‘Trayvon Martin’ gun range targets sold out in two days

First off you would have to establish that he was a danger to the two kids, since it seems that the only thng presented is that he beats up on his girl friends.
Unless you can prove that they were in immenant danger; then legally, no.
so we're back to 'reasonableness' again. would a reasonable person believe that someone who is drunk and violently attacked their SO, is also a danger to two kids.

If my kids were in a place where I believed their life to be in danger I would certainly return. I'm not sure what your point is here, the law does not say you cannot protect the life of your children. While it wouldn't be stand your ground, it certainly should have been used as an effective defense. Everybody wants to protect their children.

And I understand this; but I don't think the defense offered up anything that suggested he was a danger to the children; aside from what we may think and/or feel.
From what I'[ve seen, he was definetly a danger to the women he dated; but not the kids.
The key word here is "imminant", not supposed or maybe or likelyhood.

so we're back to 'reasonableness' again. would a reasonable person believe that someone who is drunk and violently attacked their SO, is also a danger to two kids.

In this particular case; because that is what we're talking about, show me any presented evidence that suggests that he was a danger to the children.

Did the boneheads complain about this one?

big-time-obama-game-3520c7b601957da9_large.jpg

[h=1]Church Carnival Game: Shoot Obama, Get a Prize![/h]http://dailyhurricane.com/2010/08/church-carnival-game-shoot-obama-get-a-prize.html

If my kids were in a place where I believed their life to be in danger I would certainly return. I'm not sure what your point is here, the law does not say you cannot protect the life of your children. While it wouldn't be stand your ground, it certainly should have been used as an effective defense. Everybody wants to protect their children.
My argument against that is that if she was truly trying the "mother bear" defense, she wouldn't have left in the first place, she would have been in the doorway to her kid's bedroom with any weapon she could find, and not let him through no matter what.

I have to agree with USFreedom, her leaving and returning with a gun(and not the police) seals it for me.

A church!!! Good grief, that is so wrong on so many levels.

yep...

1) Church promoting the use of guns on other people
2) Church promoting the use of gun on the President
3) Church promoting the use of gun on a black man
4) Church promoting the image of Obama as an alien (see birthers)

My argument against that is that if she was truly trying the "mother bear" defense, she wouldn't have left in the first place, she would have been in the doorway to her kid's bedroom with any weapon she could find, and not let him through no matter what.

I have to agree with USFreedom, her leaving and returning with a gun(and not the police) seals it for me.

Only if you consider her to be a mindless animal. In order to truly protect your children and effective defense must be brought to bear, standing around just waiting to be beat up so that he can proceed to your children is the mindless action of an animal, not one of a human. If you know it will not be effective, then you return with more effective means to protect your children. Dying or being crippled is not an effective option, even you can understand that.

Did she call the police after leaving? Did she return to protect her children to find that they were in danger?

Apparently the jury didn't believe she did, but I cannot fault her logic. I would return, do what is necessary, then face whatever consequences I may have to face.

I have to completely disagree. finding the best weapon possible is the thing to consider. too many of you anti gunners don't consider guns as the best weapon for defense, that just makes you plain wrong.

Only if you consider her to be a mindless animal. In order to truly protect your children and effective defense must be brought to bear, standing around just waiting to be beat up so that he can proceed to your children is the mindless action of an animal, not one of a human. If you know it will not be effective, then you return with more effective means to protect your children. Dying or being crippled is not an effective option, even you can understand that.

Did she call the police after leaving? Did she return to protect her children to find that they were in danger?

Apparently the jury didn't believe she did, but I cannot fault her logic. I would return, do what is necessary, then face whatever consequences I may have to face.

The point is either she's rational or irrational. If she's rationally considering her kids in danger and herself as well, why did she leave them in the first place? Why not take them with her? Why not get help from neighbors or police when she leaves? And she's irrationally afraid for her safety, why did she come back with a gun? She already had her kids in danger when she decided that they were on their own. You can't argue irrationality as a reason to leave them and then cite rationality as a reason to return with a gun. She get's one defense or the other.

The point is either she's rational or irrational. If she's rationally considering her kids in danger and herself as well, why did she leave them in the first place? Why not take them with her? Why not get help from neighbors or police when she leaves? And she's irrationally afraid for her safety, why did she come back with a gun? She already had her kids in danger when she decided that they were on their own. You can't argue irrationality as a reason to leave them and then cite rationality as a reason to return with a gun. She get's one defense or the other.

If you think you are in danger, how is leaving to get a weapon "irrational"? It's not.

Also, at different periods during an emergency the same person can act both irrationally and rationally. Stop being silly.

I have to completely disagree. finding the best weapon possible is the thing to consider. too many of you anti gunners don't consider guns as the best weapon for defense, that just makes you plain wrong.

the irony here STY is that I'm not an anti-gunner. I have no issue with people owning guns and will probably acquire one or two down the road. However I consider the "best" defense to be being somewhere else. It's amazing how often guns will not save your life and often raise the stakes in a confrontation. They may be a deterrent but how many times has owning a gun saved a gangster from getting shot? Or a cop?
While not bad in themselves they are hardly the holy grail that hardcore enthusiasts think they are.

the irony here STY is that I'm not an anti-gunner. I have no issue with people owning guns and will probably acquire one or two down the road. However I consider the "best" defense to be being somewhere else. It's amazing how often guns will not save your life and often raise the stakes in a confrontation. They may be a deterrent but how many times has owning a gun saved a gangster from getting shot? Or a cop?
While not bad in themselves they are hardly the holy grail that hardcore enthusiasts think they are.
if there were another weapon 'better' for self defense, then it would already have been employed as primary equipment for the cops. As it stands, a gun IS the best weapon for self defense. Being somewhere else isn't a defense. It's an option that one would get to choose before having to use self defense. try not mixing the two up.

Again:

Florida's law says "a person is justified in the use of deadly force and does not have a duty to retreat" if "he or she reasonably believes" it is necessary to prevent "imminent death or great bodily harm" or "the imminent commission of a forcible felony." In 1999, furthermore, the Florida Supreme Court ruled that a woman attacked by her husband in the home they share has no duty to flee.

http://reason.com/archives/2012/05/0...ing-her-ground

Back