Why do Christians believe in Jesus when He's NOWHERE in the Hebrew Bible?

Well, you are lucky because God visited you directly in your apartment back in the 70's. Not everyone gets lucky. Most people (apparently including Mother Theresa from time to time) have to go on the "hope" that God is there without any real sense of it.

I find people who act like religion is somehow patently obviously TRUE are usually the ones who never really looked at their own faith. They just swallow whole whatever their imagination told them or whatever their parents told them.

Clearly people called to "burn" unbelievers are a different lot. In order to BURN people alive I am guessing it would take a rock-solid version of religion that could not be questioned.

A majority of people claim there religion is whatever church and denomination the were raised in without ever thinking about it.
I was lucky ,I never went to church,had zero religious teaching,knew nothing about the Bible,Jesus ,the Holy Spirit, when Chosen,I was a blank slate.

A majority of people claim there religion is whatever church and denomination the were raised in without ever thinking about it.
I was lucky ,I never went to church,had zero religious teaching,knew nothing about the Bible,Jesus ,the Holy Spirit, when Chosen,I was a blank slate.

It must have been hard avoiding ANY knowledge of Christianity before your revelation. How did you do it? Were you living "off the grid" and had never seen a TV or movie or read a book?

I am always fascinated by people who discover Christianity on their own without ever hearing anything whatsoever about it. Because, you know, even uncivilized tribes in the deepest jungles have been introduced to Christianity.

Were you raised in a subsaharan African country? Which one?

The COOLEST aspect is when people discover, without the Bible or any sort of religious teachings, the concepts behind the Trinity and Grace-centered salvation. AND, what is even MORE amazing is when they, using only the power of their mind, can have discovered the existence of a poor itinerant preacher in the middle of a small outpost Roman colony 2000 years ago. ALL WITHOUT ANY KNOWLEDGE OF THE RELIGION ITSELF!

I would call that as close to a "miracle" as anything I've seen.

It must have been hard avoiding ANY knowledge of Christianity before your revelation. How did you do it? Were you living "off the grid" and had never seen a TV or movie or read a book?

I am always fascinated by people who discover Christianity on their own without ever hearing anything whatsoever about it. Because, you know, even uncivilized tribes in the deepest jungles have been introduced to Christianity.

Were you raised in a subsaharan African country? Which one?

I saw reference in movies ,but that's about it.
And I never paid attention to any of it.
In retrospect I suppose the first time I had any thought about religion is when my mother married a Jew.
I knew Jews had something to do with the Bible.

The COOLEST aspect is when people discover, without the Bible or any sort of religious teachings, the concepts behind the Trinity and Grace-centered salvation. AND, what is even MORE amazing is when they, using only the power of their mind, can have discovered the existence of a poor itinerant preacher in the middle of a small outpost Roman colony 2000 years ago. ALL WITHOUT ANY KNOWLEDGE OF THE RELIGION ITSELF!

I would call that as close to a "miracle" as anything I've seen.

That's what happened to me, long after my Epiphany I finally bought a Bible and started reading,but the Holy Spirit was always the main influence more than the book.

I saw reference in movies ,but that's about it.

But you didn't allow it to stick in your memory in any way. Got it.

And I never paid attention to any of it.

Wish I could shut off attention that solidly. I hate seeing mattress commercials but I can still sing their jingles whether I want to or not.

In retrospect I suppose the first time I had any thought about religion is when my mother married a Jew.
I knew Jews had something to do with the Bible.

Yeah, that's about the limit of most normal people's understanding of Judaism is.

But you didn't allow it to stick in your memory in any way. Got it.

Wish I could shut off attention that solidly. I hate seeing mattress commercials but I can still sing their jingles whether I want to or not.

Yeah, that's about the limit of most normal people's understanding of Judaism is.

I was self absorbed! I was the center of my very small universe!
My universe didn't expand farther than S. Toledo

That's what happened to me, long after my Epiphany I finally bought a Bible and started reading,but the Holy Spirit was always the main influence more than the book.

Wow. Seriously wow.

You had never heard of Jesus at all before and then one day you imagined an itinerant preacher in the area of modern Day Israel who 2000 years ago was actually God made flesh and whose death was a sacrifice to atone all men to God if only they accepted that sacrifice done on their behalf?

I honestly am kind of shaken by that knowledge that THAT happened. That honestly sounds pretty far out.

Still, that would count as a miracle if it happened like that.

Wow. Seriously wow.

You had never heard of Jesus at all before and then one day you imagined an itinerant preacher in the area of modern Day Israel who 2000 years ago was actually God made flesh and whose death was a sacrifice to atone all men to God if only they accepted that sacrifice done on their behalf?

I honestly am kind of shaken by that knowledge that THAT happened. That honestly sounds pretty far out.

"I AM FULL OF SHIT"

Wow. Seriously wow.

Not like that at all ,I knew Jesus was the center of Christianity. I saw pictures of him,on the very few times I thought about Jesus,it made absolutely no sense to me.
Here's this one Jesus,but you have Catholics,Lutherans,Baptist,Methodists, ETC.,all with their own spin.That's as far as it went,all my friends went to church,sunday school,got confirmed, the whole bit.
I never did any of that.

Dutch, I've gone through quickly and found a list of the number of times you have "diagnosed" pretty much everyone at some point on this forum. I am curious why you think you are in a position to diagnose mental illness given that you are only a "hobbyist" psychologist and not a REAL one.

Are you, perchance, projecting on ALL of these?

Here you go:

To be fair to dutch

Those posters he commented on are insane

Back