Prove to me that God doesn’t exist

I don't understand why people say you cannot prove a negative.

"Trees do not exist." Point to a tree, there is a tree. Proof of a negative.
I don't understand it either... It's a fairly popular belief even though it is one that is very easily shown to be false.

I don't trust liars or psychos, Sybil.
Purposeful evasion of the questions asked of you.

"white marbles do not exist" is NOT a negative?

Pulling out every marble from a bag and showing that there are in fact zero white marbles within that bag is NOT proving the non-existence of white marbles?

You REALLY hate being wrong, don't you?

I don't understand it either... It's a fairly popular belief even though it is one that is very easily shown to be false.

Yes, I imagine they believe it means something, but I have not been able to understand it.

It is like "begging the question." Common misconception it means begging for a question to be asked.

Purposeful evasion of the questions asked of you.

"white marbles do not exist" is NOT a negative?

Pulling out every marble from a bag and showing that there are in fact zero white marbles within that bag is NOT proving the non-existence of white marbles?

You REALLY hate being wrong, don't you?

You live in a world of your own, don't you, Sybil? That's okay. I'm sure you're very happy inside there. :)

The fact you didn't follow the conversation is clear. The fact you continue to focus on losing your marbles is interesting.

Let's use some Geometry, specifically the Transitive Law: If A=B, and B=C, then A=C....

Given: God is Love. (1 John 4:8) "8. Whoever does not love does not know God, because God is love."
Given: God is Jealous (Exodus 34:14) "14. Do not worship any other god, for the Lord, whose name is Jealous, is a jealous God."
Given: Love is not Jealous (1 Corinthians 13:4) "4. Love is patient and kind. Love is not jealous or boastful or proud 5. or rude."

By the Transitive Law, God cannot be both Love and be Jealous... One of these things is not true. I believe that Love is real, I've seen it and value it, I also believe that Love is not jealous, as I experience that. The one that therefore must not be true is the one that tells me that God is... Love... Love is. God isn't.

You can't prove or disprove the existence of God. It's simply a fruitless thing to argue because you can't argue.

Some things we will probably never have direct true knowledge of, like whether or not there are an infinite number of Fibonacci numbers

You live in a world of your own, don't you, Sybil? That's okay. I'm sure you're very happy inside there. :)

The fact you didn't follow the conversation is clear. The fact you continue to focus on losing your marbles is interesting.
Continued evasion. Answer the questions.

Let's use some Geometry, specifically the Transitive Law: If A=B, and B=C, then A=C....

Given: God is Love. (1 John 4:8) "8. Whoever does not love does not know God, because God is love."
Given: God is Jealous (Exodus 34:14) "14. Do not worship any other god, for the Lord, whose name is Jealous, is a jealous God."
Given: Love is not Jealous (1 Corinthians 13:4) "4. Love is patient and kind. Love is not jealous or boastful or proud 5. or rude."

By the Transitive Law, God cannot be both Love and be Jealous... One of these things is not true. I believe that Love is real, I've seen it and value it, I also believe that Love is not jealous, as I experience that. The one that therefore must not be true is the one that tells me that God is... Love... Love is. God isn't.

Good one, Damo!

But

Everything that is spoken regarding deity worship is and must be couched in the state of "belief". And belief does NOT wholly depend upon facts or logic. Just saying.

Good one, Damo!

But

Everything that is spoken regarding deity worship is and must be couched in the state of "belief". And belief does NOT wholly depend upon facts or logic. Just saying.

Soooo...it was a mistake for me to assume that every sane, educated and intelligent person on JPP knows the difference between facts such as those used in human technology and religion (belief systems)? That there's a difference between building and flying an airplane versus simply trying to pray people into flight?

Good one, Damo!

But

It's odd that a Buddhist like damocle would chuckle and mock discrepancies in the Bible when the Buddhist canon is full of discrepancies.

I actually felt like there is as much truth in the Dhammapada, the Dao de Jing, the Sermon on the Mount, the Bhagavad-Gita, and the Analects as there is in my undergraduate physics and chemistry textbooks... just a different kind of truth.

Originally Posted by Taichiliberal View Post
Good one, Damo!

But

Soooo...it was a mistake for me to assume that every sane, educated and intelligent person on JPP knows the difference between facts such as those used in human technology and religion (belief systems)? That there's a difference between building and flying an airplane versus simply trying to pray people into flight?

Sooo, you want to pick a fight where this none to start with. I said what I said, which wasn't about you or what you posted or believe, etc. Sorry Dutch, but I don't care to waste time going down that rabbit hole with you.

It's odd that a Buddhist like damocle would chuckle and mock discrepancies in the Bible when the Buddhist canon is full of discrepancies.

I actually felt like there is as much truth in the Dhammapada, the Dao de Jing, the Sermon on the Mount, the Bhagavad-Gita, and the Analects as there is in my undergraduate physics and chemistry textbooks... just a different kind of truth.

Faith, and religions are based upon faith, which, by its very nature, is irrational. The psych quote below draws a clear line between reality and irrationality. People who ignore facts are irrational..or simply stupid.

I believe in a greater existence beyond this physical one and see no conflict in sticking to the rules inside this one for the duration of my stay. Studying the Universe should be considered divine work and not in conflict with religious people using their brains.

https://www.oxfordreference.com/dis...2;jsessionid=8E4AA20A6C86075324E07A6EB2112F3B
If you talk to God, you are praying; if God talks to you, you have schizophrenia.
Thomas Szasz 1920–2012, Hungarian-born psychiatrist

Sooo, you want to pick a fight where this none to start with. I said what I said, which wasn't about you or what you posted or believe, etc. Sorry Dutch, but I don't care to waste time going down that rabbit hole with you.

Nobody gets me.

That's why sarcasm doesn't work well on text forums. I was pointing out that those who put faith over facts are fucking morons.

Prayer is powerful for the same reason positive thinking* is powerful. Prayer, and faith, have gotten people through some very bad situations. People who give up and resign themselves as losers are most assuredly going to end up losers.

Regardless, no matter how much faith and prayer a person has, it won't change the outcome of their flight off a 10-story Russian hospital. Physics is reality.

*Example: https://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-...ement/in-depth/positive-thinking/art-20043950
Positive thinking: Stop negative self-talk to reduce stress
Positive thinking helps with stress management and can even improve your health. Practice overcoming negative self-talk with examples provided.

Back