Whole prices soar

Damo , I know Clinton was not perfect but he did help to prove that cutting certain types of spending and spending on things which create jobs and create better educated workers helps the economy. What Bush and the core of this current R party have given is is near total disastor for the American people.

That is the first thing you have said on this thread that I agree with. He did do a good job relative to anyone else since 1960. But where we disagree is in the fact that he could not have done it without Congress. There simply is no way for the President to create the budget without them.

On Bush and the Rep Congress, we agree.

He sure can use a veto pen

Yes, the President CAN use a veto pen. Something Bush was bad at for the first seven years.

But that again does not change the fact that the Clinton budgets could not have been signed by Clinton WITHOUT the Rep Congress. It just is not possible.

Laugh as you will, the nation had already entered recession, projected numbers were not going to match because the projections were based on the boom. Again, it is preposterous to consider a projected number based on the previous years to be an accurate measure of the future.

Exactly. It is like investing in the Jacobs internet fund in 2000 because you project it will do the same as it did in 1999. Only an idiot would make a projection based solely on past performance.

Do you really think the president who has veto power has no control over congress?

No Desh, I do not think a President has "no control". But I guarantee you that Clinton did not have the power to force Congress to do everything he wanted. There had to be compromise. That was the only way it was going to get done.

congress is supposed to have co-authority over budgetary matters.

The executive branch wield the most power in terms of trade policy, monetary policy (Department of Treasury), and regulatory policy.

Trade, monetary policy, and regulatory policy have played a huge role in driving us towards the cliff.

congress is supposed to have co-authority over budgetary matters.

The executive branch wield the most power in terms of trade policy, monetary policy (Department of Treasury), and regulatory policy.

Trade, monetary policy, and regulatory policy have played a huge role in driving us towards the cliff.
Congress has sole authority over all expenditures. Every spending bill must originate from there. The Executive branch gets around it by having somebody in their party introduce their expenditure bill, which either gets changed or passed...

It is a guideline and hope, it certainly isn't co-authority.

Congress has sole authority over all expenditures. Every spending bill must originate from there. The Executive branch gets around it by having somebody in their party introduce their expenditure bill, which either gets changed or passed...

It is a guideline and hope, it certainly isn't co-authority.

Expenditures aren't the same as enforcement and implementation. Those are executive authorities.

Its laughable to suggest that BushCo's stewardship of trade policy, monetary policy, and regulatory policy have been anything short of disastorous.

LOL. Yes, it is twist and spin to continuously predit something that is inevitable in a cyclical environment then crow about how "right" you were when it finally comes.

Umm predicting economic events a years ahead get some people high paying jobs :)

belittle my predictions all you want. I was right and you were wrong.
I have never seen anyone who want to have their cake and eat it too as bad as you ;)

Umm predicting economic events a years ahead get some people high paying jobs :)

belittle my predictions all you want. I was right and you were wrong.
I have never seen anyone who want to have their cake and eat it too as bad as you ;)
Where was I wrong? I have said from the beginning that if you predict it long enough it will come true. That isn't wrong, in fact it is the opposite.

I do mock you for "predicting" an inevitability in a cycle.

I can predict night when the sun goes to the other side of the planet and be "right", but it doesn't make me smart.

Where was I wrong? I have said from the beginning that if you predict it long enough it will come true. That isn't wrong, in fact it is the opposite.

I do mock you for "predicting" an inevitability in a cycle.

I can predict night when the sun goes to the other side of the planet and be "right", but it doesn't make me smart.

ohh since it was such an inevitable event in a cycle why did not the experts "predict" it until it started happening ?

All I remember is that me, Al Gore, and USC said years ago, that bush's economic, tax, and fiscal policies wouldn't result in any prosperous, broadly based economic boom, and would in fact, ultimately result in disaster.

I guess we were right.

ohh since it was such an inevitable event in a cycle why did not the experts "predict" it until it started happening ?
*SIGH* Predicting it is fine. However, predicting it for 8 years running then crowing about success isn't a prediction, it is repetition.

If you say it long enough, at some point you will be right when it is inevitable.

It would be like me saying, "It's going to be night, RIGHT NOW!" over and over and over, at one single point I would be right. But saying I have amazing predictive powers would be a stretch.

This one does not appear to be a typical down turn.

I agree. I think it will be harsher than any we have felt for a long time. Because this time it is housing that is hurting. In the 2000-2003 downturn, people were still able to borrow against their increasing home values and use that as a source of funding. They are not going to be able to do that anymore.

This one does not appear to be a typical down turn.
This one has been building since 1993 when the regulations were changed to force banks to give loans to people they otherwise would not. I believe it will be nasty.

*SIGH* Predicting it is fine. However, predicting it for 8 years running then crowing about success isn't a prediction, it is repetition.

If you say it long enough, at some point you will be right when it is inevitable.

It would be like me saying, "It's going to be night, RIGHT NOW!" over and over and over, at one single point I would be right. But saying I have amazing predictive powers would be a stretch.

Now you are being disingenious, 8 years ?

Back