Partisan Summer Camp? Would you send your kids?

So if some dumb hick straps on skis and goes down a mountain with no snow or ice, that is still skiing to you?

Come on out sometime, I'll take you up to Vail or Steamboat and then you can tell me how what you do in the east is 'skiing'

Yes, as a matter of fact it is. It's called "grass skiing" and they do it at Bryce Resort, VA. There's a gal who used to coach there who's in her early 30's and competes in the Master's circuit in USSA. She's been featured in their magazine grass skiing. Personally I don't think I'd survive it, but she has thigh muscles that end half way up her waist. Nor is she a "dumb hick" as you western snobs like to call anyone whom isn't your neighbor.

I have not been to Vail. The last time I was in Summit County my week pass included it but I was having too much fun walking across the street from my rented condo to Breck. We also did A-Basin and Keystone that week.

My son spent a week at Steamboat after our race season this year. I was here in the Appalachians at our base mountain on that Monday, and I sent him a text in the morning that I beat his speed record of 55mph to 58. He was in powder that day and finally on Wednesday sent me back his new record: 68. An hour later he sent me this picture from Heavenly Daze:

Speedrecord.jpg

Next season we plan on a road trip together, again after race season is over. Folks I know drive up to A-Basin, and maybe we can have lunch there and take a few runs. :good4u:

What the heck? Would you send your kids to a republican/democrat/libertarian/communist party summer camp?

Who has even heard of these?

While hearing about the horrific tragedy in Norway, I couldn't help but realize that these kids went to a summer camp for a specific political party. Who here would send their kids to indoctrination camp?

I got news for you Damo.....what do you think the boy scouts are? I'm not being judgemental. Hell I was a boy scout and I loved scouting when i was a kid but the honest to gods truth is that they are a para-military organization who's primary purpose is to indoctrinate young boys about military service and to prepare them for same when they are older.

I got news for you Damo.....what do you think the boy scouts are? I'm not being judgemental. Hell I was a boy scout and I loved scouting when i was a kid but the honest to gods truth is that they are a para-military organization who's primary purpose is to indoctrinate young boys about military service and to prepare them for same when they are older.

Total bullshit.

Total bullshit.
Really? Explain the uniforms then, explain all the medals and awards, explain the salute and the oaths of allegiance. Explain why we learned how to march as a unit and to do parade ground manuevers. Explain to me why we learned how to bivouc, and orienteering and how to build a camp and be self sufficient out in the field and how to follow orders. Explain to me why we did all that hiking and marching together with all that gear on our backs and then explain to me why we learned how to properly and safely use and maintain a fire arm and then come back and explain to me that it's total bull shit that the boy scouts are a para-military organization.

Look, you can bury your head in right wing never, never land and ignore facts and reality. A significant, if not primary, purpose of the Boy Scouts is the prepare young boys for military service when they become young men and I for one see absolutely nothing wrong with that. Military service is something young boys/men should be prepared for.

Then again....I forget that right wing Repelicans like you have "other priorities" then serving our nation, when called upon, in times of war.

Last edited:
So if some dumb hick straps on skis and goes down a mountain with no snow or ice, that is still skiing to you?

Come on out sometime, I'll take you up to Vail or Steamboat and then you can tell me how what you do in the east is 'skiing'

No kidding!

I grew up skiing in Colorado and when I moved to Oregon in the mid 80's I thought I'd like to try skiing on Mt Hood.

Rock hard sheets of solid ice in the A.M. until the sun hit it. As the day wore on, the "snow" proceeded to melt into something with the consistency of a 7-11 slurpie which meant any falls were accompanied by an instant soaking through of every article of clothing to come into contact with the "snow". At the end of the day, the semi-frozen "snow" re-freezes, and razor sharp ridges of ice form, waiting to cut into skiiers caught unawares the next morning.

No...it's not "snobbery" to point out that what people in New England and the Pacific Northwest ski on isn't snow.

It's just the truth.

True, but the Military is not a political party. Nor is 4H. Would you purposefully send your kids to say, Democratic Party Camp?

True, but the Military is not a political party. Nor is 4H. Would you purposefully send your kids to say, Democratic Party Camp?
No, but I wouldn't send them to Church camp either. It all depends on what your values are I guess. The fact is Damo is that most "Camps for kids" are indoctrinating the kids about one thing or the other that the adults running the camp have a vested interest in.

No kidding!

I grew up skiing in Colorado and when I moved to Oregon in the mid 80's I thought I'd like to try skiing on Mt Hood.

Rock hard sheets of solid ice in the A.M. until the sun hit it. As the day wore on, the "snow" proceeded to melt into something with the consistency of a 7-11 slurpie which meant any falls were accompanied by an instant soaking through of every article of clothing to come into contact with the "snow". At the end of the day, the semi-frozen "snow" re-freezes, and razor sharp ridges of ice form, waiting to cut into skiiers caught unawares the next morning.

No...it's not "snobbery" to point out that what people in New England and the Pacific Northwest ski on isn't snow.

It's just the truth.

Absolutely. I've skiied in California, in Vermont, New York, New Mexico, Utah, Colorado, Montana...

And the best skiing is absolutely in the Rockies. Only fools think it is all "Champagne Powder", and only those who haven't had the chance to ski there think it would be either "unchallenging" or easy... Colorado and Montana were the best, New Mexico and Utah close following.... California would be next, but the reality is it isn't even close to as sweet as in Colorado and the Least Coast has "challenging" snow/not snow/ice and short hills... just being challenging doesn't make it good skiing.

No, but I wouldn't send them to Church camp either. It all depends on what your values are I guess. The fact is Damo is that most "Camps for kids" are indoctrinating the kids about one thing or the other that the adults running the camp have a vested interest in.

I have no problem with kids learning a skill, art camp, space camp, swimming camp, wrestling camp... But when it comes to telling them what they must think rather than teaching them to think it creeps me out.

I have no problem with kids learning a skill, art camp, space camp, swimming camp, wrestling camp... But when it comes to telling them what they must think rather than teaching them to think it creeps me out.
I agree, it creeps me out too but there's a whole lot of it going on and not just in politics, which is my point.

Really? Explain the uniforms then, explain all the medals and awards, explain the salute and the oaths of allegiance. Explain why we learned how to march as a unit and to do parade ground manuevers. Explain to me why we learned how to bivouc, and orienteering and how to build a camp and be self sufficient out in the field and how to follow orders. Explain to me why we did all that hiking and marching together with all that gear on our backs and then explain to me why we learned how to properly and safely use and maintain a fire arm and then come back and explain to me that it's total bull shit that the boy scouts are a para-military organization.

Look, you can bury your head in right wing never, never land and ignore facts and reality. A significant, if not primary, purpose of the Boy Scouts is the prepare young boys for military service when they become young men and I for one see absolutely nothing wrong with that. Military service is something young boys/men should be prepared for.

Then again....I forget that right wing Repelicans like you have "other priorities" then serving our nation, when called upon, in times of war.

My son's troop never marched or did parade ground maneuvers, and the only time they wore uniforms was during summer camp dinners and awards ceremonies. All that other stuff is to instill discipline and self confidence, and as I told my scouts: "what guys need to know but they don't teach you in school". Show me in the scout handbook where the word "military" is even mentioned.

Not only all of that Mott, but you actually get a higher rank if you happen to achieve Eagle Scout and join the military as an Enlisted member...

Not only all of that Mott, but you actually get a higher rank if you happen to achieve Eagle Scout and join the military as an Enlisted member...
that's true you do. I know an aquantance who was a DI in the Army and said that kids with a boy scouts back ground were better prepared for boot camp then the general population was. Considering my experience in scouting I believe that. Most of our Scout Masters had military experience but then again back when I was a kid most men had military experience. Now they are a serious minority.

Last edited:
My son's troop never marched or did parade ground maneuvers, and the only time they wore uniforms was during summer camp dinners and awards ceremonies. All that other stuff is to instill discipline and self confidence, and as I told my scouts: "what guys need to know but they don't teach you in school". Show me in the scout handbook where the word "military" is even mentioned.
It may be that the Boy Scouts today is less military oriented then back when I was a scout when no bones was made about it. Boy Scouts was meant to prepare you for military service. All the stuff that I described was pretty standard fair back when I was a kid. Be that as it may, only a moron can't see the connection between the BSA and the military.

It may be that the Boy Scouts today is less military oriented then back when I was a scout when no bones was made about it. Boy Scouts was meant to prepare you for military service. All the stuff that I described was pretty standard fair back when I was a kid. Be that as it may, only a moron can't see the connection between the BSA and the military.
Only a moron would insist that there is a connection in spite of the stated purpose of the organization. Sure, Eagles are better prepared for military service then the general population. They are better prepared for a lot of things. It's a resume enhancement for just about any job out there. Less than 5% who join up make that rank.

Absolutely. I've skiied in California, in Vermont, New York, New Mexico, Utah, Colorado, Montana...

And the best skiing is absolutely in the Rockies. Only fools think it is all "Champagne Powder", and only those who haven't had the chance to ski there think it would be either "unchallenging" or easy... Colorado and Montana were the best, New Mexico and Utah close following.... California would be next, but the reality is it isn't even close to as sweet as in Colorado and the Least Coast has "challenging" snow/not snow/ice and short hills... just being challenging doesn't make it good skiing.

They ski down "hills" on the east coast..we Coloradoans ski down MOUNTAINS!

Back