Powell endorses Obama

Also everyone lets not act like Colin Powell is part of some staunch bedrock of American Conservatism. I mean get real . . .

Also everyone lets not act like Colin Powell is part of some staunch bedrock of American Conservatism. I mean get real . . .

I don't think that is the point but I also don't see why the pundits are making such a big deal out of it. They are saying it is important but do people really vote based on endorsements?

Yes lets now start to deconstruct his republican creds now. This endorsement should have been a cinch for McCain. And your right, being this deliberate in your decision making really isn't very typical of modern American Conservatism.

Yes lets now start to deconstruct his republican creds now. This endorsement should have been a cinch for McCain. And your right, being this deliberate in your decision making really isn't very typical of modern American Conservatism.

no retard. be honest for a change. Colin Powell was by far the most liberal member of the bush administration, and he's been a pretty middle of the road guy for sometime. you are being COMPLETELY intellectually dishonest to suggest that colin powell is this staunch conservative.

no retard. be honest for a change. Colin Powell was by far the most liberal member of the bush administration, and he's been a pretty middle of the road guy for sometime. you are being COMPLETELY intellectually dishonest to suggest that colin powell is this staunch conservative.
No I am not and if you read above you will see I have described Powell as a moderate. But I can understand how a modern conservative could see that as being a lib-er-ul. But he was a HIGHLY respected member of his party until today. He will ultimately change his party affiliation because conservatives will begin to bad mouth him and ultimately he will end up on the 5 dollar denomination of Obama bucks.

Conservatives were skeptical of Powell from Day 1. Many didn't want Bush to have him in his cabinet originally.

I like Powell and always have but I agree with being clear on where he stood with Republican 'conservatives'. He's a moderate Republican and always has been. He's never been a social conservative. I too don't see the big deal with endorsements either but more surprising endorsements will always recieve attention like Powell's or like Lieberman's etc.

And the really funny thing is if Powell had endorsed McCain today conservatives would talk about how he truly evaluated both candidates and chose experience over hope.

No I am not and if you read above you will see I have described Powell as a moderate. But I can understand how a modern conservative could see that as being a lib-er-ul. But he was a HIGHLY respected member of his party until today. He will ultimately change his party affiliation because conservatives will begin to bad mouth him and ultimately he will end up on the 5 dollar denomination of Obama bucks.

Who will he change his party to, Independent or Democrat? We can go back to 2002 and 2003 to see what Democrats had to say about him and his character and integrity after backing Bush's decision to go to war.

And the really funny thing is if Powell had endorsed McCain today conservatives would talk about how he truly evaluated both candidates and chose experience over hope.

no that would not happen. your hyperbole is getting ridiculous.

Also try to differentiate between talking points and actual thoughts on a manner.

I can only speak for myself but I would give two sh*ts if Powell backed McCain. A Republican backing a Republican is hardly newsworthy imho. It's when people support someone not in their party that news is made.

Who will he change his party to, Independent or Democrat? We can go back to 2002 and 2003 to see what Democrats had to say about him and his character and integrity after backing Bush's decision to go to war.
Obviously that had little impact on his decision today. This is the equivilent of an Eisenhower coming out in 60 and endorsing Kennedy. This was a hard blow against the republican party rather than McCain. I think that had McCain stood up to his party and the mouthbreathers at the Rallies Powell would have at worst stood silent. But after watching the last few weeks of "he's an Ay-rab." "He's a Moslem" He's a Terrorist Powell could NOT sit by. Republicans brought this on themselves. But you guys keep deluding yourself that this endorsement will have no effect.

Obviously that had little impact on his decision today. This is the equivilent of an Eisenhower coming out in 60 and endorsing Kennedy. This was a hard blow against the republican party rather than McCain. I think that had McCain stood up to his party and the mouthbreathers at the Rallies Powell would have at worst stood silent. But after watching the last few weeks of "he's an Ay-rab." "He's a Moslem" He's a Terrorist Powell could NOT sit by. Republicans brought this on themselves. But you guys keep deluding yourself that this endorsement will have no effect.

I have no idea what role it will play. Maybe it will put the nail in McCain's coffin. All I said was if he endorsed McCain it wouldn't mean anything. People from one party endorsing someone else makes news.

And does the fact that Powell endorsed Obama now mean that he's a Democrat?

I have no idea what role it will play. Maybe it will put the nail in McCain's coffin. All I said was if he endorsed McCain it wouldn't mean anything. People from one party endorsing someone else makes news.

And does the fact that Powell endorsed Obama now mean that he's a Democrat?
Nope just a thinking man. And if you watched the endorsement on Meet the Press he went through his decision making process. Even if he had endorsed McCain I would have known he actually THOUGHT about it. Your party would do well with about 10 million more just like him. If he had run for president I would have voted for him. I have always said I would vote for him. But he is too black and too moderate to every win republican primaries

"And does the fact that Powell endorsed Obama now mean that he's a Democrat?"

No more than it does for conservatives like Buckley & Sullivan. Bush & the GOP abandoned them; the latter 2 in particular are still conservative.

They are supporting Obama outside of ideology, because the see him as a transformational figure, and see in him an intelligent leader who will use wise judgment, among other qualities. If neither party is going to be conservative, why not?

Nope just a thinking man. And if you watched the endorsement on Meet the Press he went through his decision making process. Even if he had endorsed McCain I would have known he actually THOUGHT about it. Your party would do well with about 10 million more just like him. If he had run for president I would have voted for him. I have always said I would vote for him. But he is too black and too moderate to every win republican primaries

'Powell is too black to win a Republican primary'? I'd argue strongly with you on that one. He may too socially moderate as far some social conservatives go but that's not about race.

Back