vegetarianism in our future?

Also, I know it might sound silly and I brought this up over a year ago, buy seeds NOW for fruits and vegies....they have already tripled in price, especially for heirloom seeds that have not been genetically manipulated...but please, buy some....it can't hurt, they are in my emergency kit for the family...yes, water, canned goods, dried goods, paper products, plastic :), batteries, radio, vitamins, neosporin, medicines, first aid kit and veggie and fruit seeds and bags of miracle grow!!!!! :D LOL....

care

I swear....they are in my Emergency Kit!!!

Good idea. It's so sick as fuck that they create strains that do not produce viable seeds so people cannot become independant of Agribusiness.

I also heard that some pollens from the genetically modified GE hybrids are killing =bees, thus destroying one of the main pollinators of our food crops.

I see us going more back to the small region concept on many things as transportation costs increase. local dairies coming back instead of one that serves 4 states, bakeries, some manufacturing, etc.

I hope they can afford the carbon credits they will have to purchase to operate. They're really getting us sewn up quite tightly.

Also, I know it might sound silly and I brought this up over a year ago, buy seeds NOW for fruits and vegies....they have already tripled in price, especially for heirloom seeds that have not been genetically manipulated...but please, buy some....it can't hurt, they are in my emergency kit for the family...yes, water, canned goods, dried goods, paper products, plastic :), batteries, radio, vitamins, neosporin, medicines, first aid kit and veggie and fruit seeds and bags of miracle grow!!!!! :D LOL....

care

I swear....they are in my Emergency Kit!!!

Yep I have some heirloom bean seeds and am getting heirloom tomato seeds from an aunt soon. Heck her heirloom tomatoes are more blight resistant than any of the hybrids.

I am eatin em not just putting them in a kit.

No it's not. It's a delusional ideology which says markets forces must be honored despite national ruin.

I DID NOT say that I agreed with it, I said that this is the natural progression of it in this globalized, capitalistic, world that people seem to bow down to today, as if globalization or capitalism were a God....!!!

YOU just did NOT READ, between the lines!

;)

Care

I DID NOT say that I agreed with it, I said that this is the natural progression of it in this globalized, capitalistic, world that people seem to bow down to today, as if globalization or capitalism were a God....!!!

YOU just did NOT READ, between the lines!

;)

Care

It's not natural, people are just brainwashed into thinking it's natural, or "the way of things". People always have a right to opt out of deals which they feel are detrimental in some way. That's actual free trade.

Good idea. It's so sick as fuck that they create strains that do not produce viable seeds so people cannot become independant of Agribusiness.

I also heard that some pollens from the genetically modified GE hybrids are killing =bees, thus destroying one of the main pollinators of our food crops.

Tell me about it!

I am soooooo pissed about all of this, all in the name of capitalism disguised as bug control and propriatory bullcrap.... it has hurt us more than helped us, the individual from all that I have read on it, but reaps huge benefits for the people owning the trademarked seed...ruining the natural resistance to bugs that smaller farmers used to use, sending all pestilence to the natural and organic farmers.....and their produce is genetically engineered to be bug resistant...well the bugs gotta go somewhere, and they have wiped out the family farm...

And fruit not producing seeds that can be used and harvested is a huge problem also, for the local, family farm...

Maine is the LAST STATE in the USA that does not grow genetically modified corn in this country....IT has been illegal in my state...and let me tell you, Maine has the biggest and juiciest and tastiest corn that I have ever had in my entire life...EVER! And I have been to almost all 50 states on this taste test!!! hahahaha! I discovered it 5 years ago on vacation here, before we moved here! I had no idea WHY the corn was so good here, but it was...!

Only after I moved here last year did it all start to click...I heard on the news that Maine had it illegal to grow genetically modified corn here...so, to me, this MUST be why the corn is sooooo good!

BUT, :(, it also said that Maine was changing its law and alowing farmers to grow it if they want to starting this year.... soooooo, pretty much, the whole "good thing" will be a memory of the past, probably.....

care

Genetically altered vegies are often modified tof the produce industry not the individual grower/consumer. Tomatoes are engineered to be picked by machines , ship and store well as opposed to beng the best eating.

Gonna be in the 40's tomorrow so I'm picking my tomato plants up tonight. ;) I like the Beefstake and Arkansas Traverler varieties.

Yep I have some heirloom bean seeds and am getting heirloom tomato seeds from an aunt soon. Heck her heirloom tomatoes are more blight resistant than any of the hybrids.

I am eatin em not just putting them in a kit.
i have heirloom tomatoes, corn, carrots, green beans, squashes and cantelope....could have some others too, just can't remember....

and yes, i am growing them too uscit! BUT I AM keeping a good deal of their seed and drying it for reuse before I eat them though....

and I am getting a big water barrel that my gutter can connect to with an outlet to hook a hose to save on water...though my water with a well costs me nothing but a penny or two for the pump....it is still a waste of drinking water imo.

if all food disappeared on the grocer shelves, I suppose we could survive off of the 7 apple trees we have, even the two that are crab apples can be eaten...if not the apples, then the deer that come to feed off them!!! hahahahaha!!!

You know, another plant that could come handy is the Rose Bush....almost ALL FRUIT TREES initiated from the rose bush...also has medicinal qualities...but this is just for the far out WHAT IF scenarios of total disaster type thing, that will probably never happen!
:))

You know, on the bee thing....our Bee suppliers here in maine which we rely on heavily for the Blueberry farming that goes on here by the small farmer...my local blueberry farm in and area called Blue Hill, had to pay 5 times the price than the previous year for his bees and blueberries went sky high.... But the articles about it said that our local bee hives were intact and all bees alive here in maine....

They went WAYYYY UP in price for the bees though because other states whose Bees were annialated needed the Bees and were willing to pay anything to get them, causing the shortage from the high demand, causing the prices to skyrocket for bees and adding to higher food costs....

But here is the kicker....I wonder if Maine's bees survived and were not part of this strange massacre that is going on, because Maine grew no genetically modified product...pollen was not anything but natural?

We had one summer of bee shortage here somewhere betwee 5 and 10 years ago. Since then the bee population has really rebounded. I have no doubts that the stuff you are talking about, Care, was the culprit back then.

Care4all. Can I come live with you? You're ahead of the game. :) Is there a mister 4all?

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha! Yes, there is a Mr. 4all!!! lmao....

But you can do all of this for yourself, and from what I've seen on your posts, you would think that YOU of all people :D, would have this all figured out and set aside for your own survival, once or optimistically...when and if, the proverbial "shit" hits the fan!

Care

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha! Yes, there is a Mr. 4all!!! lmao....

But you can do all of this for yourself, and from what I've seen on your posts, you would think that YOU of all people :D, would have this all figured out and set aside for your own survival, once or optimistically...when and if, the proverbial "shit" hits the fan!

Care

Strangely no. Im mostly a lot of talk. Im actually quite lazy and dependant on the system. lol. I want to change.

Gonna be in the 40's tomorrow so I'm picking my tomato plants up tonight. ;) I like the Beefstake and Arkansas Traverler varieties.
I like beefsteak also, but I had some cherry tomatoes 2 years ago that were the sweatest tomatoes ever and also some hybrid tomatoe, like better boy or maybe it was Early bird?....that was the sweatest small to medium sized tomatoe...a real shocker being a hybrid and all....I sure wish I could remember what variety it was....

yes, I got a few weeks before things can go in the ground here....still goes below freezing at night but the days have been in the 60's...lovely weather!

Time to work the weeds out of the garden and till it though...and pick up all the limbs that we lost with the heavy snow we had this winter that are scattered all over the lawn and garden!!!

Care

Strangely no. Im mostly a lot of talk. Im actually quite lazy and dependant on the system. lol. I want to change.

Hahahahahahahahahahaha! Oh, my God! lmao..... that is some kind of admission there Asshat!

You spend hours upon hours telling everyone how doomed they are with the fixed system in the favor of the few and powerful, with warnings of the doom to come, and note the skewed system that we live in and you are not prepared for any of the emergencies that you've warned others about yourself ? if you don't take care of yourself first, you won't be able to help others when the fire hits the pan...

Don't just want to change, do it....you'll feel better...be a boyscout and think in that manner, be prepared!

It could all be for nothing...but I personally feel better....hahahahahahaha...I don't know why, but I do!

After watching how well Katrina was handled, I decided then, to get this emergency kit together cuz I just KNEW after witnessing the chaos, that there would be no one to come and help if disaster hit...

plus, i used to frequently work in nyc and the trade centers on business and 911 scared the pajesus out of me and matt....thus, as soon as we could get it together.... we moved to the hills (Maine, not too far from Canada)...got out of dodge...couldn't stand being sandwiched between new york, hartford, providence and Boston...especially if another attack happens....

i have heirloom tomatoes, corn, carrots, green beans, squashes and cantelope....could have some others too, just can't remember....

and yes, i am growing them too uscit! BUT I AM keeping a good deal of their seed and drying it for reuse before I eat them though....

and I am getting a big water barrel that my gutter can connect to with an outlet to hook a hose to save on water...though my water with a well costs me nothing but a penny or two for the pump....it is still a waste of drinking water imo.

if all food disappeared on the grocer shelves, I suppose we could survive off of the 7 apple trees we have, even the two that are crab apples can be eaten...if not the apples, then the deer that come to feed off them!!! hahahahaha!!!

You know, another plant that could come handy is the Rose Bush....almost ALL FRUIT TREES initiated from the rose bush...also has medicinal qualities...but this is just for the far out WHAT IF scenarios of total disaster type thing, that will probably never happen!
:))

yeah. I have a 10,000 gal cistern that I collect rainwater in for yard and garden watering.

I think KY is going to change the law so you can eat nuisance deer and such that you kill. Just have to report em.

Not sure about turkeys though, have to ask the fish and game guy about that.

Darned things are everywhere here. some seem to have orange blotches on them from paintballs :rolleyes:

I tried to get a job on usc's homestead. But he had no steady work. I'll just play spoons in the alley for coins and hope that works out.

Back