Why do Christians believe in Jesus when He's NOWHERE in the Hebrew Bible?

Horseshit!
Why did Confucius, Plato, The Buddha, Jesus, Muhammad have followers and disciples who wanted to be taught, if a sophisticated ethical framework such as the one we inherited from the Axial Age just comes naturally to humans through our biology and is as easy as pie to understand and cultivate?

I really would like a credible explanation for why those prophets had followers if that's the case.

Why did Confucius, Plato, The Buddha, Jesus, Muhammad have followers and disciples who wanted to be taught, if a sophisticated ethical framework such as the one we inherited from the Axial Age just comes naturally to humans through our biology and is as easy as pie to understand and cultivate?

I really would like a credible explanation for why those prophets had followers if that's the case.

You remind me of other Christians who keep repeating the same question over and over and ignore everyone responding.

Reflections on the Axial Age

...the function of religion evolved from cosmic maintenance in pre-Axial Age times to personal transformation in the Axial era. As human beings began
to interpret themselves as individuals ontologically separate from one another, existence is problematized and new solutions are sought and implemented. The concern for morality intensifies, and virtue and discipline are heralded as laudable goals. New, more expansive understandings of ultimate reality are put forward and advanced. The significance of these developments for human culture can hardly be overestimated.

Mark Muesse, professor of religious studies

Another good research project is to compare the Greek literature of the preclassical age, to the literature from the Axial Age religious thinkers.

In Homer, the lesson is that preclassical Greek ethical standards are bound up in personal honor, reputation, and abiding concern with what other people think about you.

Almost completely absent is an emphasis on mercy, charity, universal compassion, humility.

It's not to say charity and mercy were never practiced in preclassical Greece. It was just considered optional and not part of a binding sacrosanct moral obligation.

You remind me of other Christians who keep repeating the same question over and over and ignore everyone responding.

Chirstian?
I spent the last three weeks reading the Dhammapada and The Daodejing which are sacred Buddhist and Daoist canonical texts.

I have been more effective at countering holy roller complaints about evolution and abiogenesis than you ever have been.

You spend so much time diagnosing people. I am curious what drives that.

As for a flash ace pilot, well, maybe you got your name on the wing. You hang around with people and they don't suspect a thing.

Why does that bother you so much, Perry PhD? It was part of my job to assess who could be reliable in a tough situation and to decide what to do with those who could become reliable with training or who needed to be ushered out.

You're free to fantasize, Perry. It could help you decompress.

Chirstian?
I spent the last three weeks reading the Dhammapada and The Daodejing which are sacred Buddhist and Daoist canonical texts.

I have been more effective at countering holy roller complaints about evolution and abiogenesis than you ever have been.

Ok, you're a Christian who lies about it.

Ok, you're a Christian who lies about it.

you must have been traumatized by whatever Fundy church your parents dragged you to, because you relentlessly hallucinate about the religious Boogeyman being under your bed.

I haven't invoked God in any of my arguments as the basis for morals.

You can search until the cows come home, and you won't find a post from me like that.

I think about religion historically.

The Buddha, Confucius, and Jesus were real people who said real things which really made it into canonical written texts that anyone can read. It doesn't depend on the existence of any gods.

The obligatory ethical dimension to human life were actively thought up and taught to others by these Axial Age thinkers. That's a basic historical fact independent of the supposed existence of gods. And I think it's safe to say that Buddha, Jesus, Muhammad, Confucius were vastly more important to the ethical dimension of the human experience than Karl Marx, Frederich Nietzsche, and Albert Camus.

Last edited:
The fact that you, as well as numerous others, don't even remotely come close to emulating the example of Jesus is unequivocal proof that the moral standards of the $/Sermon on the Mount, the eightfold nobel path, the five vows of Jainism don't come naturally or easily to many humans.

It's something we have to choose to work towards.

I'm the exact opposite of Jesus!
Hence "AM I, I AM's,AM I
" Only God is truly good"!
We all fall short,even Cypress no matter how many names you drop!

None of them are Prophets!

Reflections on the Axial Age

...the function of religion evolved from cosmic maintenance in pre-Axial Age times to personal transformation in the Axial era. As human beings began
to interpret themselves as individuals ontologically separate from one another, existence is problematized and new solutions are sought and implemented. The concern for morality intensifies, and virtue and discipline are heralded as laudable goals. New, more expansive understandings of ultimate reality are put forward and advanced. The significance of these developments for human culture can hardly be overestimated.

Mark Muesse, professor of religious studies

Religions only purpose is to bring you to God!
Organized religion fails .

you must have been traumatized by whatever Fundy church your parents dragged you to, because you relentlessly hallucinate about the religious Boogeyman being under your bed.

I haven't invoked God in any of my arguments as the basis for morals.

You can search until the cows come home, and you won't find a post from me like that.

I think about religion historically.

The Buddha, Confucius, and Jesus were real people who said real things which really made it into canonical written texts that anyone can read. It doesn't depend on the existence of any gods.

The obligatory ethical dimension to human life were actively thought up and taught to others by these Axial Age thinkers. That's a basic historical fact independent of the supposed existence of gods. And I think it's safe to say that Buddha, Jesus, Muhammad, Confucius were vastly more important to the ethical dimension of the human experience than Karl Marx, Frederich Nietzsche, and Albert Camus.

boring. back to ignore

boring. back to ignore

The problem is your hatred of religion is so deep, and so virulent that you cannot even acknowledge a simple basic fact that The Buddha, Jesus, and Confucius have been more influential in the ethical dimension of the human experience than Frederich Nietzsche, Baruch Spinoza, and Voltaire.

That is just a simple, basic fact and it doesn't require a belief in any gods to acknowledge it.

Why does that bother you so much, Perry PhD? It was part of my job to assess who could be reliable in a tough situation

That is interesting. An interesting claim on your part.

Did you expend a lot of time antagonizing them and then asking them why they were annoyed?

Were you in charge of picking out other flash ace pilots like yourself?

In all reality I don't believe you were in such a position of authority or responsibility. You seem like someone who's own psychology is that of a narcissistic abuser so it would be very bad form to put someone like you in that kind of position.

But maybe that's how your organization did things. Maybe they found the least decent person they could find and used that person as a means of stressing others. You were kind of a tool of sorts. A needle.

But, again, I highly doubt it. Using a failed undergrad psych major with a REALLY shitty track record of diagnosing literally everyone as either a "paranoid schizophrenic" or "bipolar" really isn't all that rational. And I think even YOU would agree.

Back