Raping children is evil (fact)

I responded to your post with a 'Laugh' reaction because I thought you were kidding.... but you're apparently not?
We agree in the understanding of each other's position.
Many people overlook the importance of understanding what the other is saying.

We agree in the understanding of each other's position.
Many people overlook the importance of understanding what the other is saying.
How would you differentiate between your position and moral relativism?

How would you differentiate between your position and moral relativism?
I have nothing in common with moral relativism, as you state it.

Ironically, critics use moral relativism to mean moral absolutism. That there is a universal principle that moral statements have no value because 'everything is relative.' In fact, Einstein's concept of relativity is NOT that no measurements can be made, but that they are relational.

Difference is that nothing I stated is related to moral relativism.
I don't see anything in your position that isn't moral relativism. It basically fits the definition of moral relativism, meaning that there is no objective measure of morality. There is no objective right and wrong. What's right, wrong and moral all is RELATIVE to the society you live in and the culture you're apart of.

Where do you see a difference?

I don't see anything in your position that isn't moral relativism. It basically fits the definition of moral relativism, meaning that there is no objective measure of morality. There is no objective right and wrong. What's right and wrong is RELATIVE to the society you live in and the culture you're apart of.
I never said those things--you asserted them about me wrongly.

I don't see anything in your position that isn't moral relativism. It basically fits the definition of moral relativism, meaning that there is no objective measure of morality. There is no objective right and wrong. What's right, wrong and moral all is RELATIVE to the society you live in and the culture you're apart of.

Where do you see a difference?
"It is objectively wrong to kill people" just means, "Don't kill people."

Nothing to do with relativism.

I never said those things--you asserted them about me wrongly.
what you've said:

"Moral statements are not facts."

"Ethics is just the conventions or norms a society makes for itself."

Those two thoughts are the cornerstones of moral relativism. It's opinion, not fact and it's based on society/culture.

So, again, what is the difference between your views and moral relativism?

I just said it! " other than what you define it as"
It's not my definition. It's a definition.

Moral Relativism asserts that moral standards are culturally-defined and therefore it may be impossible to determine what is truly right or wrong.

Your position on morality:

Moral statements are not facts."

It's not my definition. It's a definition.

Moral Relativism asserts that moral standards are culturally-defined and therefore it may be impossible to determine what is truly right or wrong.

Your position on morality:

Moral statements are not facts."

I never asserted that "moral standards...may be impossible to determine."
We do it all the time. Such as laws. Don't murder or you will be arrested.

Back