Suspended for not standing for pledge!

That's ridiculous, and like Damo, you have to make up a reason for the order in spite of the all-too obvious that he was ordered to stand for the flag, not other students.

Was he talking while they were reciting the pledge?
The other students were already standing.

He was "ordered" to stand up to show respect for the others who stand for the pledge. Just as your mother would have grabbed you by the ear and stood you up for a prayer at a place where they stand for that. Even if you didn't pray.

The focus on the flag by the left is a sign that they are, in this case, being deliberately obtuse and pretending that signs of respect for others can only be construed in one way. Funny, it is usually the conservatives who we are told cannot see "shades of gray".

Ordering people to "show respect" when they are not being disruptive is kinda sad dont you think?

They just dont want the other kids to realize they dont HAVE to say the pledge. They dont want to have the kids after class ask the guy "hey why dont you stnd during the pledge?". They dont want kids thinking.

I have to go with the right wing on this , it is a matter of order and discipline to stand and sit when told to in school.
Stating the pledge or putting you hand on your heart, wearing a flag lapel pin, etc are different issues.

At least you know you're with the right-wing on this ... which should be a clue .. but it's the same issue as wearing a flag pin.

Feigned patriotism.

The teacher was demanding conformity under threat of suspension for the student, who is required by law to be in the school in the first place (as opposed to voluntarily traveling to Russia, the Western Wall or the First Pentecostal Church). How this is a matter of showing respect for other students and teachers is beyond me.

The pledge isn't a exercise in showing respect for students and teachers, it's an affirmation of allegiance to the United States of America. Quietly sitting while others stand and recite the pledge is not disrespectful to anyone anywhere.

Speaking of respect, perhaps you conformist automatons ought to respect the rights of the student to sit quietly by while the pledge is recited by those who wish to participate.

Sitting in the room or standing in the room.... NEITHER is saying the pledge. Is it?

If the teacher asks that the class stand... refusing to do so is disruptive and disrespectful to others in the room. You need to learn to seperate the standing from the actual reciting of the pledge. Whether you are silent in protest while sitting or standing does not make a difference in terms of saying the pledge or not.

Lets take another example from the opposite direction... if say Ward Churchill came to a classroom and was speaking... should a student be able to stand and turn their back on him in silent protest of what Churchill is saying?

Ordering people to "show respect" when they are not being disruptive is kinda sad dont you think?

They just dont want the other kids to realize they dont HAVE to say the pledge. They dont want to have the kids after class ask the guy "hey why dont you stnd during the pledge?". They dont want kids thinking.
I don't think I would have used my authority here.

Just like a parent one should pick and choose when to enter battle. The principal was just backing up the authority of the teacher.

What a load of bullshit... you think the kids aren't smart enough to figure out that they don't have to say the pledge unless someone is sitting? Figures. Dems do usually prefer we teach to the lowest common denominator.

At least you know you're with the right-wing on this ... which should be a clue .. but it's the same issue as wearing a flag pin.

Feigned patriotism.

wrong. I am for order and discipline in school.

I am not at all for forced stating of the pledge. I don't even do that when others do.
Pledging alliegence to a flag is just plain stupid.

I really think this is kind fo indicative of how we treat education and why we have problems with it in this country.

We are not teaching kids to think. we are teaching them to follow commands.

That's ridiculous, and like Damo, you have to make up a reason for the order in spite of the all-too obvious that he was ordered to stand for the flag, not other students.

Was he talking while they were reciting the pledge?

Again, it is you who is incapable of distinguishing between standing when asked and reciting a pledge.

To me it really rings of saying "dont let the clones know you can think inside this place".

Yeah we are first taught to conform, that has the the nature of our socieites from the beginning. That is a society.
We later learn enough to decide for ourselves. Not perfect, but nothing is.
Seems to beat chaos a bit too.

And chaos is one thing that MUST be avoided in school.

I really think this is kind fo indicative of how we treat education and why we have problems with it in this country.

You cannot teach in chaos, order is required first.

LMAO... it is the complete lack of discipline that those like you want that is destroying the schools. Tell me Desh... why is it that the lefties running the schools are so adamant about teaching to the lowest common denominator, so that no one "feels bad"?

It is your side that is hindering the ability of kids to think, because you do not challenge them to their fullest capacity for fear the slower kids will "feel bad".

The other students were already standing.

He was "ordered" to stand up to show respect for the others who stand for the pledge. Just as your mother would have grabbed you by the ear and stood you up for a prayer at a place where they stand for that. Even if you didn't pray.

The focus on the flag by the left is a sign that they are, in this case, being deliberately obtuse and pretending that signs of respect for others can only be construed in one way. Funny, it is usually the conservatives who we are told cannot see "shades of gray".

Not so my friend.

I clearly see the shades of gray as I have no problem with kids that stand and those who chose not to stand. As long as they are not being disruptive, they should have the right to think.

He was ordered to stand to show respect for the flag just as the other students were ordered to stand. This has nothing to do with student wishes, desires, or requests my brother.

Once again it is the right that takes so much stock in pretense and a belief in the goosestep.

You're right about my mother .. but it wasn't a demonstration of my respect, but rather a demonstration that I was not allowed to think. Is that what we want from students? Shouldn't we encourage an open-minded free-thinking society?

Again, it is you who is incapable of distinguishing between standing when asked and reciting a pledge.

You need to brush up on your constitutional law. Expressive conduct, such as refusing to stand during the pledge of allegiance, is protected by the first amendment. The teacher was wrong. The principal was wrong. The school policy is wrong.

Allowing children to determine when they follow the teachers instructions and when not to is indeed chaos.

Why are teachers ordered to order students to stand during the pledge?

Is respectfully keeping your seat somehow disrespectful?

Is there value in students thinking for themselves without being disruptive?

Back