What kind of "Christian values" do Conservatives want?

The Dr. who is "calling the shots" for the China virus here in PA is a transgender. I think she's doing a good job. Why? Should I be critical?

Well you seem to have a problem with my points on women and LGBT people in the media. Just trying to figure out what the issue is.

If you read correctly, I said nothing like that. If I did, point it out and I will address it.

"Damn, are you blind to reality..."

This was in response to me saying that there is no Cultural Marxist conspiracy to portray women and gay people in the media.
So what did you mean? How am I blind to reality on this issue?

"Damn, are you blind to reality..."

This was in response to me saying that there is no Cultural Marxist conspiracy to portray women and gay people in the media.
So what did you mean? How am I blind to reality on this issue?

That was your last sentence. I was responding to your saying we conservatives are for open borders. Read your own post.

That was your last sentence. I was responding to your saying we conservatives are for open borders. Read your own post.

Ah, you really should have been more clear with that.
Anyway, if you check the comment again, you'll notice I didn't say Conservatives, I said Republicans. Average Conservatives don't want open borders. However, the conservative establishment and the Republican politicians do want open borders.

Ah, you really should have been more clear with that.
Anyway, if you check the comment again, you'll notice I didn't say Conservatives, I said Republicans. Average Conservatives don't want open borders. However, the conservative establishment and the Republican politicians do want open borders.

You are saying Conservatives aren't Republicans? Uh, no, we/they don't. Don't try to speak for us.

Oh, and I responded to the whole post in my first reply.

You are saying Conservatives aren't Republicans? Uh, no, we/they don't. Don't try to speak for us.

Average conservatives who tend to vote Republican are different from the Republican establishment in congress. The people who you are voting for want open borders.

Oh, and I responded to the whole post in my first reply.

I didn't see that one. In the comment I did see, you didn't specify what you were replying too.

Average conservatives who tend to vote Republican are different from the Republican establishment in congress. The people who you are voting for want open borders.

I didn't see that one. In the comment I did see, you didn't specify what you were replying too.

Bullshit.

As I said, basically the whole post, but yeah, that one specifically.
Time to go do something constructive. Good day.

People did not make hardly any distinction between the secular and the religious in antiquity.

Homer was not the object and center of religious belief anymore than Luke, Mark, or Mathew were. They are simply the authors of works that purport to testify to historical figures, religious, ethical and spiritual themes .

The gods figure prominently in the Iliad and Odyssey, and ancient Greeks considered Homer to be faithfully recording the historical events and religious significance of a heroic past. Homer was not just light reading and entertainment for greeks. It was central to their view of history, ethics, religion. 19th century archaeology has confirmed some of the historicity of the Iliad.

In that sense, Homer, as an author, is almost exactly the same as the authors of the gospels Luke, Mark and Matthew.

As for Socrates, we do not have a single word ever written by him, and some could claim he is just a rhetorical device invented by Plato to give substance to his dialogues. The weight of evidence however, is that Socrates was a noted citizen of 5th century B.C. Athens.

As for Plato, he himself believed in an immortal soul, and that there was a transcendent reality beyond the impermanence of existance on this earth. So Plato's writing itself is imbued with spirituality and mysticism.

Nice overview. Thank you.

Hey those Minoans were really something weren't they

People did not make hardly any distinction between the secular and the religious in antiquity.

Homer was not the object and center of religious belief anymore than Luke, Mark, or Mathew were. They are simply the authors of works that purport to testify to historical figures, religious, ethical and spiritual themes .

The gods figure prominently in the Iliad and Odyssey, and ancient Greeks considered Homer to be faithfully recording the historical events and religious significance of a heroic past. Homer was not just light reading and entertainment for greeks. It was central to their view of history, ethics, religion. 19th century archaeology has confirmed some of the historicity of the Iliad.

In that sense, Homer, as an author, is almost exactly the same as the authors of the gospels Luke, Mark and Matthew.

As for Socrates, we do not have a single word ever written by him, and some could claim he is just a rhetorical device invented by Plato to give substance to his dialogues. The weight of evidence however, is that Socrates was a noted citizen of 5th century B.C. Athens.

As for Plato, he himself believed in an immortal soul, and that there was a transcendent reality beyond the impermanence of existance on this earth. So Plato's writing itself is imbued with spirituality and mysticism.
"Homer was not the object and center of religious belief anymore than Luke, Mark, or Mathew were. They are simply the authors of works" that are the center of religious belief.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

"Homer was not the object and center of religious belief anymore than Luke, Mark, or Mathew were. They are simply the authors of works" that are the center of religious belief.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I get the distinct impression that other than being vaguely aware of the name Homer, you actually knew nothing substantive about the significance of Homer, his works, or the profound significance of his canon to the Greeks of antiquity.

In fact, without frantically googling, I doubt you could have said anything intelligent about the Homeric canon prior to 3 microseconds before I mentioned Homer.

I will give you this history lesson for free: the Greeks of antiquity considered the Homeric canon to be a faithful rendering and testimony of actual historic and religious events of a bygone heroic age with profound ethical and moral lessons.

Which is fundamentally exactly how how early Christians viewed the synoptic Gospels of Mark, Mathew, and Luke

So even though you were chuckling and yucking it up that it was preposterous to make any analogy between the Homeric canon and the gospel NT canon, all you suceeded in demonstrating is that you should refrain from making declarative statements about subjects you know nothing about

Last edited:
Didn't the author of the Anabasis also write about Socrates, and turn him into a rather different sort of figure - which would seem to me quite strong evidence that he did exist, and could be strongly disagreed about. I'd also take it for granted that no Athenian and no early Christian would make up an admirable figure and then have him condemned to a depressing sort of legal death.

Didn't the author of the Anabasis also write about Socrates, and turn him into a rather different sort of figure - which would seem to me quite strong evidence that he did exist, and could be strongly disagreed about. I'd also take it for granted that no Athenian and no early Christian would make up an admirable figure and then have him condemned to a depressing sort of legal death.

I do not know anything about Anabasis, but the weight of evidence clearly points the to actual historicity of Socrates. Sophocles, or one of the other Greek playwrights, also wrote a play that lampooned Socrates. It defies belief that Plato would have invented Socrates out of thin air.

I agree it strains credibility that people as influential as Jesus, Socrates, Muhammad, or Confucius were invented out of whole cloth. I maintain there is zero percent doubt there is a historicity behind those individuals

Back