Onward Christian soldiers

yes. you people only pull your thoughts from critics of christianity. and even fake critics of christianity.
I was a practicing Christian for 40 years. I study those who are academics, many of whom are Christians themselves. So, you are once, again, wrong.

Obviously, early Christianity didn't allow women priests or deacons, and patriarchy was just as entrenched as it was in medieval Judaism and Islam.

But the Gospel literature is sorta unique in ancient Mediterranean literature in that women are featured and play significant roles by the standards of the time. The female martyrs and saints of early Christianity were highly esteemed. And in the Orthodox church, the virgin Mary is more highly revered than any of the apostles.

But if any scholars did a study on which Medieval religion was more patriarchal, Judaism, Christianity, or Islam, none of them would come out looking good by 21st century standards.
IMO, Jesus didn't feel that way, but agreed all the ex-Jews, ex-tax collectors and ex-heathens in the early Christian church were just as misogynistic as their male contemporaries.

The virgin Mary thing among Catholics is interesting. Could it be they elevated the mother of Jesus so as to devalue Mary Magdelene's importance to Jesus?

Agreed on Western patriarchies...which continues to this day albeit times they are a-changin'. Cue Bob Dylan. :thup:

yes. you people only pull your thoughts from critics of christianity. and even fake critics of christianity.

Given your track record in this thread, you don't seem to know much about Christianity.

I entertain all erudite mainstream perspectives and feel no obligation to play on a team.

My three favorite religious scholars are:

Bart Ehrman - agnostic
Luke Timothy Johnson -- Benedictine monk
Phillip Carey - Protestant theologian

Education
Are you an atheist now or an agnostic?

I kinda went the other way; began as an atheist at 16 then, after a major bump on the head, realized that there might be more to existence than meets the eye.

No doubt you and I can agree that no one on the planet knows what's on the other side of Death's Door nor does anyone have a monopoly on knowing anything beyond the physical.

Given your track record in this thread, you don't seem to know much about Christianity.

I entertain all erudite mainstream perspectives and feel no obligation to play on a team.

Bart Ehrman - agnostic

you still can't understand clear meanings.

you've lost a lot of time in your spiritual journey.

I kinda went the other way; began as an atheist at 16 then, after a major bump on the head, realized that there might be more to existence than meets the eye.

No doubt you and I can agree that no one on the planet knows what's on the other side of Death's Door nor does anyone have a monopoly on knowing anything beyond the physical.

you might as well not bother with spiritual thoughts then.

go be an animal.

you're not smart.

I like:
Bart Ehrman - agnostic
Bart Ehrman
John Dominic Crossan - Irish Catholic, former priest
Karen Armstrong - former nun, Mystic Catholic
Elaine Pagel - Professor of Religious Studies at Princeton

I recently discovered Robert Funk

If you need a label, I’m probably an agnostic. I’m mostly like Iris DeMint’s

Let the Mystery Be

Everybody is wondering what and where they all came from
Everybody is worrying 'bout
Where they're gonna go when the whole thing's done
But no one knows for certain and so it's all the same to me
I think I'll just let the mystery be

… Some say once you're gone you're gone forever
And some say you're gonna come back
Some say you rest in the arms of the Savior if in sinful ways you lack
Some say that they're coming back in a garden
Bunch of carrots and little sweet peas