Saudi Arabia freezes Canada trade ties, recalls envoy

Saudi kings do not permit anyone to kiss their hands..

Were you living in KSA or not?

I have never lived in Saudi nor would I want to. As an atheist I don't imagine I would be accepted. Not sure what to make about the kissing the hand thing since I was referring to his ass, metaphorically speaking.

I have never lived in Saudi nor would I want to. As an atheist I don't imagine I would be accepted. Not sure what to make about the kissing the hand thing since I was referring to his ass, metaphorically speaking.

Well now, this just got awkward....

If you have never lived there what were you talking about?

If you have never lived there what were you talking about?

Are you of the opinion that one can never learn something about another country/culture etc unless one has actively lived there? I understand living in a place gives you insight that others will never have but you can still learn stuff without stepping foot in a country.

What do you mean what am I talking about? I assumed English was your first language? I apologize for making that assumption.

Are you of the opinion that one can never learn something about another country/culture etc unless one has actively lived there? I understand living in a place gives you insight that others will never have but you can still learn stuff without stepping foot in a country.

What do you mean what am I talking about? I assumed English was your first language? I apologize for making that assumption.

There isn't much accurate information about KSA because so few of the writers have ever been there and those that have were only there for a week.

Most American expats like living there.

"Most"? And how did you come to this conclusion? Do you know most of them? I know plenty who hate it but stay for spouses or work. If you can be an expat who likes living in a country where human rights violations take place all around you but you happen to live a bit freer and happier simply because you aren't a native and the same cultural rules might not apply to you at all or as harshly then that makes you willfully blind and a hypocrite if you ever complained about those violations. Why give a country like that your time, effort or money?

"Most"? And how did you come to this conclusion? Do you know most of them? I know plenty who hate it but stay for spouses or work. If you can be an expat who likes living in a country where human rights violations take place all around you but you happen to live a bit freer and happier simply because you aren't a native and the same cultural rules might not apply to you at all or as harshly then that makes you willfully blind and a hypocrite if you ever complained about those violations. Why give a country like that your time, effort or money?

I go to reunions.. Generally number 800 to a thousand people.. You have to be willfully stupid to have a problem with civil rights in Arabia.

A lot of expats are now third generation. Some of the benefits are education and travel as well as earning an excellent living.

I go to reunions.. Generally number 800 to a thousand people.. You have to be willfully stupid to have a problem with civil rights in Arabia.

A lot of expats are now third generation. Some of the benefits are education and travel as well as earning an excellent living.

You have to be willfully stupid to have a problem with civil rights in Saudi? Seriously?

So money keeps you quiet? Sad.

I see that you are good at jumping to conclusions.

Not a conclusion. Your own statement said expats love to live there because of the excellent living. The first statement is yours as you wrote it so..no conclusion jumping there.

Not a conclusion. Your own statement said expats love to live there because of the excellent living. The first statement is yours as you wrote it so..no conclusion jumping there.

The Saudis are gracious, friendly and hospitable. They value a civil society.. They are concervative and family oriented... If you don't like that go elsewhere.

I did see one flogging via cellphone.
It was a caning not a flogging,and it was over quickly and the guy put his shirt back on.

Saudi Arabia is a filthy rich monarchic nest of degenerates which has the USA by the balls. Canada is, in this instance, setting a moral example.
Will the USA back Canada's stance on human rights ? Haw, haw........haw.

Saudi Arabia's actions in Yemen are downright criminal, and the way they treat even their own people is frankly gross by any reasonable metric. The fact that they are a close ally of the the U.S.A (receiving tens of billions of dollars of weaponry from them) and were voted onto the human rights/womens' rights councils for the U.N speaks volumes about the leaders of both institutions.

Props to Canada on this one. :hand:

Back