Prove to me that God doesn’t exist

Depends on what the Ms stand for

Mars and Murrie.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/M&M's#1940–70s:_Beginnings
The two 'M's represent the names of Forrest E. Mars Sr., the founder of Newark Company, and Bruce Murrie, son of Hershey Chocolate's president William F. R. Murrie, who had a 20 percent share in the product. The arrangement allowed the candies to be made with Hershey chocolate, as Hershey had control of the rationed chocolate at the time.[

Faith, and religions are based upon faith, which, by its very nature, is irrational. The psych quote below draws a clear line between reality and irrationality. People who ignore facts are irrational..or simply stupid.

I believe in a greater existence beyond this physical one and see no conflict in sticking to the rules inside this one for the duration of my stay. Studying the Universe should be considered divine work and not in conflict with religious people using their brains.

https://www.oxfordreference.com/dis...2;jsessionid=8E4AA20A6C86075324E07A6EB2112F3B
If you talk to God, you are praying; if God talks to you, you have schizophrenia.
Thomas Szasz 1920–2012, Hungarian-born psychiatrist
Nice work.

The mythology may be irrational.

The rituals certainly aren't scientific.

But much of what I've read in the canon of various world religions is very rational. Cultivating virtues, character, and ethics provides meaning to life and actually can lead to a physically and emotionally healthy life liberated from the slavery of desire, materialism, degradation.

Nice work.

But much of what I've read in the canon of various world religions is very rational. Cultivating virtues, character, and ethics provides meaning to life and actually can lead to a physically and emotionally healthy life liberated from the slavery of desire, materialism, degradation.

And absent of religion those same things can be done.

Nice work.

Agreed. IMO, it goes to the power of positive thinking.

Most of the comments on JPP are fear-based; lots of false accusations and dire warnings of what might be. E.g. The Mexicans are coming, the Mexicans are coming!

Education, rational thought and a calm demeanor help people find reasonable solutions. In the case of illegal immigration the rational solution is immigration reform, not building a single line of defense with debatable effectiveness.

The world religions that helped decent societies form became the most popular in their day

Now logic and science can provide the gap religion filled in a world of mystery that use to exist

Religion was formed to fill in and ease the human brains need for answers

Now we have rational means to real answers to fill that need

For me it is MORE BEAUTIFUL than the answers religion temporarily provided

Religion was formed to fill in and ease the human brains need for answers

Now we have rational means to real answers to fill that need

For me it is MORE BEAUTIFUL than the answers religion temporarily provided
True that reason fills in a lot of answers. OTOH, it doesn’t fill the need for spiritual fulfillment.

Notice that, while membership in organized religions has dropped, human spiritual beliefs have not.

Science and atheism don't have any binding, universal ethical framework.

If everybody was out there deciding for themselves what morality means, there would be no consistent vision of what constitutes morally upright behavior.

Even when we are agnostic or atheist, and even when we strip away the religious language, we are still practicing the inherited binding moral framework we adopted from our two thousand year embrace of Judaism, Christianity, Buddhism', Islam, depending on where we live. History and geography is in our DNA.

True that reason fills in a lot of answers. OTOH, it doesn’t fill the need for spiritual fulfillment.

Notice that, while membership in organized religions has dropped, human spiritual beliefs have not.

But in todays world it does

That spiritual need to UNDERSTAND what truth is

For me science and logic fit perfectly in with morality and being a decent human

More beautiful than any religion I have run across

But in todays world it does

That spiritual need to UNDERSTAND what truth is

For me science and logic fit perfectly in with morality and being a decent human

More beautiful than any religion I have run across
Agreed, as far as it goes.

Still, at least for me, there’s a wonder about what’s beyond the physical.

Back