Theology Question

I don't see theodicy as some massively huge metaphysical problem.

Humans have free will to choose righteousness or depravity

Most bad things that happen are a consequence free will. The only reason earthquakes are deadly is because humans have chosen to overpopulate and live in crowded cities. Most cancers are a result of us choosing to introduce synthetic chemicals and toxins into the environment. Death by flood is a consequence of choosing to live in flood plains.

A deity forcing us to be happy and secure requires taking away free will. And I am not sure if forced happiness is really something that even counts as happiness. Happiness is a state of euphoria, it doesn't say anything especially significant about the meaning and purpose of existence. Humans, almost uniquely among animals, seemed designed with a faculty for perfectibility, the desire and ability to improve one's condition

Why do you believe God is too powerless to make a world where people are happy?

I don't know what magic is. Nor ESP.

But I have communicated with a friend without aid of a telephone and solely through mind.

That's about as magical as anything I read in the New Testament, and way more magical and bizarre than anything I read in the Anelects or Dao de jing

I don't see theodicy as some massively huge metaphysical problem.

Humans have free will to choose righteousness or depravity

Most bad things that happen are a consequence free will. The only reason earthquakes are deadly is because humans have chosen to overpopulate and live in crowded cities. Most cancers are a result of us choosing to introduce synthetic chemicals and toxins into the environment. Death by flood is a consequence of choosing to live in flood plains.

A deity forcing us to be happy and secure requires taking away free will. And I am not sure if forced happiness is really something that even counts as happiness. Happiness is a state of euphoria, it doesn't say anything especially significant about the meaning and purpose of existence. Humans, almost uniquely among animals, seemed designed with a faculty for perfectibility, the desire and ability to improve one's condition

the progs believe in forced happiness. the people get forced so the oligarchs can be happy.

Back