What's a Preacher to do?

It always depends.

The "New Covenant" removed restrictions placed on you to keep yourself "holy" enough to go to the temple. Like staying away from your woman during her period, etc. However it did not take away one single "sin". Those things that were sinful in the Old Testament, remained so in the New Testament. Christ even spoke directly to that when he said he took nothing away, but came to fulfill the prophecy.

People often confuse these things and start in on whether or not you can wear a shirt that is a polyester/cotton mix (which was a purity requirement, not a "sin"), or whether it's okay to pleasure your spouse with your mouth (sin). While some Christians today often ignore "sins", much of what Christians ignore are the requirements for purity, like not eating Pork.

that is my understanding as well...

apparently the UCC uses a different bible...

also, this is nothing to do with loving the sinner. it is the way the it is. i am sinner and do not claim to be better than a homosexual....but to say that homosexuality is not a sin in the bible is....well....wrong and clearly not a true reading of the bible...

Romans 1:26-27 (King James Version)

26For this cause God gave them up unto vile affections: for even their women did change the natural use into that which is against nature:

27And likewise also the men, leaving the natural use of the woman, burned in their lust one toward another; men with men working that which is unseemly, and receiving in themselves that recompence of their error which was meet.

1 Corinthians 6:9-10 (King James Version)

9Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind,

10Nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners, shall inherit the kingdom of God.

Jude 1:7 (King James Version)

7Even as Sodom and Gomorrha, and the cities about them in like manner, giving themselves over to fornication, and going after strange flesh, are set forth for an example, suffering the vengeance of eternal fire.

also, this is nothing to do with loving the sinner. it is the way the it is. i am sinner and do not claim to be better than a homosexual....but to say that homosexuality is not a sin in the bible is....well....wrong and clearly not a true reading of the bible...

26For this cause God gave them up unto vile affections: for even their women did change the natural use into that which is against nature:

27And likewise also the men, leaving the natural use of the woman, burned in their lust one toward another; men with men working that which is unseemly, and receiving in themselves that recompence of their error which was meet.

9Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind,

10Nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners, shall inherit the kingdom of God.

7Even as Sodom and Gomorrha, and the cities about them in like manner, giving themselves over to fornication, and going after strange flesh, are set forth for an example, suffering the vengeance of eternal fire.

Ok, now you are posting new testament quotes. That works fine.

I'm still waiting for you to prove this. :)

I know you two have a history, but why press the matter when he has already said he isn't going to answer?

If its church policy and its what he believes is right, why would you care whether the UCC married gays or the JP married them?

I know you two have a history, but why press the matter when he has already said he isn't going to answer?

If its church policy and its what he believes is right, why would you care whether the UCC married gays or the JP married them?
Just as I posted earlier, I'd like to find out what kind of intellectual back flips MM or UCC went through in order to tell the lie.

Nevermind, don't answer that last question. I can see this has little to do with the actual question of marrying homosexuals.

the new testament also condones slavery. I take it you're OK with that?

Just because it says something's OK doesn't mean it's a sin if if don't agree. Nice attempt by you to derail; but still a failure.

so...you are willing to admit that some of the positions taken by New Testament authors are not necessarily relevant in the 21st century?

Not without going in depth to a specific issue. So how is homosexuality not a sin now?

Why is slavery verboten now? WHy are women allowed positions of authority in society and in the church now? The new testament authors spoke pretty clearly about those issues, yet now, society - and the church itself - views them differently. how do you justify that?

Nevermind, don't answer that last question. I can see this has little to do with the actual question of marrying homosexuals.

it actually does. how can a church marry homosexuals if the bible is unequivocal on that type of relationship being a sin? how come murder and lying is not a sin?

Back