Why don't you Libtard/ Progressives/ Democrats just say it?

1. It is the recognized source of morality that the Founders used to write the supreme law of the land.

Nonsense. Montesquieu and Locke had far more influence on the foundations of our government than Christ. What in the Constitution comes from Christ? Sorry, but I don't recall where he gave lectures on how to form a government.

The Bible is not THE source of morality. It is a source for people who can't think very well and need to be threatened with threats of eternal damnation.

Honestly, it is a pretty horrible moral code (see my Twain quote).

Nonsense. Montesquieu and Locke had far more influence on the foundations of our government than Christ. What in the Constitution comes from Christ? Sorry, but I don't recall where he gave lectures on how to form a government.

The Bible is not THE source of morality. It is a source for people who can't think very well and need to be threatened with threats of eternal damnation.

Honestly, it is a pretty horrible moral code (see my Twain quote).

Locke was influenced by Christ.

Buddhism does not claim homosexuality is evil.

Paganism accepts homosexuality as just another part of the divine that his humanity.

I think I remember Hinduism being either accepting or at least lenient of homosexuality.

Some of the Native American tribes viewed such an individual as a bridge between the lives of men and the lives of wemen.
There was no stigma in any such relationship.

We're talking specifically about morality.

Yeah, so where is the link between Locke's Christianity and the morality of the Constitution?

I can tell you what the biggest direct link is, but it does not help your argument. Locke argued for religious tolerance and the separation of church and state.

Yeah, so where is the link between Locke's Christianity and the morality of the Constitution?

I can tell you what the biggest direct link is, but it does not help your argument. Locke argued for religious tolerance and the separation of church and state.
Religious tolerance is an integral part of Christianity.

Religious tolerance is an integral part of Christianity.

Locke's maybe, but it is not a part of your Christianity. You argue that the Bible is THE source of morality and anything that offends that morality should be prohibited or actively discouraged.

Locke sought to defend his beliefs with reason and logic, not blind faith or mindless adherence to religious dogma. Further, he argued that the state had no legitimate interest in the salvation of the people. That is, the state had no business in enforcing morals based solely on religion.

Locke's maybe, but it is not a part of your Christianity. You argue that the Bible is THE source of morality and anything that offends that morality should be prohibited or actively discouraged.

Locke sought to defend his beliefs with reason and logic, not blind faith or mindless adherence to religious dogma. Further, he argued that the state had no legitimate interest in the salvation of the people. That is, the state had no business in enforcing morals based solely on religion.

Obviously you don't know my Christianity at all.

Good post, but you misunderstood my point, and admittedly I should have been more explicit. The Bible is the recognized source of morality that the Founders used to write the supreme law of the land. Jefferson was better educated than most and may have been influenced by other sources, but this is not reflective of most of the founders, who were likely to rely on the Bible as a sole source.
I need learned cites on both the underlined. Something historical, something not written as opinion by religious people trying to prop up their own beliefs. A historical text would be nice. Focusing primarily on the claims that the bible is the THE RECOGNIZED source of morality for the founders in their framing of the constitution, and that is was a SOLE SOURCE.

Locke was influenced by Christ.

John Adams was arguably the most religiously devout of the Founders. Although not a doctrinaire Christian—he once wrote to Jefferson that "the Ten Commandments and the Sermon on the Mount contain my religion"—Adams believed that the success of the American experiment in self government ultimately depended upon the virtue of the people. "We have no government armed in power capable of contending with human passions unbridled by morality and religion," Adams said in an address to the military in 1798. "Our Constitution was made only for a religious and moral people. It is totally inadequate for the governance on any other."

And this is why the Constitution is always under assault by atheist's and progressive's (usually one in the same)

1. It is the recognized source of morality that the Founders used to write the supreme law of the land.
2. The frieze consist of the entire triangular edifice. The Ten Commandments is center, prominent, indicating it relative importance.
3. Your blind devotion to the APA above all other psych experts is funny.
7. Schools would have to teach children that queer marriage is equal to traditional marriage; a lie.

1) Utter nonsense. There are several thousand years worth of history in our laws. The bible may be one source of morality, but certainly not the only source. And our founders used much more than justthe bible.

2) This often repeated claim that the 10 commandments are such a vital part of our legal system is nonsense. The first four commandments are specifically Judeo/Christian edicts concerning their religious beliefs. The fifth orders us to honor our mother & father, which is hardly the backbone of our legal system. The 7th orders us not to commit adultery. While good advice, it is hardly grand legal code. The 9th & 10th make for good social guides by ordering we not bear false witness or covet our neighbor's wife, but not really historic legal precedents. Which leaves us with the 6th and 8th as real laws. But most all legal codes had laws against murder & theft, including the Code of Hammurabi, which predates the 10 commandments.

Two commandments being common laws, and two more that have commonly been laws in many cultures does not make this the cornerstone of our legal system as you claim.

3) I don't have blind devotion to anything. I have done the research and read numerous studies by various groups and institutions that all say basically the same thing. Perhaps you should do the research as well?

7) The education should be based on science and research, and not on what you think it should say.

Good post, but you misunderstood my point, and admittedly I should have been more explicit. The Bible is the recognized source of morality that the Founders used to write the supreme law of the land. Jefferson was better educated than most and may have been influenced by other sources, but this is not reflective of most of the founders, who were likely to rely on the Bible as a sole source.

The discussion (#1 on my list from earlier) was not about the Founder's basis for laws. But was your supposition that the bible is the source of all morality. You said this in response to my asking "according to whom" is homosexuality immoral.

The founders do not come into this portion of the discussion. Your claim that the bible is the sole source of morality, and your insistence that our society use only the bible when deciding who behaves morally and who does not is what is being discussed.

Back