The OT: how did the "old laws" become obsolete?

Obviously there are people who are in very serious condition...and who doctors think are going to die...but who recover.

But any doctor who attributes that to a god or a talisman or a birthday wish is a fucking moron.

Typical atheist response

Romans says homosexuality is a curse that includes women
Show me that quote. Anyone can claim that Romans says anything, to include that it calls corned beef an abomination. You have to provide the chapter and verse where lesbian sex is outlawed. How many posts are you going to use to just buy time?

I'm not a Bible scholar, at all. I have read the Bible. The OT reads like the document that it is - something written by ancient, rather primitive and superstitious people. And clearly, the God of the OT bears little to no resemblance to the God of the NT.

Leviticus comes up a lot because of LGBTQ, but can anyone explain to me why some Christians adhere to both the OT and NT, and some just the NT? And I think I've heard that some of the "old laws" were abolished or something, at some point?

I just don't get it. I believe God is a timeless being - at least 13 billion years old, and likely much older than that. He changed his mind and personality over the course of a few thousand years?

Christ presented a new, second way to secure everlasting life. The first was earning it yourself by adhering to the OT "law". The second was taking Jesus as your Lord and Savior and asking forgiveness (and it being given).

This second option did not invalidate the law in any sense. All those sins remained sins and offend God which is reason enough to not commit them.

Remember any time Jesus forgave someone of their sins in the NT he would say 'go forth and sin no more'. That was the goal for us.

This often gets construed as you note but incorrectly. Jesus was alway very clear that he was a Jew and intended no change to that tradition. Such a thing would invalidate his mission and sacrifice. That's why they (the Phrases) had to make up some bogus charges to have him "silenced" by the Romans.

And those actions likely are the reason Jews felt like they had to deny the Messiah as they felt responsible for killing him. And maybe they should but prophecy is not fulfilled if the Messiah lives. Its admittedly an awkward role for the Jews.

Maybe this helps.

Christ presented a new, second way to secure everlasting life. The first was earning it yourself by adhering to the OT "law". The second was taking Jesus as your Lord and Savior and asking forgiveness (and it being given).

This second option did not invalidate the law in any sense. All those sins remained sins and offend God which is reason enough to not commit them.

Remember any time Jesus forgave someone of their sins in the NT he would say 'go forth and sin no more'. That was the goal for us.

This often gets construed as you note but incorrectly. Jesus was alway very clear that he was a Jew and intended no change to that tradition. Such a thing would invalidate his mission and sacrifice. That's why they (the Phrases) had to make up some bogus charges to have him "silenced" by the Romans.

And those actions likely are the reason Jews felt like they had to deny the Messiah as they felt responsible for killing him. And maybe they should but prophecy is not fulfilled if the Messiah lives. Its admittedly an awkward role for the Jews.

Maybe this helps.

Lots of myths around.

No that is what fake Christians that are Democrats do like Biden

Should I assume that you believe real Christians keep all of God's laws? So, if your kid backtalks, you should kill him/her? If your neighbor works on the Sabbath, you should kill him/her?

Show me that quote. Anyone can claim that Romans says anything, to include that it calls corned beef an abomination. You have to provide the chapter and verse where lesbian sex is outlawed. How many posts are you going to use to just buy time?

It doesn't specify a gender. You sound like a Jew justifying homosexuality

Should I assume that you believe real Christians keep all of God's laws? So, if your kid backtalks, you should kill him/her? If your neighbor works on the Sabbath, you should kill him/her?

You show your ignorance about Christianity

It doesn't specify a gender. You sound like a Jew justifying homosexuality
Incorrect. I sound exactly like a rational adult who is simply asking you to support your claim.
You sound like an intellectual coward who is too ashamed of his own beliefs to take credit for them.

You should talk to gfm7175. He gets it right. He points to various passages in the Bible and states openly that his interpretation of those passages leads him to believe that all homosexuality is prohibited, acknowledging that a different rational adult could potentially interpret those passages differently. That acknowledgement, that some interpretation is involved, is what keeps him on the "honest" side of the fence and keeps his beliefs on solid ground (for justification purposes). Your insistence that the Bible specifically calls out lesbian sex as a sin, while you EVADE showing where that text resides, keeps you on the "dishonest" side of the fence and keeps your claims in the "dismissed" category.

If you are not going to back up your own claim, it would appear that we are done with this conversation.

You do not believe in God so I say you are an atheist

You can say whatever you want, but that does not make it so.

I am not an atheist.

For the record, I would not use "atheist" or "theist" to describe you. I would use "laughable asshole."

Incorrect. I sound exactly like a rational adult who is simply asking you to support your claim.
You sound like an intellectual coward who is too ashamed of his own beliefs to take credit for them.

You should talk to gfm7175. He gets it right. He points to various passages in the Bible and states openly that his interpretation of those passages leads him to believe that all homosexuality is prohibited, acknowledging that a different rational adult could potentially interpret those passages differently. That acknowledgement, that some interpretation is involved, is what keeps him on the "honest" side of the fence and keeps his beliefs on solid ground (for justification purposes). Your insistence that the Bible specifically calls out lesbian sex as a sin, while you EVADE showing where that text resides, keeps you on the "dishonest" side of the fence and keeps your claims in the "dismissed" category.

If you are not going to back up your own claim, it would appear that we are done with this conversation.

I did and you refuse to read it..

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Romans 1&version=NIV

18 The wrath of God is being revealed from heaven against all the godlessness and wickedness of people, who suppress the truth by their wickedness, 19 since what may be known about God is plain to them, because God has made it plain to them. 20 For since the creation of the world God’s invisible qualities—his eternal power and divine nature—have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that people are without excuse.

21 For although they knew God, they neither glorified him as God nor gave thanks to him, but their thinking became futile and their foolish hearts were darkened. 22 Although they claimed to be wise, they became fools 23 and exchanged the glory of the immortal God for images made to look like a mortal human being and birds and animals and reptiles.

24 Therefore God gave them over in the sinful desires of their hearts to sexual impurity for the degrading of their bodies with one another. 25 They exchanged the truth about God for a lie, and worshiped and served created things rather than the Creator—who is forever praised. Amen.

26 Because of this, God gave them over to shameful lusts. Even their women exchanged natural sexual relations for unnatural ones. 27 In the same way the men also abandoned natural relations with women and were inflamed with lust for one another. Men committed shameful acts with other men, and received in themselves the due penalty for their error.

28 Furthermore, just as they did not think it worthwhile to retain the knowledge of God, so God gave them over to a depraved mind, so that they do what ought not to be done. 29 They have become filled with every kind of wickedness, evil, greed and depravity. They are full of envy, murder, strife, deceit and malice. They are gossips, 30 slanderers, God-haters, insolent, arrogant and boastful; they invent ways of doing evil; they disobey their parents; 31 they have no understanding, no fidelity, no love, no mercy. 32 Although they know God’s righteous decree that those who do such things deserve death, they not only continue to do these very things but also approve of those who practice them.

I am not an atheist.

For the record, I would not use "atheist" or "theist" to describe you. I would use "laughable asshole."

See you show you do not believe in God that makes you an atheist

I am not an atheist.
Yes, you are an atheist. You lack theism. I have explained this to you. You are simply in the process of lying to yourself. From there, the lies to everyone else flow freely.

His calling you an atheist is not what makes it so. Your lack of theism is what makes you an atheist. Your inherent dishonesty is what makes you the most prolific liar on this site.

For the record, not only is "atheist" the correct word to describe you, I would also use "laughable asshole".

For me, this is the question. Why should I care about what ancient Jews on another continent believed.

do you believe that you have a soul ? one that can exist after your corporeal one dies ?

if you do then you might want to now what like minded people think about what lies ahead.

Back