than salt, sage, and brain surgery to cure that one. He used to be relatively coherent.

At any rate, it would be pretty difficult to claim to be some Bible expert unless you are fluent in all the languages that it was written in.

Agreed. I strongly doubt Jesus was a misogynist but those who came after him certainly were. In fact, there's a good argument to be made that Mary Magdelene, who Pope Gregory turned into a whore, was the #1 Apostle.

We wouldn't want any uppity woman elevated to equal status with the "real" apostles, would we?

It's gonna take more than salt, sage, and brain surgery to cure that one. He used to be relatively coherent.

At any rate, it would be pretty difficult to claim to be some Bible expert unless you are fluent in all the languages that it was written in.

A lobotomy may be best for everyone. :thup:

Agreed.

It was a message embraced by the soldiers, woman and poor, it was Paul’s form of Christianity that ignited the faithful, it was a message of equality and forgiveness. Paul’s message was very different from Jesus’
I think you're right
There was a second century Greek philosopher, I forget his name, who mocked Christianity as being a religion of slaves and women.d

Recent theories have Mark as an anonymous writer and the work was ascribed to him at a later time to give the gospel authority. Bart Erhman being one of those scholars if you wish to research.

You're right
There's no proof who wrote them, and Ehrman and a lot of scholars are skeptical of the religious traditions on the authors of the Gospels. Rightly so.

To me it's a fun little historical mystery

The Second Century Bishop Papias, who lived only a few decades after the Gospels were authored, is reputed to have said John the Presbyter told him that Mark, a companion of Peter, wrote down what he heard from Peter. Though even this hardly qualifies as proof.

On the Gospel of Mark, Papias cites John the Elder:

The Elder used to say: Mark, in his capacity as Peter’s interpreter, wrote down accurately as many things as he recalled from memory—though not in an ordered form—of the things either said or done by the Lord. For he neither heard the Lord nor accompanied him, but later, as I said, Peter, who used to give his teachings in the form of chreiai,[note 1] but had no intention of providing an ordered arrangement of the logia of the Lord. Consequently Mark did nothing wrong when he wrote down some individual items just as he related them from memory. For he made it his one concern not to omit anything he had heard or to falsify anything.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pap...n Mark, Papias cites John,or done by the Lord.

Exactly. Notice that the kept the ones assigning women second class status, except of course for "Virgin" Mary. :rolleyes:

Obviously, early Christianity didn't allow women priests or deacons, and patriarchy was just as entrenched as it was in medieval Judaism and Islam.

But the Gospel literature is sorta unique in ancient Mediterranean literature in that women are featured and play significant roles by the standards of the time. The female martyrs and saints of early Christianity were highly esteemed. And in the Orthodox church, the virgin Mary is more highly revered than any of the apostles.

But if any scholars did a study on which Medieval religion was more patriarchal, Judaism, Christianity, or Islam, none of them would come out looking good by 21st century standards.

Obviously, early Christianity didn't allow women priests or deacons, and patriarchy was just as entrenched as it was in medieval Judaism and Islam.

But the Gospel literature is sorta unique in ancient Mediterranean literature in that women are featured and play significant roles by the standards of the time. The female martyrs and saints of early Christianity were highly esteemed. And in the Orthodox church, the virgin Mary is more highly revered than any of the apostles.

But if any scholars did a study on which Medieval religion was more patriarchal, Judaism, Christianity, or Islam, none of them would come out looking good by 21st century standards.

but you think christainity is synonymous with the catholic church.

so youre very dumb.

I think you're right
There was a second century Greek philosopher, I forget his name, who mocked Christianity as being a religion of slaves and women.d
I don’t remember a Greek, but I seem to recall Nietzsche having a similar thought.

Back