Why do Christians believe in Jesus when He's NOWHERE in the Hebrew Bible?

don't care
Just like far rightwing holly rollers are hostile to science and empirical logic, radical leftwing militant atheists are extremley keen to deny religion has played any beneficial role in the human condition .

I'm not emotionally invested in playing for victory on one team or the other.

Whether you realize it or not, the ethical standards most people of the world admire were bequeathed to us from the religious ethical traditions that began in in Axial Age of the late first millennium BCE.

It wasn't your Great great grandfather who woke up one Saturday morning with a fully developed ethical framework in his head that he passed down the generations of your family.

Just like far rightwing holly rollers are hostile to science and empirical logic, radical leftwing militant atheists are extremley keen to deny religion has played any beneficial role in the human condition .

Whether you realize it or not, the ethical standards most people of the world admire were bequeathed to us from the religious ethical traditions that began in in Axial Age of the late first millennium BCE.

It wasn't your Great great grandfather who woke up one Saturday morning with a fully developed ethical framework in his head that he passed down the generations of your family.

You're incredibly ignorant.

Monotheism, a belief in the absolute unity and singularity of God, is central to Judaism, which regards the worship of a person as a form of idolatry. Therefore, considering Jesus a deity would be forbidden .

What is the Messiah supposed to accomplish? The Bible says that he will:

A. Build the Third Temple (Ezekiel 37:26-28).

B. Gather all Jews back to the Land of Israel (Isaiah 43:5-6).

C. Usher in an era of world peace, and end all hatred, oppression, suffering and disease. As it says: "Nation shall not lift up sword against nation, neither shall man learn war anymore." (Isaiah 2:4)

D. Spread universal knowledge of the God of Israel, which will unite humanity as one. As it says: "God will be King over all the world—on that day, God will be One and His Name will be One" (Zechariah 14:9).

The historical fact is that Jesus fulfilled none of these messianic prophecies.

Christians counter that Jesus will fulfill these in the Second Coming, but Jewish sources show that the Messiah will fulfill the prophecies outright, and no concept of a second coming exists.

Zechariah 12:10

I've never seen a far right "Holy Roller" ,they generally aren't Political. I think you're confusing Republican Evangelicals with "Holy Rollers" not remotely the same thing.

I’m sorry, this is where we disagree, I think human morality and ethics existed before religion, but I do agree religion was an influence on humans, sometimes immoral, I believe ethics developed over a long period of time by humans forming societies.

I’m sorry, this is where we disagree, I think human morality and ethics existed before religion, but I do agree religion was an influence on humans, sometimes immoral, I believe ethics developed over a long period of time by humans forming societies.

I'm not talking about the vague sort of ethics in a don't kill - don't steal type of framework. Murdering or stealing has probably been frowned upon since Homo sapiens first evolved.

I am referring to the very specific, binding moral frameworks that developed out of the Axial Age religions.

East Asia famously places enormous value on filial piety, social order and harmony, heirarchy because of their two thousand year engagement with Confucianism, whether people are consciously aware of it or not.

Even the moderate and middle-of-the-road Encyclopedia Britannica says that Christian ethics were substantially different than the conventional ethics of the Greco-Roman world.
https://www.justplainpolitics.com/s...-ethics-vs-Roman-values&p=4881385#post4881385

"Many contemporary secular practices, categories, and judgments are in fact Christian. The Christian language is removed, but the deep Christian structure remains in the universalism of our moral ideals, the concept of the individual, the tension between our public and our private lives."

-- Charles Matthews, professor of religious studies

I'm not talking about the vague sort of ethics in a don't kill - don't steal type of framework. Murdering or stealing has probably been frowned upon since Homo sapiens first evolved.

I am referring to the very specific, binding moral frameworks that developed out of the Axial Age religions.

East Asia famously places enormous value on filial piety, social order and harmony, heirarchy because of their two thousand year engagement with Confucianism, whether people are consciously aware of it or not.

Even the moderate and middle-of-the-road Encyclopedia Britannica says that Christian ethics were substantially different than the conventional ethics of the Greco-Roman world.
https://www.justplainpolitics.com/s...-ethics-vs-Roman-values&p=4881385#post4881385

But you're not a Christian ?

So you are a Christian. We know.

Back