Why do Christians believe in Jesus when He's NOWHERE in the Hebrew Bible?

But you're not a Christian ?

You don't have to be Christian or Jewish to recognize many of our moral standards and frames of reference came from a two thousand year engagement with Christianty. Just like a secular Chinese can recognize the values framework in East Asia was bequeathed to some extent by thousands of years of engagement with Buddhism and Confucianism.

"Many contemporary secular practices, categories, and judgments are in fact Christian. The Christian language is removed, but the deep Christian structure remains in the universalism of our moral ideals, the concept of the individual, the tension between our public and our private lives."

-- Charles Matthews, professor of religious studies

You don't have to be Christian or Jewish to recognize many of our moral standards and frames of reference came from a two thousand year engagement with Christianty. Just like a secular Chinese can recognize the values framework in East Asia was bequeathed to some extent by thousands of years of engagement with Buddhism and Confucianism.

So you agree you're not a Christian .

Karen Armstrong, who is a very highly regarded writer of nonfiction for history and religion wrote a whole book about the revolution in ethics and values that occurred during the Axial Age in antiquity.

I disagree with the proposition that feelings of sophisticated moral obligations and ethical imperatives just come naturally to is without even thinking about it.

I agree with Karen Armstrong that it took a religious and intellectual revolution in human thought to transform our value systems.

Karen Armstrong, who is a very highly regarded writer of nonfiction for history and religion wrote a whole book about the revolution in ethics and values that occurred during the Axial Age in antiquity.
Yes, she did, and I have read it.

Yes, she did, and I have read it.
What a great author!

In my opinion, the reason Jesus, The Buddha, Confucius, heck even Jimmy Carter are hard to emulate is precisely because the ethics they espouse and example they set don't come naturally to us and are hard to duplicate.

I disagree with the proposition that feelings of sophisticated moral obligations and ethical imperatives just come naturally to is without even thinking about it.

I agree with Karen Armstrong that it took a religious and intellectual revolution in human thought to transform our value systems.

I don't, we are born with a certain amount of knowing right from wrong,some people just ignore it.

Thinking is natural, and so is questioning and looking for answers.

It’s the concept of which came first, the chicken or the egg. Jasper’s theory is being challenged by modern studies.

What a great author!

In my opinion, the reason Jesus, The Buddha, Confucius, heck even Jimmy Carter are hard to emulate is precisely because the ethics they espouse and example they set don't come naturally to us and are hard to duplicate.
I disagree.

What a great author!

So are you going to "emulate" Jesus and walk on water,turn water to wine?

Hmmm, did you go out of your way to be dishonest by changing the quote? Because it links back to one of MY quotes.

This is indeed a new low for the boards own Mockery of Christianity.

You are really dishonest. But now you have clearly laid out what you want others to do to you.

I hope you enjoy it! :)

Back